: Looking for recommendations on tires

N0DIH
04-21-06, 04:38 PM
I am getting ready to get some new rubber for my ride.

I like the idea of whitewalls, I think they look best on these cars, but I am wondering if I am better off getting something wider and overall better.

Key attributes.

Rain, gotta be good in the rain. I like the treads like the new high tech tires that have angled rain grooves and swipes to help get the water out from under the tire. I REALLY like the performance of these. But finding them in a 235 70 15 is all but impossible.

Snow, want it to be, but I have some snow tires too, so not a big deal.

Dry, must be quiet. I hate driving with noisy tires.

Cost. I can get the Goodyear Forterra triple treads for $130ish, I like, but that is $$. I would prefer cheaper, but I may end up that route. And I don't know how that tire would look on my ride.

Long life. Longer the better.

Is there larger tires that would have better selections? What is the fattest tire I can stuff under these 93-96 FW/FWB's? Can I put in a P275 60 15?

Thanks!

caddycruiser
04-21-06, 11:39 PM
I REALLY like the squared off, "bigger look" of the blackwall Michelin X-Ones on my '95, but still think I might like the Kumho's on the '93 a little bit more...

So far, in a year and a few thousand miles of driving on them, I still don't think they've started to wear. That, and the ratings you see on TireRack seem very correct to me...they grip VERY well in rain and snow, better than any of the tires on our other vehicles, in fact. One of the best parts is how quiet and silky smooth they are, a bit more than my Michelins.

In truth, though, they are made a tad undersized (not sure why, but it wasn't something I even noticed until having the Michelin'd '95 parked in the next spot over). Actually, from looking at a bunch of other off brand ww's on Fleetwoods on places like Ebay, the sizing seems pretty typical...my Michelins might just be a bit larger than usual.

Honestly, for as cheap as they are, I think they're unbeatable. The only real other common choice is the Yokohama Avid, but I've seen conflicting reviews on how long they last and also pretty poor reviews of their traction in rain & snow.

Here's some pictures I dug up, from the day my father had them installed:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/kumho1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/kumho2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/kumho3.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Parts/kumho4.jpg

As a side note, unless you plan on changing the wheels, I think sticking with a stock sized ww would be the best look for your Frost Beige FWB...blackwalls just really look AWFUL on a gold/beige one.

Oh, and the sidewall markings really aren't as visible in person as they are in those pics--I snapped them that way intentionally.

caddycruiser
04-21-06, 11:46 PM
Another option I've looked up, and am sort of interested in, are Hankooks.

They make a few different models that come in a 235-70-15 whitewall, one or two with a 80-100k mileage rating, and they seem to have very good reviews too. I was thinking of those, maybe, if these Michelins ever wear out...and I decide against a duplicate set of Kumho's for some reason.

Here's the Hankook Mileage Plus II H725 with the 80k warranty:
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/products_view_info.asp?Item_ID=22&CatID=4

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/pdf/uploads/Mileage%20Plus%20II%20H725.pdf

N0DIH
04-22-06, 12:17 AM
Those H725's look like a pretty good tire. I think Pep Boys carries them. I'll have to check Sunday.

I looked on TireRack and they don't carry the H725's in P235 70 15. Any idea on price?

I think you are right, all the picts of blackwalls have NOT been the frost beige. I have blackwalls on now, but no hubcaps, so it isn't a fair view.

I miss the alum wheels, I'll get them back on tomorrow. The snow tires gotta go... But as worn as they are, they still rock in the rain! They are the old WinterDuellers, not made anymore, similar to the Blizzaks with a touch of the WinterForce. I have a new set of WinterFire's I'll stick on the steelies for next winter.

I love having the winter tires, they really help in the snow. This car goes about anywhere in the snow...

I REALLY like the squared off, "bigger look" of the blackwall Michelin X-Ones on my '95, but still think I might like the Kumho's on the '93 a little bit more...

So far, in a year and a few thousand miles of driving on them, I still don't think they've started to wear. That, and the ratings you see on TireRack seem very correct to me...they grip VERY well in rain and snow, better than any of the tires on our other vehicles, in fact. One of the best parts is how quiet and silky smooth they are, a bit more than my Michelins.

