: LS 6 Engine Temp

Vetts NV
04-20-06, 06:13 PM
I have a 2005 LS6 V... I have noticed when sitting in traffic the coolant temp in the engine can reach 235 degrees on the digital read out display. This is a full 40 degrees higher than cruising temp of 195. Still the analog gauge never moves from then "normal" middle position. Can you explain if this is normal, and if so, why it does that?

nikon
04-20-06, 06:25 PM
it's normal....it's basically a "dont worry about me gauge" I wanna say in 98' they started making the temp gauge just kinda stay put, people were getting worried seeing there gauge go up and down. Thats all.

lars464
04-20-06, 07:59 PM
My 2004 does the same exact thing. Temp reads 230, the dash gauge never moves from the center reading.

Florian
04-20-06, 09:56 PM
I have a 2005 LS6 V... I have noticed when sitting in traffic the coolant temp in the engine can reach 235 degrees on the digital read out display. This is a full 40 degrees higher than cruising temp of 195. Still the analog gauge never moves from then "normal" middle position. Can you explain if this is normal, and if so, why it does that?

Um, you answered your own question..... "sitting in traffic" is a HOT place to be. When you drive, air actually c-o-o-l-s then engine...I know, its a neat concept....
Lets do an experiment...go to the local YMCA and go sit in the sauna for about 15 minutes and work up a good lather (how you do it I dont care, just get all sweaty), now heres the good part, get up and go outside of the sauna and walk around. Its cooler! Thats the concept Im getting at. Its the same thing with that big hot engine under your hood...:thepan:

F

nikon
04-20-06, 10:32 PM
Um, you answered your own question..... "sitting in traffic" is a HOT place to be. When you drive, air actually c-o-o-l-s then engine...I know, its a neat concept....
Lets do an experiment...go to the local YMCA and go sit in the sauna for about 15 minutes and work up a good lather (how you do it I dont care, just get all sweaty), now heres the good part, get up and go outside of the sauna and walk around. Its cooler! Thats the concept Im getting at. Its the same thing with that big hot engine under your hood...:thepan:

F

y'know what man, no disrespect because I know you've helped me out a couple time in my short time here. But would you at least read the question? He did'nt ask if it was normal for the engine to get warmer whilst sitting at a stop light. He said that as the digital temp readout rises the analog meter sits in the middle where it always sits when the engine is at operating temp. I already answered the question. Try not to jump on somebody so quickly.

Florian
04-20-06, 10:37 PM
Nikon,
you should know better than that....Im just bustin the rookies balls. I have no friggin clue why the analog and digital dont move in unison, but it was set up so nicely, that I couldnt pass it up.
No offense.

F

nikon
04-20-06, 10:40 PM
Nikon,
you should know better than that....Im just bustin the rookies balls. I have no friggin clue why the analog and digital dont move in unison, but it was set up so nicely, that I couldnt pass it up.
No offense.

F

I dont know better, I havent been here long enough :highfive: but now I know :bouncy: its all good mang ;)

Florian
04-20-06, 10:44 PM
:welcome: all good.

F

Zorb750
04-20-06, 10:58 PM
The analog gauge changed on the 1996 Seville/Eldorado instrument panel. The center on mine (4th mark) corresponds to 181-219 deg. F. At 230, it's one mark to the left of center (5) and it increases more steeply the hotter it gets. 248 is two marks over. 255 is the seventh mark. 262 is at the end (8th mark).

It's because people worry too much. Swings of 15 degrees are normal in driving, 30 deg is still normal moving in slow or jammed traffic, or at idle.

BMW does it too anyway.

nikon
04-20-06, 10:59 PM
The analog gauge changed on the 1996 Seville/Eldorado instrument panel. The center on mine (4th mark) corresponds to 181-219 deg. F. At 230, it's one mark to the left of center (5) and it increases more steeply the hotter it gets. 248 is two marks over. 255 is the seventh mark. 262 is at the end (8th mark).

It's because people worry too much. Swings of 15 degrees are normal in driving, 30 deg is still normal moving in slow or jammed traffic, or at idle.

BMW does it too anyway.

ugh. you dont even get it...ok see, oh nevermind.:bigroll:

CVP33
04-20-06, 11:02 PM

The temp is fine. These V's run hot. And actually 235 isn't that bad, although a custom tune and thermostat could move that down a bit. Stealth had mine down to 200 and it NEVER moved.

As for the discrepancy in analog vs. digital, you can add the SRT-8 to that list. The needle barely moves, where the digital shows from 210 to 240.

StealthV
04-20-06, 11:26 PM
The gauge with the needle always pointing straight up doesn't seem to be of much value. Good thing we've got the digital display for monitoring everything.

On a related note, the primary cooling fan turns on at 226 degrees F; the secondary fan kicks in at 235. At low speeds, A/C on and high ambient temps, I would think 235 is about the maximum one would ever see. Then again, the ice just melted off the water in the back yard here... :)

Wish we had a differential lube temperature reading for high speed runs or track days.

ctsvett
04-20-06, 11:42 PM
There is a reason they call them idiot lights... hee hee

Those guages (fuel included) are NOT accurate... we have learned this (see TSBs)... GM doesnt want the "idiots" to know the real temperature, they only want them to know if the car is overheating (hence no rational Degree scale either).

They probably did research years back and realized that customers got worried when the guage went up and thought everything was hunky dory when the guage was SMACK in the middle... the marketing types then thought, "lets just keep it in the middle ALL THE TIME unless there is a major problem, then the driver will not think anything is wrong with their car." I should know, I am in marketing (but not the auto industry, FYI)

Thats why they gave use the DIC in the V (no homo jokes), so we can see the real temp (except as noted on the oil temp on the 04 v).

I think the only thing I trust is the speedo/tach and thats only cause I have personally verified both! I still check my tire pressures once and a while by hand. I manually check my oil level... My only problem is that I cant stick my finger in the oil and tranny fluid while driving and if I could, my finger is not very accurate when it comes to temperature.

hahah

Reed

PneuBird
04-21-06, 01:00 AM
I put in a 160 degree thermostat 18 months ago and I run 176 to 178 temp all day long, even in traffic. I know the LS6 is meant to run hot but I just feel better with the temp at 180 or less!! :alchi:

Vetts NV
04-24-06, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the information. I never did worry about it, just wanted to make sure it really is normal. I do a fair bit of crawling in my Jeep and have 180 degree thermostat and cooling fan that keeps the Jeep at 180 +/- 5 degrees no matter what.

As for the sauna comment... I though that was pretty funny! No worries!

SBONES
04-25-06, 07:41 AM
All i know is when i start up in the morning, she's fast...later in the day, she's slow...i know its heat...220 is hot...190 is good...stealth, what do you think of this...im buying a new pcm...and sending it to you...but i still have the problem of getting it in...is anyone close to allentown pa..i want this tune so bad...i dont even want to drive it anymore...stealth...HELP!!!:worship:

is there anyway you can make me a hand held thing...that would plug in somewhere easier than getting under the car.:stirpot: