: Aluminum Hood Question

Junkman
04-22-06, 04:34 PM
How can you tell the difference between the hood springs for a steel hood vs. the aluminum hood springs? I have the hood, but I need the springs and some one that I heard of has a pair, but isn't sure if they are for the steel hood or the aluminum hood. If someone has a aluminum hood car and could measure the diameter of the wire, and the overall dimensions of the spring it wold be very helpful. Thanks..... The Junkman

Benzilla
04-22-06, 04:39 PM
Sorry, I can't tell you about the springs, but I always wondered something, what the advantige of having aluminum over steel? other that its probably a hell of a lot lighter, better for heat or something?

CoupeDevilleRob
04-22-06, 09:56 PM
It's probably solely a weight thing. I never knew these cars could have come with aluminum hoods. Which models, years had them?

caddydaddy
04-22-06, 10:05 PM
The 1977-1979 Fleetwood Broughams were standard with aluminum hoods, to meet weight class standards. I don't remember if it was just the California emissions spec'ed Fleetwoods, or all. The aluminum hoods were identified by a large letter "A" near the hood latch, or by using a magnet! :)
They did use different springs for the hinges. Don't use the steel hood springs in place of the aluminum ones, or you'll bend the hood! That, and it would fly up pretty dang fast when opened! You'd be amazed at how much lighter the aluminum hood is!
I do have an aluminum hood. It was on a 1978 Fleetwood Brougham that I bought for $90 a few years ago. The hood is now on my 1979 Sedan Deville, along with the FB's hinges and springs. I will see if I can measure the coil diameter for the aluminum hood springs.

davesdeville
04-23-06, 06:11 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/5225-80s-fleetwood-aluminum-hood-pict0180.jpg

Old pic from my old 78 Fleetwood's aluminum hood... sadly it went to the big junkyard in the sky with that hood still on it :crybaby:

caddydaddy
04-23-06, 12:30 PM
I measured the hinge spring and it's a bit over 1 1/4 inches diameter.

caddydaddy
04-24-06, 01:46 PM
More info on the rare aluminum hoods:

On page 2C-1 of the 1978 Cadillac Service Manual Supplement, Cadillac states the following, "Aluminum Hoods-An aluminum hood is installed on California Sedan DeVilles, all Sedan DeVilles equipped with Electronic Fuel Injection and all Federal Carburetor Broughams with Standard Emission System (NA2).
Aluminum hoods are identified by a large letter "A"
stamped on the hood reinforcement near the hood latch."

CoupeDevilleRob
04-24-06, 05:32 PM
Just when you think you know it all you learn something new. This is a cool bit of trivia. :thumbsup:

caddydaddy
04-24-06, 09:22 PM
That's why I posted it! It was discussed about a year ago on another Cadillac group I'm on, so some of them dug up some info that I didn't know.
I feel pretty lucky that I have one of the aluminum hoods!

Junkman
04-24-06, 09:36 PM
I have the hood, but I don't have the correct springs as of yet. I picked up a 78 Sedan DeVille today in Pawtucket for parts, but it has the steel hood, so I am still looking for the correct springs. The parts car has a lot of good parts, but just not all that I am looking for. Seems that all the 1970's cars are gone from the wrecking yards in this area, so you buy up every one that you come across and start your own salvage yard.....:eek:

jomor
04-24-06, 09:48 PM
My 80 Brougham D'elegance also had the aluminum hood.

N0DIH
04-25-06, 12:45 AM
Olds Diesel powered cars often got the aluminum hood and aluminum radiator core support. Look for that as well. Part of a RPO light weight option. Rumors are even some trunk lids were aluminum, but I have never seen one.

The Olds guys (Cutlass crowd) were all over aluminum hoods and core supports. Look in the Olds FAQ, there might be some carryover B/D info on the aluminum options.

Cadboy425
04-25-06, 12:50 AM
I had a 77 SDV with the Fuel Injection option that had the Aluminum hood and it was pretty light compared to my normal steel 77 CDV hood. The car was felt soo much faster than the coupe if it weren't for all the rust i'd still have it.

Junkman
06-16-06, 10:06 PM
Still looking for a pair of springs for the aluminum hood..... Possibly someone in California might come across a aluminum hood Cadillac in a salvage yard??? thanks... Junk.....

Benzilla
06-17-06, 09:16 PM
I hope someone can give me an answer, the hood on my '79 Phaeton coupe feels [B]really[B] light next to my '83's hood, I mean, I can shut it easily with one finger, and it goes up really easy too, yet no where on the options list does it say anything about an aluminum hood, does the regular hood feel this light on the '79s? Its from California if that helps.

Junkman
06-17-06, 10:25 PM
From what I have learned, all the diesels, fuel injected cars, and cars produced for sale in California all came with aluminum hoods. On the underside, on the drivers side of the hood, you will see a large A stamped into the underside frame work. I would appreciate it if you were to count the number of turns of the spring and the diameter of it also. I keep searching and one thing that I fear is that some unscrupulous seller will ship me springs for a steel hood and claim that they are for the aluminum hood. From a Cadillac history website (http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad78.htm), I got the following information......

Most broughams, all California Cadillacs and the fuel-injected DeVille sedan sported aluminum hoods.

Today, a friend dropped off a 1977 DeVille rear bumper and that had aluminum brackets that mounted the bumper to the car. Unfortunately, the brackets were badly corroded and almost half of the brackets were missing as a result. I have also found some other miscellaneous parts that were steel on some models, and aluminum on other.
Thanks.... Junk..

Benzilla
06-17-06, 11:01 PM
Ok, thing is, I couldn't find the large A like in the pic.

I'll look at the springs for you tomorrow.