In truth, though, they are made a tad undersized (not sure why, but it wasn't something I even noticed until having the Michelin'd '95 parked in the next spot over). Actually, from looking at a bunch of other off brand ww's on Fleetwoods on places like Ebay, the sizing seems pretty typical...my Michelins might just be a bit larger than usual.

Honestly, for as cheap as they are, I think they're unbeatable. The only real other common choice is the Yokohama Avid, but I've seen conflicting reviews on how long they last and also pretty poor reviews of their traction in rain & snow.

Here's some pictures I dug up, from the day my father had them installed:

As a side note, unless you plan on changing the wheels, I think sticking with a stock sized ww would be the best look for your Frost Beige FWB...blackwalls just really look AWFUL on a gold/beige one.

Oh, and the sidewall markings really aren't as visible in person as they are in those pics--I snapped them that way intentionally.

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 08:45 AM
Yeah, the Hankooks don't seem to cost a whole lot more than the Kumho's.

This site has the H725's at $57.90 a piece, and ALSO has the 100k warranty Mileage Plus GT H707 for $59.80:

http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html

This place also has several other choices in 235-70-15 ww's that you won't find on Tire Rack or Discount Tire.

Also interesting, the 80k H725 has a S rating (up to 112mph) and the 100k Mileage Plus is T rated (up to 118mph). There aren't a whole lot of this tire size in ww to begin with, and a T rating is even more rare.

UNCLLUIE
04-22-06, 09:02 AM
I was very happy with my Yokohama Avid Touring when I had the FLeetwood. Nice and quiet tire. Also happy with the Yokohama Aegis I think it was. Both are pretty cheap on Tire Rack

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 10:33 AM
I was very happy with my Yokohama Avid Touring when I had the FLeetwood. Nice and quiet tire. Also happy with the Yokohama Aegis I think it was. Both are pretty cheap on Tire Rack

True, and I have heard some good things about them, but also that the traction in wet or snow is not great...and that they wear okay, but not as much so as some others.

They're fairly cheap, too, but the Kumho's were around $20+ less a piece and had better ratings all around, which is why we went with those.

I'd still probably choose the Hankooks before the Yoko's, again just based on reviews of them...with the Yoko's coming in as my 3rd choice pick.

I do remember a person with a tow pack Roadmaster that had (now discontinued) Good Year Eagle GA's originally, went with the Yoko Avids, and said they perform almost identically to the GY's (not sure whether that's a good or bad thing, but he thought it was good).

N0DIH
04-22-06, 11:53 PM
I just got the old tires back on the Cad today, old Tiger Paw 235 70 15's on the factory aluminum rims. They have around 0.2 inches of tread left, so it is definately time to replace them. They are better than the snow tires I just pulled off on the steelies at least.

I think the tow package got the GA's due to the load rating on the tire. When you add 840 lbs tonque weight to the back of these cars, the weight is getting up there. I'll be the other tires were not as high load rating. Maybe it was ride too, maybe softer sidewalls with the stiffer FE2 suspension, dunno....

caddycruiser
04-23-06, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I think the GY Eagle GA's were a bit stiffer and grippier than the Michelins standard on regular Fleetwoods, hence the application of them on tow pack cars.

That said, the choices are very limited anymore if you want to stay in a stock sized whitewall (pretty much the only choice for a beige colored FWB with stock wheels).

I'm still very satisfied with the Kumho's, though, so those still get my top pick.

ShadowLvr400
04-23-06, 12:23 PM
I left whitewalls myself, in search of gripper tires. I ended up going with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. Which are actually a sport truck tire. The ride was still soft enough, but the grip perked up quite a bit. 255/60/16. Minimal rubbing issues.

caddycruiser
04-23-06, 02:31 PM
I left whitewalls myself, in search of gripper tires. I ended up going with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. Which are actually a sport truck tire. The ride was still soft enough, but the grip perked up quite a bit. 255/60/16. Minimal rubbing issues.

So you have 16" wheels? What do they look like?

