: Shock Question

Timothy60
04-22-06, 02:23 PM
I would like to replace the shocks on all four corners of my 1993 Fleetwood. I'm not looking to do any modifications; I'd like just a good set of replacement units. I do not want to do this work myself. If I went to a garage or a national shock/muffler chain, would they be able to install some premium shocks or are the rear air shocks some kind of special order item? What brand shocks would you recommend? Thank you.

90Brougham350
04-22-06, 02:26 PM
Well, NODIH recommended me either the 9C1 shocks or Bilsteins, I went to Autozone this morning and ordered the Bilsteins, it was $320.00 total. Steer clear of Monroe, they wear out too quickly. Gabriel isn't a bad shock either. You can keep the air shocks if you want, but I'm dumping mine, the air shocks aren't as good and they're expensive!

Brian

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 03:31 PM
The Bilsteins are, without a doubt, the best, but if you do those at all 4 corners, the air system will no longer be a functional item.

A shop could likely get some kind of rear air shock for the rear to maintain the factory load level, but it might be pretty expensive. I'm not sure which brands might make a suitable replacement for the rears, though.

If just switching over to fuel "normal" gas shocks at all 4 corners, the Bilsteins are the best, by far.

Timothy60
04-22-06, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your advice concerning the shocks. I would really like to keep my car bone-stock, so I'd like to replace the air shocks in the back. I'll check to see if I can find some OEM replacements somewhere. I'm really not that concerned with high-speed cornering or trailer towing so the originals suit me just fine.

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 06:39 PM
Here's a whole list of ones RockAuto.com has for a '93 FWB...and it looks like there's at least an AC Delco replacement shock that works with the rear air control:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1027370&parttype=7556

None of them are really even that expensive.

pimpin88
04-22-06, 06:59 PM
not sure what they are like on the brougham, but i just got a pair of the self-leveling shocks for my 1992 buick roadmaster from autozone. they are gabriel's and cost $68 for the pair

scurling
04-23-06, 12:45 PM
I replaced my stock origninal rear air shocks with the Monroe Max Air Shock Absorbers. They have been fine. Gabriel also still makes their Air Shock too.

I went with the Monroe because they were on sale at 1/2 price, and the OEM shock were $350./pr. I found a set of OEM units listed in a parts warehouse, but I understand they are not available for ordering any longer.

The Monroes were $119/pr So, let's see.....$350. or $119. hmmmm???

Timothy60
04-23-06, 08:56 PM
I replaced my stock origninal rear air shocks with the Monroe Max Air Shock Absorbers. They have been fine. Gabriel also still makes their Air Shock too.

I went with the Monroe because they were on sale at 1/2 price, and the OEM shock were $350./pr. I found a set of OEM units listed in a parts warehouse, but I understand they are not available for ordering any longer.

The Monroes were $119/pr So, let's see.....$350. or $119. hmmmm???

Do the Monroe Max Air Shocks or the Gabriels connect to the automatic leveling system of the Caddie or does that need to be disabled when using those units?

Timothy60
04-23-06, 08:59 PM
Thanks Caddycruiser, that is a great site and they have stock AC units cheaper than any I've found. BTW, does the clay bar you spoke about remove the layers of wax already applied to the finish or does it simply remove surface impurities?

jomor
04-23-06, 09:04 PM
Bilsteins!!!!!!!!

scurling
04-23-06, 09:21 PM
THe Air Max and Gabriel are air shocks that connect to the ride height adjustment compressor system.

caddycruiser
04-23-06, 11:44 PM
Thanks Caddycruiser, that is a great site and they have stock AC units cheaper than any I've found. BTW, does the clay bar you spoke about remove the layers of wax already applied to the finish or does it simply remove surface impurities?

Not to completely hijack this thread about shocks, but the clay sometimes does remove a little bit of wax/polish on the surface, but not usually. It's main mission is to get rid of the impurities...a good wash with dish shop, and then a wax-free cleaning polish is the best way to get rid of unwanted layers of wax and start fresh.

To "start over" fresh, the best way would be...dish soap wash, clay, wash again, then polish, wax, etc...

Now, back to the shocks! I think what Scurling suggested and did is a great idea...lower cost aftermarket Monroes or Gabriels that plug right in and work with the OEM leveler:thumbsup:

N0DIH
04-24-06, 12:37 AM
If you are down on $, the Gabriel Ultra's (make sure you get 9C1 shocks, for the cop car) are the best for being cheap. They perform pretty darn good for a budget shock. But they are still $28 each. A far cry from $70+ for the Bilsteins.

But Bilsteins typically last 200K+....

Timothy60
04-24-06, 12:28 PM
THe Air Max and Gabriel are air shocks that connect to the ride height adjustment compressor system.

Did you need to use an adaptor kit to connect the Monroe Air Max rear shocks to the air lines of ride height system? If so, how did that work out and was it expensive/difficult?

Daniel4.9
04-28-06, 08:41 PM
I just replaced all four struts on my 93 Deville using Gabriel Ultra from AutoZone. It cost me $200 even with my employee discount. I put air leveling struts (they are technically struts rather than shocks) on the rear and it's had a leak since, though not as bad as before I replaced them. I finally took a good look last night and I found the driver rear is blown and leaking air and fluid. I don't know if I just got a bad one or if they are that crappy. They have lifetime warranty and I'm going to replace it, probably the other rear one also even though they don't even have 500 miles on them yet. Anyway, my question is this: has anybody tried replacing them with struts that don't have air lines? I don't really care about the self leveling feature. My main concern is the ride height. If anyone has tried it I would love to know if it sits high enough. I would like it to sit about like it does when the leveling system adjusts it up with very little load in the rear. Any input would be appreciated as I'm trying to decide what to do. Thanks in advance.

90Brougham350
04-29-06, 08:32 PM
I got Bilsteins all around and new rear springs installed Thursday. The Brougham handles like a BMW now, but it's very smooth and a very nice ride! I love 'em! Fantastic! I think they're worth the $320 I paid for them, but if you want to keep the air shocks, that's good as well. It's cool to have air shocks and see the little compressor kick in, but I like having Bilsteins that'll last me thousands and thousands of miles!

Brian

caddycruiser
04-29-06, 10:26 PM
I got Bilsteins all around and new rear springs installed Thursday. The Brougham handles like a BMW now, but it's very smooth and a very nice ride! I love 'em! Fantastic! I think they're worth the $320 I paid for them, but if you want to keep the air shocks, that's good as well. It's cool to have air shocks and see the little compressor kick in, but I like having Bilsteins that'll last me thousands and thousands of miles!

Brian

That's probably the combo I'll do if mine ever start to feel worn out--Bilsteins and new springs.

The '93, though, that's a different story...I think the rears are shot and the fronts aren't much better. The compressor is CONSTANTLY running and trying to keep the rear end up, and the whole car just floats a bit excessively. Need to figure out a solution for that one, whatever it is my father wants to do with it, if anything.