: Cigarette Lighter

beachboy900
04-21-06, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know how or even know if there is a way to have the cigarette lighter only on when the car is turned on? My problem is, I just recently installed an XM radio and it runs off the cigarette lighter, well even when the Catera is turned off the cigarette lighter is still providing power. A lot of the times, I forget to turn the XM receiver off. I just don't want it to run down the battery. Is there a way around this or is it something that I just have to deal with? :eek: Thanks!

andergar
04-21-06, 04:00 PM
I'll make it easy for you. Sell me your cigarette lighter. I'm missing one. I don't smoke, but want to keep the car original. If interested, email me.

Andergar

andergar@comcast.net

Kcryan
04-22-06, 04:20 PM
If you re-wire it with a relay inline it should work, wont be increidibly easy but shouldnt be too hard either.

guardian
04-22-06, 05:31 PM
I was surprised by what you wrote. Have to guess it's a current issue - the installer was looking for a reliable source of sufficient current to operate the XM, without blowing a fuse. Certainly the lighter circuit qualifies, but I agree strongly with you it provides a highly problematic power source for an XM. This to me almost qualifies as FUBAR.

Look, I'm guessing here, OK. I'm not a mind reader and I wasn't present when the XM installation went forward:

But my take is the XM installer didn't know the Catera and might have lacked a wiring diagram. He or she went for the sure thing, a source of current guaranteed to operate the XM and not blow a fuse.

What I would do in your situation is to find another auto electric shop, or another XM installer, who knows the car or who has the critical wiring diagram, or both. You need somebody smart enough to identify a SWITCHED circuit with sufficient capacity to handle the XM, without extinguishing a fuse.

My counsel:

Next time interrogate prospective intstallers before turning your car over to them. Be tough. :brutal:

Make them prove to you they have experience working on Catera. This advice goes double if you take the car into a Caddy dealer. Many of them do NOT, do NOT, have techs who are Catera trained.:tisk:

A significant numer of Cadillac dealers never even sold the Catera. But they will NOT tell you this and gently advise you to go elsewhere for your Catera service. They will accept the job, do it poorly sometimes, take your money, and smile all the way to the bank.:nyanya:

gixxer_751
04-26-06, 11:56 AM
the rear lighter turns off when the car is off, if this helps any.

beachboy900
04-26-06, 01:42 PM
Thanks bud. I never thought about the back cigarette lighter!

CateraSport2000
04-26-06, 03:20 PM
My rear cigarette lighter doesn't turn off when the car is shut off. I use it for my XM on my 2000.

The feature is a "luxury" and comes in handy if doing something like charging a cell phone but it does get annoying if you plug XM or Sirius in there and forget to turn the unit off.

Jeff

gixxer_751
04-26-06, 04:38 PM
wierd, it turns off on mine. my front stays on, but the rear shuts off the minute the car is off. i had my cellphone discharge cuz i thought it was the same as the front one