: I'm REALLY thinking about getting this('79 Coupe)

Benzilla
04-21-06, 10:51 PM
Tell me what you think I should do, and how much you thing its worth, thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...keTra ck=true
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/b0_1.jpg

77CDV
04-21-06, 11:25 PM
Ben,

Based on what I can see, not more than $1000, and that's catching me in a generous mood. Have you driven it? Looked under the hood? Checked the undercarriage? It seems to have been hit on the passenger side front. Is the frame straight and unrusted? What is the interior like? Do all or most of the accessories work?

Sorry to be a Negative Nellie, but unless this is going to be, a) a parts car, b) demo derby material or, c) modified beyond all recognition, if there are any major faults in any of the above catagories, you will spend oodles more than the car will ever be worth just trying to put it all right. Unless there is more to the story (please share!), you can do far better for much less over the long haul.

Craig

sizanjdf
04-22-06, 03:23 AM
that car is only about an hr away from me, If your not going to try to get it i might, it looks pretty rough, but might go fairly cheap. Im not sure if it would be worth a trip from tennesse for a car in this shape.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-22-06, 10:02 AM
But it doesnt have Saddle colored leather....

I'd pass up on it, but thats just me. I don't like the color combo and it looks like its more work than I'd like to do.

90Brougham350
04-22-06, 10:10 AM
This link works a little better!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4633814425&fromMakeTrack=true

I'd pass it up. Too much work, and it can't even be driven off. Offer $500 if you really want it, but I'd skip it.

Brian

The Ape Man
04-22-06, 11:28 AM
shot.

Benzilla
04-22-06, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I know, but the interior is in ok condition, not great by any means, but do-able. the right front fender is not very bad, so I really don't think theres any frame damage. The body seems to be pretty str8 too. I don't know, it just really cought my eye, it looks like a diamond in the rough to me. the tranny is where it could get interesting, he says its shot...yeah.

There is a link on the page where he has a lot of pics of it, maby you should look there.

As far as for what my plans would be for it, I would first of all, re-dye the interior saddle and get some leather out of an old junk yard car, then probably paint the body Western Saddle Firemist, then get a cloth top...your right, thats a lot of work. but even the way it looks now, when I saw it, something just drew me in, it looks like theres still something there, just waiting to be brought out... maby I'm crazy, I don't know anymore.

Thanks for the info guys, and maby one or two if you need to go check out the page again to get a better idea, it dosn't sound like you really looked at it much. thanks again.

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 01:21 PM
It doesn't look bad at all to me.

Definately not flawless, but you wouldn't expect it to. Definately looks like something that, if you could get it cheap enough, would be a great project.

Benzilla
04-22-06, 01:27 PM
thats what I'm saying man! finaly, somebodys on my side lol.

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 01:46 PM

Yeah, based on what everyone had said, I was expecting some really nasty beast, but that wasn't what I saw in the pics.

I was even kind of shocked at how nice the interior, and particularly the seats, are!

Definately not the best immediate daily driver (transmission issue aside), but it would be a really cool project, I think, with just some gradual work and fixes over time.

At least from the pics, it isn't a pile of junk, that's for sure. But I'd still want to see it in person, just for verification.

90Brougham350
04-22-06, 03:28 PM
No no, I don't want you to think you shouldn't go for it based on our opinions, if you have the means to get it moving, go for it. I know what you're saying about it just kind of calling out to you, if that's the case, and you think you'd like to go for it, by all means, and take lots of pics!

Brian

77CDV
04-23-06, 02:47 PM

Ben,

I'm the last person to dissuade anyone from buying a Caddy, esp. one from the 77-79 series (my personal favorites!):) . This car is completely salvagable, you will just need lots of time, work, money and patience. If you're willing to go to the mat for this car, and it really speaks to you, then go for it. Just realize that it will be a major undertaking to bring this car back to her former self.

This is a very interesting car in that it has no options that I can see. It's a true base model DeVille, which is very rare. The lack of a vinyl top is factory correct here, and not many Caddies from this body style series came this way. Also, the lack of options means a) easy resto and, b) you can add options that the car would have had had it been ordered with them. It could be a fun project, but know what you're getting into. Absolutely invest in a factory service manual. If you know anyone who lives close to where this car is, have them check it out. She could be a great beauty again, but she needs a lot of love and TLC.

Good luck,
Craig

Benzilla
04-24-06, 09:15 PM
That would be great, unfortunatly, I have had a lot of expences lately, and I won't be able to get it. I would LOVE LOVE to have it, and if I could afford it, I would go get it right now, but right now I can't. It would cost to much to go get it and have the tranny rebuilt. :( its too bad, we could have had something great. I guess anybody elso why wants to help her out can go for it, do her good.