N0DIH
04-24-06, 01:41 AM
Wish there was a stock looking Cad 16in wheel that I could bolt on the FW. Like the ones on the 99 Fleetwood or something (they are 6 bolt), or maybe redrill and put the FWD Deville rims on. Hmmm....

Ahh, I just need to find some SS wheels....

caddycruiser
04-24-06, 07:00 AM
Ahh, I just need to find some SS wheels....

Yep, and some Deville centercaps, and you're good to go...with several higher performance tire choices and crisper handling too. My father is actually thinking of a set of those, or something the same size in a chrome aftermarket wheel, to freshen up his Roadmaster.

Your car could be just like Revoh's then:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/542000-542999/542531_78_full.jpg

The only thing factoring into my list of cons about something larger like those is the added cost of the tires, but with the higher level of performance possible, it's a bit of a wash.

N0DIH
05-02-06, 11:00 AM
I want to get some Impala Wheels, but for now I just ordered a set of the 235/70SR15 Kumho Touring A/S 795's. They are the WW version, they look like they have a good tread and all, hope they are quiet, I hate noisy tires....

ShadowLvr400
05-02-06, 11:34 AM
So you have 16" wheels? What do they look like?

You can visit my car domain sites. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2230467 You'll see the factory wheels and tires. I don't have any current pics with the big Pirelli's on.

FrankieSixxxgun
05-02-06, 12:08 PM
I put some, "Sigma Tempest," tires on my car since they were for sale at Tire Kingdom for $30 a piece, and I'm pretty happy. Instead of the stock 225, I stuck 215's on. It makes the car look a little more classy with the narrow stance of the wheels. They're like 1/2-1" thick white walls, made in the USA, and pretty decent on the road. I don't get snow, but I do get a lot of rain in Florida and I haven't lost traction yet. They're a little louder than my roommate's Goodyears, but hey, what do you want for $30?

caddycruiser
05-02-06, 12:17 PM
I want to get some Impala Wheels, but for now I just ordered a set of the 235/70SR15 Kumho Touring A/S 795's. They are the WW version, they look like they have a good tread and all, hope they are quiet, I hate noisy tires....

Yep, they're quiet, that's for sure:thumbsup:

We always thought the '93 had a bit too much road roar with the tires on it when we got it, so quiet was demand #1. They're very quiet and ride like silk, and best of all, have quite good traction (I'm no autocrosser in the car, but it grips well in bad weather with the K's). Oh, and wear like iron, at least on our babied car.

Hope you like them a lot:) They're not overly stiff and geared for hardcore abuse, but are a perfect match for enthusiastic Fleetwood driving.

caddycruiser
05-02-06, 02:00 PM
I forgot, just out of curiousity and maybe to compare, what's on your car now?

The '93 FWB had fairly worn Atlas Pinnacle's (and now has the Kumho's), the '92 Roadie has Pep Boy's Cornell's that were new when the car was bought, and my '95 FWB has really nice Michelin X-One's, so I'm familiar with the feel of quite a few different treads on this type of car.

The Buick is going to need at least two tires by late this summer, but dad's still trying to figure out whether just to replace them with a new ww (Kumho's or what) or go for a whole new wheel/tire combo. The car has almost 200k miles, but a new set of aftermarket chromes or SS's would nicely update it.

N0DIH
05-02-06, 06:45 PM
Tiger Paws. Not tires I would likely buy them again, if they even make them anymore. They are pretty worn, they have a lot miles on them, so I guess that part is good. But they don't handle that great in anything. They do ok in the rain as long as you aren't turning. Snow? Just park it, it is much faster. When they get down in tread, they are impossible. Racing slicks are better.

I have had good results in the past with the Pep Boys Futura SE and LE. Quiet and excellent manners in any condition. I just didn't find them in WW anymore. :(

caddycruiser
05-02-06, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I don't think the Tiger Paws are that great either, nor do they make them anymore.

The reviews of most Pep Boy's tires do seem pretty good, and my dad actually semi likes the ones he has on his Roadmaster, but they're really cheap and don't impress me that much. Still, for what they cost, have performed pretty well in the past 3+ years. Just starting to get a bit dry-rotted in spots, hence the need to replace at least 2 for sure.

