Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Recommendations on what you can do with a scratch like this?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sflowers539 
#1 ·
I almost made it a full year with the car staying immaculate but recently I drove over some road debris I could not avoid and would up with this scratch, which is near the bottom of the driver’s side door about an inch and a half long. It is pretty deep unfortunately, as you can feel it running a finger nail over it and it cut through the clear coat. I know the only way to fix it 100% perfect is to repaint the door, but I do not want to do that at this point as the scratch is near the bottom of the door and you generally need to look for it to notice it and a full door repaint would be costly relative to what I get out of it.

But I also do not want it to rust prematurely or anything like that. Do you know if body shops repair a scratch like that with things like touch up paint and a local procedure that does not involve repainting the door, or would most places want to insist on that now? Also in the meantime other than keeping the car clean and waxing it regularly is there anything else you would to do prevent the scratch from growing or rusting?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Not a great picture. Is this down to metal or just clear coat damage. All scratches on a black car look white so its hard to tell. Even deep scratches can be hidden with the right tools. Below was done by a belt on my wife's old car. A DA polisher with an aggressive compound/cutting pad was able to correct the paint.

See what results you can get with a DA polisher before going to paint. For at home touch up I would recommend the Langka system, plenty of youtube video's/articles regarding this product/method.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll look into a reasonable quality touch up paint in a pen and the Langka system. The scratch is deep down to the metal, so like I said I don't expect it to look perfect and I know it's not the ultimate long term fix but the scratch is so far out of the way I'm sure the right product will make it invisible unless you get on your knees and examine the bottom of the door.

#6 ·
With Langka and the proper color touch up paint there is no reason why you can't get a very good result. I recently bought touch up paint for my car from a vendor on eBay. I have a tri-coat color and the touch up was perfect. The label even had the colors used to match my color. It was at least twice as much as in the touch up tubes and the cost was $10.47, it even had the clear coat mixed in. Just go to eBay under touch up paint and enter your paint code.

#9 ·
I used the Langka pens, they were about $10 each for the paint and the clear coat. It looks excellent, if I get on my knees and looks where it is you can notice the touch up work a tiny bit, but it's basically impossible to notice unless you know exactly where to look in perfect lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.