: Windows!

Timothy60
04-21-06, 01:26 PM
Do you have an inoperative power window on your 93-96 Fleetwood? I know how bad that is. My right passenger side window has been broken since last November when it went "off the track". But it's fixed now!

I took the door apart around Thanksgiving time and discovered that the 2 rollers on the regulator assembly were both cracked in half. I went down to two local GM dealers and they both told me that the plastic rollers are not available and that the window regulator is a "non-serviceable item" and would have to be replaced entirely to the tune of $316! WoW! It was so cold out that I put the Caddie's door back together and planned to delay the reapair until springtime. In the meantime, I went to an auto body shop in Syracuse and the technician knew exactly what I was talking about. . . plastic rollers. He sold them in a four-pack for $1.89.
Last Saturday it was warm enough so I tackled the job again. Drilled out the rivet on the window rail, removed the broken rollers, slid in 2 new ones, greased the track real well, re-assembled the door, and now it works perfectly again. I used a C-clamp to force the ball connectors into the new plastic rollers.
Word of caution: there are many sharp edges within the door. It is NOT a finger-friendly place. Disconnect the wire to the window switch! Tape the window glass to the frame with duct tape. If you have a broken window, it CAN be repaired without having to buy a new regulator. It will only cost you about $1.89, a few hours of careful work, and a handful of Band-Aids. Good luck.

scurling
04-22-06, 01:04 AM
Tim:

It's good to hear of another persistent parts seeker. I needed an interior window clip for my '86 (yes '86) Olds 98 about two years ago. The local Olds/Subaru dealer told me the part wasn't carried any longer....case closed. I went to a Chevy dealer who laughed and said the part is still used by GM on late model cars.

He had the window part for me in one day.

Timothy60
04-22-06, 11:27 AM
It's good that you got that window clip for your 86 Olds! I think it's the little items that dealers and parts departments shy away from. It's usually these little items that are important for people who own and run older vehicles. It may be that dealers would rather make $100 all at once than to make $100 one dollar at a time. That's too bad because there are now two GM dealers in my area whom I would never trade with again or consider purchasing a vehicle from. If they can't be bothered to sell a customer a small part, then they don't deserve to sell me anything else, either.

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 11:47 AM
The driver's window went kaput while my '95 was at the Buick/Pontiac dealer service center for some other work, so they fixed it. Initially said "we think it might be the regulator", but then got it apart and saw that just all the rollers were broken off. Got new rollers, put them in, and I was good to go...cheap parts, but boy did I ever pay labor costs:rolleyes:

Now my driver's side back door window is stuck up (I hit the button and heard the motor going, but the window wasn't) and I'm assuming the same problem. Also thinking the other 2 might be on the blitz soon, but we'll see.

How do you get a Fleetwood door panel off, by the way? That's one thing I've never tried, and wasn't sure about.

Timothy60
04-22-06, 02:17 PM
It's actually very easy to take the door panel off but you must be careful about it. There's a Phillips-head screw behind the door handle that must come out, then there are 2 of those star-shaped bolts under the grab handle that must be removed, too. Remove the fake wood-grained plastic accent panel and set it aside. Pry gently around the panel and pull it out. It is held on by a few of those plastic connectors that are meant to be used only once (but I found them to be durable enough to be used over again in my window repair.) Now here is where it may get tricky: I did NOT remove the door panel completely to fix the regulator rollers; I just lifted the door panel up enough to gain access to the mechanism and left the top part intact and attached. It's not comfortable, but this job is a pain anyway! I allowed the door panel to rest upon my back as I did the work. You'll notice a heavy black plastic sheet covering the inner door. Peel that up, too. It's sticky with some sort of adhesive. There you go! Admire the guillotine-like mechanism of the regulator!

As I stated in my previous post, this is NOT a finger-friendly environment. The edges are sharp. The clearances are tight. Also, if you attemp this, duct tape the window securely to the window frame because I shudder to think what would happen if the heavy window came sliding down on your hand. You couldn't get it out of the way in time. That's why you paid those high labor costs at the Buick/Cadillac garage! That's the kind of job they give to the new mechanics not the ones who have seniority.

Oh, I almost forgot! Since it's raining today, I decided to change the power steering fluid in the Fleetwood. I've read about people in this forum flushing the P/S system and various ways to evacuate the system completely, but with 154,000 some odd miles, I thought that those complete purge ideas were kind of complex. I didn't feel like removing high pressure hoses and besides, my power steering is working fine anyway. I just thought that some fresh fluid might be beneficial.

This is what I did: I went to Wal-Mart in East Syracuse and bought a plastic spray-pump bottle and a length of clear plastic aquarium hose. I removed the spray mechanism from the bottle and fitted the aquarium hose to the straw part of the pump. Perfect fit! Then I stuck the end of the aquarium hose into the P/S reservoir and pumped all the oil out of it and into a plastic milk jug! WoW, a lot came out because that tiny hose could go all the way to the bottom of the reservoir. OK, you may think that there is still some cruddy fluid in the hoses and steering gear, but that's fine with me. It's an improvement, anyway. I got MOST of it out and replaced it with fresh, clean fluid. Then I dumped the old fluid into my oil recycling container.

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 02:44 PM
Yeah...doesn't sound like something I even want to venture to try.

With the driver's window, it just kind of happened while the car was there for other repairs, and when they told me on the phone it was like "Oh...just add it to the bill". Wasn't cheap, but didn't hurt a single finger:)

Timothy60
04-22-06, 02:56 PM
Smart choice. I just can't stand to have a power window inoperative. It makes the car feel cheap and degraded. The new power steering fluid made the steering action feel feel smooth and silky, too. It's been a productive day!

caddycruiser
04-22-06, 04:38 PM
Smart choice. I just can't stand to have a power window inoperative. It makes the car feel cheap and degraded. The new power steering fluid made the steering action feel feel smooth and silky, too. It's been a productive day!

There's another thing I gotta do...fresh ps fluid!

I know about the windows. At least it's the driver's one that has the freshest parts and should continue to work the longest now, as having a non-functional rear one doesn't bug me as much.

Our '93 is weird. Sometimes the front 2 make some funny sounds, especially the driver's one which is also a little slow, and the rears have "off days"--sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Still, in 3 years of use, there's never been a problem with one falling down in the door or getting stuck. Any day now, though...