N0DIH
05-02-06, 09:45 PM
The SE's were very quiet, and they handled decent, excellent in snow and rain. But the sidewalls were soft like most Goodyears, so you could feel them shift.
Life was excellent, 80K+ miles was no problem.

The LE's were better for dry handling, not quite as quiet, but still very good. Those are the only ones I tried.

I had a set of SE's 215 70 15's and the LE's were 215 65 15's.

caddycruiser
05-02-06, 10:07 PM
Well, like I had said, the Kumho's aren't as stiff as something like the Michelins are on my '95, but they aren't sloppy either. Plus, back to back, they seem a lot quieter and a bit smoother than the M's. Softer, yes, but I can still carve corners quite well when I take that car (the '93) out for a spin.

But still, out of the few stock size ww choices there are, you can't beat them, especially for the combination of price, warranty, and performance.

N0DIH
05-02-06, 10:46 PM
Shame no one makes a 255 70 15 or a 255 60 15 ww.

caddycruiser
05-02-06, 11:36 PM

Yes, I know, that'd be great...more width for a more planted stance, but not much of a change in the overall fitment.

Benzilla
05-04-06, 09:46 PM
What do you guys think if Cooper Trendsetters? I have them on my '83 Coupe Deville and I like them, 215/75/r15. anybody else have them or have an opinion?

N0DIH
05-05-06, 08:57 AM
Get some P235 70 15's, they would look much better!

Bigger is better.... :)

caddycruiser
05-05-06, 09:48 AM
Yeah, unless those older wheels were narrower, a 215 tire is just too small for such a big car...

Benzilla
05-05-06, 08:29 PM
I don't like the big tire look in these cars, it looks like a monster truck from some angels, slimmer looks classier to me. infact, when I first got my '90 Brougham with 225s they looked so wide I almost got smaller ones, I have since adjusted to them. heres a pic of the '83. Sometime I want to get a set with the original whitewall width.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0292.jpg

caddycruiser
05-06-06, 11:33 AM
True. I forgot that a lot of the older ones, specifically that body style, did look better with slimmer treads, something that isn't so with the newer '93-96 ones, IMHO.

Awesome car (I wish I had found another white one when I got the '95!):thumbsup:

ShadowLvr400
05-06-06, 12:03 PM

Wait just one cotton picking second. If you're a 235/70/15, you should jump 255/65/15. Go to tirerack, and get the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's, a performance truck tire. I've gotten about 30k out of mine, and am due to replace soon. But they've handled great.

ShadowLvr400
05-06-06, 12:07 PM
However, for price, right now I'm looking at a set of Yokohama Avid S/T 245/70/15 $67 a pop. Stepping down in performance, for longevity now.

caddycruiser
05-06-06, 02:12 PM
Well, the point was no one makes a WHITEWALL in any of those wider/shorter sizes.

N0DIH
05-06-06, 05:08 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified. CaddyCruiser is right, I did mean whitewalls. I hope to get some Impala SS wheels soon, but that will likely end up next spring. The Suburban wreck is my issue now. We found a sweet 98 LT Burb for $6500 that only needs a front ujoint and has some trans shudder at lockup which I hope is only a solenoid. The trans was rebuilt at 118K it has 193K. In great shape. So we will see how it goes. I really want a K2500 though, not a K1500...

caddycruiser
05-06-06, 05:38 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified. CaddyCruiser is right, I did mean whitewalls. I hope to get some Impala SS wheels soon, but that will likely end up next spring. The Suburban wreck is my issue now. We found a sweet 98 LT Burb for $6500 that only needs a front ujoint and has some trans shudder at lockup which I hope is only a solenoid. The trans was rebuilt at 118K it has 193K. In great shape. So we will see how it goes. I really want a K2500 though, not a K1500...

Huh? Not to get terribly off topic here, but what's that like in comparison to the wrecked one you have now?

N0DIH
05-06-06, 09:50 PM
It is sharp, well taken care of, guy isn't a car guy, just drove and took to a shop. Doesn't look molested at all. My wife really liked it. Silver with dark red interior. Needs tires, but I have them already mounted/balanced on same rims. Has factory installed Bilsteins too. Most options on it (no astro roof). Even block heater, heated leather seats, G80 locking posi and 3.73's, 4x4, autotrac (auto 4wd/4wd/2wd/4LO), both key fobs, both original keys. This guy bought in 1998 from original owner. He has a 2005 now and still likes the 98, says he should have never bought the 2005....

Looks like it might be a nice deal. Very clean, doesn't look abused or run into the ground. All GM floor mats there, even a protective mat in the way back. Some "valet" starting, so I guess remote start, but he has no idea, he doesn't have the remote starter if it has it. Setup for dual batteries too.

FRANKO
05-07-06, 09:08 PM
I put Yokohama AVID Touring (P215, 70, R15, WW) on my 90 FWB. Niiice tires.

FRANKO

N0DIH
05-08-06, 02:36 AM
So far on dry, I am pleased with the Kumho's. They handle reasonably well, they are quiet. They seem to allow me to launch a little harder than the old Tiger Paw's.

Well, it is supposed to rain on tues, so we will see how they do there too.

caddycruiser
05-08-06, 09:03 AM
Sounds good. I'm still pleased with ours. They don't seem as stiff as the Michelins on the other car, but definately ride smoother and quieter.

About 2 days after the K's were mounted, it poured, and it was the first time I took off from a light without spinning and kicking the traction control on...

Did you get them from TireRack? When we got ours, they were cheap there as always, but my father wanted to buy them some place local who would do the whole works (sell the tires, dismount the old, mount the new, etc.) and where he wouldn't pay shipping, so he paid a little over $300 for it all.

On top of the tires, how much did you spend in mounting/balancing/etc. costs?

96Fleetwood
05-08-06, 09:08 AM
Good thread, I am thinking of getting a nice set of all season white walls for my stock wheels in case I ever have to head up North.

N0DIH
05-08-06, 11:52 AM
I look forward to rain now! I have my TC setup to not pull timing out during TC and just use the throttle relaxer and the brakes. It is much better and doesn't pull out so much power so long. So it recovers much quicker.

Tire Tack, $48, $231 to the door next day shipping. $40-$50 at Walmart to install and that included lifetime balance and rotation. Kuhmo's warranty required <7500 mile or so rotation to honor warranty. They are like $3.50 and $7.95 mount/balance lifetime rotation/balance.

So right at $300 for everything. They just gave me crap because they couldn't verify the speed rating on the car, there isn't a door placard and the owners manual doesn't say. Mine I think had some body work there it never got replaced. Anyone have one?

Sounds good. I'm still pleased with ours. They don't seem as stiff as the Michelins on the other car, but definately ride smoother and quieter.

About 2 days after the K's were mounted, it poured, and it was the first time I took off from a light without spinning and kicking the traction control on...

Did you get them from TireRack? When we got ours, they were cheap there as always, but my father wanted to buy them some place local who would do the whole works (sell the tires, dismount the old, mount the new, etc.) and where he wouldn't pay shipping, so he paid a little over $300 for it all.

On top of the tires, how much did you spend in mounting/balancing/etc. costs?

N0DIH
12-27-07, 07:54 PM
Well, finally the Winterfires are going on the Cad.... Just before the last storm of the year.... Yea! They are 225 70 15's, but that shouldn't be a big deal either. Only a half inch shorter or so than stock, and considering I am going from worn out tires to new, probably the same!

I should have them on tonight, going back to the tire shop to pick them up as soon as they are done.

JTraik
12-27-07, 08:26 PM
They are 225 70 15's, but that shouldn't be a big deal either. Only a half inch shorter or so than stock, and considering I am going from worn out tires to new, probably the same!

Hey if these fools can get away with it, you shouldn't have any problems my friend :D...

http://www.arianiwheels.com/images/certifiedgangster1_jpeg.jpg

N0DIH
12-27-07, 11:15 PM
It isn't my style, I get concerned on those heavy barges with such small tires that they exceed safety limits of such a small rim/tire combo....

