: Dual Exhuast

GenoTheLowrider
04-20-06, 08:53 PM
Trying to get a dual exhaust system on my 89 Bro, anybody ever had any expierience with one on theirs? Any particular kind of muffler used, and how it sounded?? Tryin to get something with good performance but not loud. I thought about going with the stock muffler, but that wont give a good perfromance enhancement, my local muffler shop wanted to do Borla's.........any comments?

Destroyer
04-20-06, 11:16 PM
I've got duals on my '91 FWB. 2 1/4" stainless with Magnaflow mufflers and no cat. Sounds like a musclecar and moves like one too. It is loud though.

Series75
04-21-06, 08:51 AM
We have a 2.5" dual exhaust on the 500 in our '82 Series 75. It has cats and Flowmasters and has a rumble to it. Not very loud, which would kind of ruin the cruising aspect of the car.

Dave

N0DIH
04-21-06, 01:01 PM
To do it best, get a pass side manifold from an Olds diesel in a Chevy truck. They had true duals, then you get the manifold without the entry port for the drivers side pipe. Then you can run parallel pipes down the pass side (cats will need some tough work, but dual cats can be done). You will need to weld in the O2 sensor into a pipe just after the manifold exit. The diesel manifold doesn't have the bung IIRC.

Source: Detroit Diesel picked up all the diesel stuff from GM, so look there for parts, GM won't have them.

I had on my Olds 350 the Hooker Super Comps and loved them.

You can hear them here: http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/hooker_exhaust.html and click on Tom Martin's exhaust link. That is my old ride. Very quiet in the car, noticeable outside. No droning on my ride.

davesdeville
04-23-06, 05:58 AM
I'd reccomend resonators and some 20" long case Magnaflows or other straight through design. Flowmasters are far from being the master of flow...

ShadowLvr400
04-23-06, 11:24 AM
Stock duals in my 96 Fleetwood, and my mufflers are a set of Ravins via Midas.

N0DIH
04-25-06, 12:41 AM
How do they sound? I am looking to replace mine soon, they are coming apart after this last winter. So I need new ones. I want relatively quiet, but more flow.

I'd reccomend resonators and some 20" long case Magnaflows or other straight through design. Flowmasters are far from being the master of flow...

davesdeville
04-25-06, 02:44 AM
It's so hard to accurately describe sounds using text. To me they sound as if there were no mufflers at all, just at a lower tone. Differant from the normal 'flowmaster' sound.

My_favorite_Brougham
11-24-06, 11:26 AM
Could the dual mufflers from a 93-96 Fleetwood tansfer over to an earlier model Bougham? I think those last few Fleetwoods were more powerful than their predecessor Broughams anyway.

N0DIH
11-24-06, 11:34 AM
Not sure on the tailpipes, but likely they should work with not much trouble. The intermediate pipes and mufflers should be no problem. But they won't hook up to anything stock, you will have to do custom connecting the intermediate pipes to the manifolds and cats.

Can definately be done, but will take some custom work on some parts of it.

Oh, you will need a dual exhaust crossover from a 94-96 Fleetwood/Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster to make it work. I don't know 100% if they will interchange, but again should be able to be made to work.

lochenjons
11-30-06, 12:16 AM
flowmasters. thats what i have on my cad... sounds great too. not loud enough to be annoying, but quiet enough to know where you're at... i never heard them from outside the car till i had a bud drive it for me and i was impressed. sounded like a muscle car

N0DIH
11-30-06, 12:32 AM
If quiet is needed, Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo #17749, they flow fantastic and are fairly quiet.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html for good info...

Benzilla
11-30-06, 02:08 PM
Last summer I saw a Dark Cedar Metallic '79 Coupe Deville with duals in Knoxville, and I've wanted a set ever since. It wasn't loud, I don't know what he was running for mufflers. How hard would it be to hook up duals to a 425? Can you really feel a difference? And could a local muffler place do it and not f*** up?

1990CaddyBrougham
11-30-06, 06:08 PM
When i had my 90 set up with dual tips, i just had the place split and splice. Not a tru dual. No performace upgrade... I just like the look. i need the look of dual exhaust.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/dual.jpg

davesdeville
12-02-06, 03:54 AM
Last summer I saw a Dark Cedar Metallic '79 Coupe Deville with duals in Knoxville, and I've wanted a set ever since. It wasn't loud, I don't know what he was running for mufflers. How hard would it be to hook up duals to a 425? Can you really feel a difference? And could a local muffler place do it and not f*** up?

You might need a crossmember from a car that came with duals IE Caprice, other than that not a big problem. You can really feel the difference, and you can really REALLY feel it if you ditch the cat at the same time (or even use modern high flow cats.) Any competent exhaust shop can do it fine, try to avoid the chains (midas, etc) if you want a decent price.

N0DIH
12-02-06, 01:35 PM
If you have a really good exhaust shop, you can very likely (at least on my Cutlass you could) route both pipes on the pass side with cat converters staggered and turned sideways. On the Cutlass (85) you can easily do dual 2.5" that way. There is plenty of room, just need a good person to do it. Take a look at the dual cat F Bodies, they are a good model for it.

Benzilla
12-03-06, 02:00 PM
Thanks, if there isn't a huge difference in noise level, I'd be glad to remove the cat. Seems like NightWolf was happy with draining his. That's where I might start, just drain the cat until I get around to duals. About how much would the whole job run me at an exhaust shop? I need to know where this would fit in on my things to do list :)

BTW, don't these Caddies run 2.5" from the factory anyway?

N0DIH
12-03-06, 02:37 PM
Most exhaust shops won't pull a cat unless they are replacing it, legal reasons. So be prepared for road blocks there. Some might, but the fines aren't worth it to the shops.

It will be somewhat louder. To a true Cadillac nut who won't settle for anything less, it would be too loud. To most others, you wouldn't notice it untill you walked by the pipes. That is, with stock muffler/resonator.

Destroyer
12-05-06, 06:41 AM
If you have a really good exhaust shop, you can very likely (at least on my Cutlass you could) route both pipes on the pass side with cat converters staggered and turned sideways. On the Cutlass (85) you can easily do dual 2.5" that way. There is plenty of room, just need a good person to do it. Take a look at the dual cat F Bodies, they are a good model for it.Thats how I have mine run on my 91 Brougham. I posted them about 2 years ago when I had it done, here they are again.