: 3.5L Shortstar Ignition

CTX-SLPR
04-20-06, 08:39 PM
Howdy,

I guess the really applies to all Northstars since ya'll all use the same integral crank reluctor wheel. Does anyone know how many teeth there are on the wheel and if there are any special refference missing teeth or the like? I'm trying to get my brain around the ignition system, specifically off of the 3.5L Shortstar V6, as an idea to adapt it onto another GM ECM to get rid of the wastespark system that causes weird effects in higher boost levels and rpms.

Thanks,

chevelle
04-21-06, 01:58 PM
Howdy,

I guess the really applies to all Northstars since ya'll all use the same integral crank reluctor wheel. Does anyone know how many teeth there are on the wheel and if there are any special refference missing teeth or the like? I'm trying to get my brain around the ignition system, specifically off of the 3.5L Shortstar V6, as an idea to adapt it onto another GM ECM to get rid of the wastespark system that causes weird effects in higher boost levels and rpms.

Thanks,

There are two reluctor wheel patterns on Northstars. One is used on the 1993-99 Northstars with the direct fire ignition system with waste spark. The pattern, number of teeth, sensors and sensor locations are completely different on the 2000 and later Northstars with the coil-at-plug system. Ths shortstar used a coil-at-plug system also, with another unique tooth count and pattern.

CTX-SLPR
04-21-06, 04:29 PM
Ah... that is helpful to know that it's different. Any idea what those tooth counts are and how it tells that the crank is at 0º rather than any other? Also what kind of cam sensor does the Shortstar use? The single refference pulse off of #1I that the rest of GM cars seem to use?

Thanks,