I guess too, they aren't planning on taking those rides down the interstate at 140+ mph either..... Granted I don't either, but I have been known to do a 130+ blast now and then, but not too often.....

JTraik
12-28-07, 12:50 AM
It isn't my style, I get concerned on those heavy barges with such small tires that they exceed safety limits of such a small rim/tire combo....

I guess too, they aren't planning on taking those rides down the interstate at 140+ mph either..... Granted I don't either, but I have been known to do a 130+ blast now and then, but not too often.....

That was my point :o

Anyway, forgive me for steering your topic off the road a bit here, but what steps did you take to get your speed limiter disabled? I really want to dive in and do it myself, do you know of any good software off hand?

96Fleetwood
12-28-07, 11:44 AM
I would only recommend removing the speed limiter if you have done a few suspension modifications or your Fleetwood is in tip top shape.. or it can be dangerous... or stomach turning! :bonkers:

JTraik
12-28-07, 12:38 PM
I would only recommend removing the speed limiter if you have done a few suspension modifications or your Fleetwood is in tip top shape.. or it can be dangerous... or stomach turning! :bonkers:

Please elaborate... but it is in tip top shape.

Old Fleetwood
12-29-07, 05:19 PM
Mr. Traik -
Perhaps you will recall my encounter with a doped-up trucker some months ago on I-84 whilst wifey and I were on our way to Tufts Veterinary Clinic with one of our dogs.
The 18-wheeler finally zigged nearly into the ditch on the right so I floored my '95 FWB and moved far to the left.
I didn't look back until I was almost around the curve past the jerk.
When I looked down at the digital speedo, I found that the limiter (set to 108mph at the factory) was busted.
The number staring at me was 122.
There was no floatiness, no twitchiness, nothing out of the ordinary. I merely backed off slowly, down to cruise control 73.
As far as I know, the older Texas gent who owned the car didn't do anything special to it, but who knows?
This FWB exhibits very little "porpoising" as in up-and-down nosing of the front end on the highway as some on this BB have complained.
So I am beginning to wonder if he snuck a heavier duty front end beneath this car for Texas highway travel.
One thing for sure, during our virtual "commuting" to Tufts and back (110 miles each way) over the past few months, the drive has been an absolute pleasure in the Fleetwood.
Zero driver or passenger fatigue. Like a trip around the block.
One helluva road car.:yup:

N0DIH
12-29-07, 08:19 PM
The key is not to exceed the speed limitation of the tires. Like the GN Regal, limited to 126 mph, it got H rated tires (130 mph). GM only pulled the speed limiter on the rare (where did they go??) Secret Service GN's that had no speed limiter. The Impala SS got higher (IIRC 155, but I have to check, sorry, being lazy...), the 9C1 cars got 145ish. The Impala SS and the Fleetwood's with FE2 have the same spring RATE, but the Fleetwoods have lesser shocks. But only S or T rated tires, hence the slow top speed.

If I could pull the tune out of your FW I can get a good idea if it has been messed with or is stock. The car probably got a hand held Hypertech program on it or something honestly. Or even a local tune.

Can the FW go faster? Sure. Safely? Hmm... I don't think I have the degrees to determine that. Is it legal or illegal to remove a speed limiter? Hmmm, the lawsuits wouldn't be pretty either way. Some idiot gets a tuner to remove his speed limiter and runs the car up to 150 mph, hits another car and kills someone, the family of that driver is gonna sue someone, they don't care who. Who is right? The idiot driver? The idiot driver who paid a tuner to remove the speed limiter? The tuner? Who is at fault? It is a legal issue that I am still wondering about....

Speeding at 56 mph in a 55 or speeding at 145 in a 55, what is the difference, both broke the law. The tuner didn't have his/her foot on the gas pedal. Hmmm....

Old cars never had speed limiters. New cars do. Hmmmmm.....