77CDV
04-24-06, 09:45 PM
That would be great, unfortunatly, I have had a lot of expences lately, and I won't be able to get it. I would LOVE LOVE to have it, and if I could afford it, I would go get it right now, but right now I can't. It would cost to much to go get it and have the tranny rebuilt. :( its too bad, we could have had something great. I guess anybody elso why wants to help her out can go for it, do her good.

:(

Oh, well, look on the bright side, Cadillac only made about 250,000 C-cars in 79. I have this mysterious feeling another one will pop up eventually.

Craig

Benzilla
04-24-06, 09:53 PM
haha, yeah, I hope so, right now theres one in my town that I've been chasing for like three months, but the thing is, the owner moved, so I have to hunt her down. plus its not for sale, but I think she would sell it for the right price, she dosen't take care of it, inface for the last month, it had been sitting in front of a trailer park next to a draining stream... I tryed to get some contact info on her, but the idiots I talked to gave me a fake sell phone number, so I have to keep trying. lol oh well, it will all work out in the end I guess.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-06, 09:54 PM
I thought those were D-Bodies...... :hmm:

77CDV
04-25-06, 01:01 PM
As I understand it, when GM downsized the first time in 77, the B and C cars were condensed into one series (i.e.: a LeSabre (B) is the same as an Electra (C)). In the second wave of downsizing in 85, the former B/C cars became B/D cars to differentiate them from the new FWD C cars. Not long after, GM gave up on the whole ABC platform nomenclature. However, I could be confused. It would not be the first time.

Craig

N0DIH
04-25-06, 09:44 PM
I thought C Bodies died after the 1976 model year (98/Electra's) and were not ressurected until the FWD C/H platform the Devilles (C)/Bonnevilles (H)/98's (C)/88's (H)/Electra (C)/LeSebre's (H), came on in 1985.

Chevy being the only ones not to get a C/H body for some odd reason. I guess they got to keep the B Body...

GM calls them GMT800, GM300 etc now.

Benzilla
04-27-06, 01:10 AM
I found another one, and this is really what I wanted in the first place!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/28_12.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-06, 01:00 PM
And who found that one for you.....

77CDV
04-27-06, 01:08 PM
Ben,

OK, now that's more like it! A 79 Phaeton, very classy, and very rare. Love the color. Hope you get it.:thumbsup:

Craig

Benzilla
04-27-06, 05:27 PM
And who found that one for you.....
lol, THANK YOU!:worship: :worship: :worship: you kick a*s:thumbsup:

Benzilla
04-27-06, 05:28 PM
Ben,

OK, now that's more like it! A 79 Phaeton, very classy, and very rare. Love the color. Hope you get it.:thumbsup:

Craig
I got it, it's on its way(all the way from California) $2500

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-06, 07:01 PM
Will you have it by May 11? It would be kickass if you did!!

Do a line at 6 AM then take it out around town and think that helicopters are out to get you...

Benzilla
04-27-06, 07:09 PM

Do a line at 6 AM then take it out around town and think that helicopters are out to get you...
heh, I hope so, that would be fun! I should have it in about 7-10 days.

Do a line at 6 AM then take it around town and think that helicopters are out to get you...

yeah... I do that every day anyway... Ok, j/k

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-06, 07:50 PM
Alright, I think you should ditch the E&G Grille...Henry's didn't have that and then get 'er washed up and take some niiice pics with it.

Benzilla
04-27-06, 08:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the grille, but its original, so I'll probabvly keep it, just not on the car. I can't wait 'till it gets here so I can polish it out and get some pics. I'm also DIEING to see how the 425 feels...

Benzilla
04-27-06, 08:26 PM
To me it looks like it got punched in the nose with that huge thing on there, to think somebody actually paid $1,150 to have it stuck on is sort of sad to me..
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/0d_12.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/de_12.jpg

77CDV
04-27-06, 09:45 PM
Would you believe that grille was part of the Phaeton package? It's all metal (chrome and stainless steel) and weighs mega pounds. I know, my aunt had a 79 Fleetwood with that grille and as she lived just down the street from us, guess who ended up washing and waxing the Big Blue Boat (not that I minded). If you do remove it, you'll need to get a new standard grille, as it was removed when the "Classic Cadillac" grille was installed (now really, when was the last time you saw a classic Caddy with a muzzle like that?). Also, you'll find that the paint under the grille won't match the surrounding paint (it won't have faded), and there will be rub marks where the grille has worn the paint away as it shifted slightly when the car was in motion.

It's really a sweet car and it's bound to have tons of options as part of the Phaeton package. You will love the 425, it will make you wonder what on earth they were thinking with the 4.1. Can't wait to see it all polished up!

Craig

CoupeDevilleRob
04-27-06, 09:49 PM
Ok, I'm going to toss my hat into the C/D body fiasco. The C-body from 77-84 was the Buick Electra, Olds 98 and Cadillac Deville/Fleetwood. When those four models were downsized and made FWD in 85 they kept the C-body designation and the RWD Fleetwood Brougham became the D-body.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-27-06, 09:53 PM

You'll also need to be listening to Harry Nilsson "Jump Into the Fire" to complete the whole Henry Hill thing.

Benzilla
04-27-06, 09:59 PM
You'll also need to be listening to Harry Nilsson "Jump Into the Fire" to complete the whole Henry Hill thing.
lol! I do that all the time now that I have a CD played in my '83 Coupe. I made a complete Goodfellas sound track with EVERY song on it, so that will be fun :)

Benzilla
04-27-06, 10:07 PM
Would you believe that grille was part of the Phaeton package? It's all metal (chrome and stainless steel) and weighs mega pounds. I know, my aunt had a 79 Fleetwood with that grille and as she lived just down the street from us, guess who ended up washing and waxing the Big Blue Boat (not that I minded). If you do remove it, you'll need to get a new standard grille, as it was removed when the "Classic Cadillac" grille was installed (now really, when was the last time you saw a classic Caddy with a muzzle like that?). Also, you'll find that the paint under the grille won't match the surrounding paint (it won't have faded), and there will be rub marks where the grille has worn the paint away as it shifted slightly when the car was in motion.

It's really a sweet car and it's bound to have tons of options as part of the Phaeton package. You will love the 425, it will make you wonder what on earth they were thinking with the 4.1. Can't wait to see it all polished up!

Craig
The grille was not part of the Phaeton package, infact this is the only '79 I have seen with an original Classic Cadillac grille, and not just an E&G Classics one, pretty rare probably. I just don't like the way it looks... at all. I thought about the paint under it being darker, but I think its laquer, so thats easier to shine back up right? so it shoulden't be too bad, I might wait 'till I get fresh paint(if it needs it) I just hope it will work out. I was thinking of getting a standard grille from ebay or something, but I guess I should wait untill I get it before I start modding it haha :)

77CDV
04-27-06, 10:35 PM
Guess it was a SoCal thing, but I never saw a Phaeton without that grille so I always figured it was part of the package. It's a funny thing about those firemist paints, but they tend to dull with time due to the reflected sunlight from the metallic flake breaking down the paint. My aunt's car had that problem. No matter how much I waxed and polished, it never had the mirror-like shine my mom's 77 CDV had with just the plain acrylic lacquer paint. But, from the pictures you've posted so far, the paint looks OK, so it might just shine right up with a little elbow grease. If it does, it's gonna look soooo good. They didn't call it a Magic Mirror finish for nothing!

Craig

Benzilla
04-27-06, 10:53 PM
I'm really glad to hear this:

In the 1996 Guiness book of records we note that the world record for a gas driven car without an engine overhaul is a 1979 Cadillac Deville, as of June 1 1996, with 661,183 miles. The car is owned by Don Champion of Louisville, KY.

Benzilla
04-27-06, 11:14 PM
Here's a list that I found of all the options included on the Phaeton:

Special editions for 1979 included a Custom Phaeton Coupe and Custom Phaeton Sedan, both offering styling touches intended to remind observers of the "classic" convertibles.
Features included brushed chrome moldings with flush-mounted opera lamps and the Cadillac crest; reduced-size quarter windows; a sporty convertible-like roof; "Phaeton" script on each rear quarter panel; wire wheel discs; accent striping; 45/55 Dual Comfort front seats with leather seating; and leather-trimmed steering wheel.
Phaeton editions came in three color combinations: Cotillion White with dark blue roof and white leather inside; Slate Firemist with black roof and antique state gray leather upholstery; or Western Saddle Firemist with dark brown roof and antique saddle leather seating.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-06, 11:37 PM
It's like a Biarritz for a DeVille...well sorta...

90Brougham350
04-28-06, 12:06 AM
I'm really glad to hear this:

In the 1996 Guiness book of records we note that the world record for a gas driven car without an engine overhaul is a 1979 Cadillac Deville, as of June 1 1996, with 661,183 miles. The car is owned by Don Champion of Louisville, KY.

Holy shit! That's an assload of of miles, and one bulletproof drivetrain! Course, he was probably getting like 6 psi worth of compression out of the best cylinder when it finally died, haha.

Brian