Cadillacboy
12-31-07, 01:58 PM
Driver can be avare of what he/she has to do and what he/she doesn't .I removed the speed governor but it's a very rare occasion that I go over 108 w/ my stock tires . If I happen to buy more speed capable wheels then things can change but that doesn't mean I will constantly or frequently go faster than I used to be prior to tuning . Here comes another question then why on earth I bother such tuning stuff lol

tenmark
12-31-07, 03:02 PM
Glad this is an active post! Just bought a 95 FWB with fat ww and gold-line Vogues on it. About half tread depth remains (.343" new compared with .157" actual) but at speeds over 70 I'm noticing that some vibration and rattling. So I'm tossing around the possibility of getting new tires or possibly rotating and balancing the ones I have. Truthfully, if they weren't Vogue tires, I'd replace them out-right. Not sure how old they are.

Personally, I like white wall tires on Cadillacs. And the Vogues are about as fat as you can get without going to Coker tires. Anyone here have or thought about going with Cokers?

Here's my tires and factory image:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/tenmark262/DSCN7035.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/tenmark262/P235-70R15_WG.jpg

And here's a pic of the Cokers:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/tenmark262/BFG-70-Series-WW.jpg

Truthfully, in writing this, I think I'm going to rotate/balance the Vogues I have. If that doesn't work out, I'm going with the Cokers. That would be bad a$$!!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/tenmark262/DSCN6974.jpg

N0DIH
12-31-07, 03:12 PM
Vogues like the ones on your car to me look good, they make the rim look taller, which I think 16's on these cars would be nice (which GM would have!)

Cadillacboy
12-31-07, 04:04 PM
Vogues are nice looking tires yet it's bitch to keep them clean . I have Goodyear tires (from the factory ) and they also look nice !

JTraik
12-31-07, 06:51 PM
What tuning hardware and software do you guys use?

N0DIH
12-31-07, 07:37 PM
TunerCat, best hands down.....

tenmark
01-01-08, 05:02 PM
Anyone ever try tire paint for their white walls? My old-schooler dad said that's what he used to do in the 50's - paint em' up. Saw a few links and listings on eBay for rubberized paint - all mostly in the $50 range. Anyone do this in recent times and/or for less $$$?

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

http://www.rangerpaint.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIDE-WHITE-WALL-TIRE-PAINT-WHITEWALLS-T-BUCKET-VINTAGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140745QQihZ014Q QitemZ330200173607QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

kevinf
01-02-08, 03:07 PM
I purchased my '96 FWB with Kelly Navigator Gold 235-70-15 WW tires on it. I am in need of replacement real soon and plan on getting Kellys again. I believe they are owned by Goodyear.

N0DIH
01-02-08, 04:16 PM
I didn't think it would hold up, but it would be interested to do a simple thin stripe or as much as a 1" stripe like they used to do....

Anyone ever try tire paint for their white walls? My old-schooler dad said that's what he used to do in the 50's - paint em' up. Saw a few links and listings on eBay for rubberized paint - all mostly in the $50 range. Anyone do this in recent times and/or for less $$$?

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

http://www.rangerpaint.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIDE-WHITE-WALL-TIRE-PAINT-WHITEWALLS-T-BUCKET-VINTAGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140745QQihZ014Q QitemZ330200173607QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

tenmark
01-02-08, 04:21 PM
After some research, I think I'm going to go with Yokohama Avid Touring tires. They get good reviews, are available with white stripe, and are fairly reasonable - $400 mounted and balanced.

Especially so because they rank high in quite/comfortable ride and durability. Anyone have any experience with these?

...last time I bought a set of tires, just a few years ago, you could easily get an off-brand set mounted and balanced for $200!! Like everything, prices have gone up on tires too. Just noticed batteries are up in the $65-$85 range. Wasn't too long ago they were $45-50. Alignments are well over a hundred when the fell in the $65-$85 range just a few years ago too.

- totally off topic but a worthwhile observation.

N0DIH
01-02-08, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine is very partial to the Yoko's.

Tire's Plus by me has a one time alignment for like $80, a 3 year for $120 and a lifetime for $150. So you go back as much as you want in a lifetime.... Might be worth it for the people like me who rack up a ton of miles on their car....

Take a look at the KR21's @ Tirerack.com, they are 80K mile tires, and they USED to be available in WW, not sure if they still are. But killer prices.....