: Looking for 94-95 LT1s for E85 Beta Testing Calibration

N0DIH
04-20-06, 11:40 AM
I think I am ready to have a couple other people try out my tune on E85.

I am setup for 3.42's, P235 70 15's right now. I can change if needed, but I am not familliar with everyone's preffered shift points.

If you have current tune and want to send it to me, I can adapt the 2 and send you one back to try.

So far running on 87 octane seemed pretty good, and E85 good, so I think I am ready for some others to test if you would be willing.

I would require that you have a datalogger (TTS Datamaster preffered, but Freescan is fine too) and run several data runs in various types of driving.

I don't need you to run E85 unless you want to. I am really wanting people to test the capabilities of 87-93 octane with it. 87 is borderline, but seems overall pretty safe. My goal is a tune that works between the 2 within the GM stock BLM/Integrator values.

I would need to know specifics on your current car combo to hopefully get it dialed in well. I think I am pretty close on what I can do with it.

I am hoping to dyno my car soon to see how much power it really makes on 100% E85 with my tune.

BCs71, is there a dyno day coming up with the BaD Bodies clan?

N0DIH
04-21-06, 01:48 PM
no one? ok....

caddycruiser
04-21-06, 03:02 PM
Well, it is kind of an oddball, "limited audience" kind of a deal...

N0DIH
04-21-06, 03:20 PM
I am hoping to find people who will test it for either E85 or Gasoline. As the cal is sorta in between, which is my goal. I hope to make an available E85 calibration for the LT1 that will help save a lot of $$ for people at the pump this summer. At least if you keep things moderate, without any hardware changes to the engine.

It is tuned well, I think it runs much better than any I have experiemented with so far. It is loosely based on the SS Z28 tune with adjustments that fit the B/D cam and heavy car well. That tune is NOTHING like PCMFORLESS or any other tuner I have seen. Honestly, I like it better, a LOT better.

And much safer, after looking into what BH did on his tune, I am now much more afraid of his changes, as they remove much safety in the tuning process. I don't like that at all (especially the one I examined the user is complaining of audible pinging). Yes, you ~might~ make a couple extra hp, the risk to the engine outweighs that gain.

I would like someone to at least give it a try, heck, they get a good tune out of it for nothing, worse case, they don't like it and flash it back to what they had. Else, they keep it and enjoy. And I would be willing to tweak if they asked.

Timothy60
04-21-06, 05:55 PM
What happens if something goes wrong and the car doesn't start on a workday? Will Joe's Garage be able to diagnose and get it running again?

N0DIH
04-21-06, 06:01 PM
You reflash back to your existing program. Simple as that. But it won't cause a no start.

This is something only ones who have the PCM reflash tools (LT1-Edit, TunerCat, etc) and proper cable (AKM Cables or PCMPerformance, or ? or homemade) and you are comfortable with doing reflashing. I have reflashed my PCM around 70 times so far, sometimes 4 times in one day! It has taken me a lot time to get my PCM cal down to where it is.

scurling
04-21-06, 11:49 PM
Nodih:

I've been giving this a lot of thought and research lately, and with the recent price rise in gas, I think I'm ready to take the plunge. Before reading your thread tonight, I was planning on heading down to one of the only two stations in NoVa to get a partial tank of E85 tomorrow morning. And, possibly even buying a couple of five gal. cans to fill and bring home. The drive is about 26 miles into Arlington (and traffic), so I can't just run to the station to fill up any time of the day.

Mind you, I still have to acquire the programming equipment, and I'm willing to do that. I need to get acquainted with that area of automotive knowledge anyway. I've reflashed dozens of telecom products over the years, so the LT1 program is just another flash PROM in my opinion. Maybe I can find the electronics gear second hand since it's for a ‘94 and I might save a few bucks.

My '94 is a V4P and completely stock. I don't know if that would benefit your test confirmation or not, but we would sure know where we are starting from.

Another thing that is really fueling my drive is my friend just had his late model Camero LT1, rebuilt to 383 and turbo charged, and it is pure BADA... It was dyno tested at over 450 HP.

Send me a personal note for specifics, etc.

N0DIH
04-22-06, 12:02 AM
Sweet Z! Would love to do that to my LT1!

Mine is a stock V4P also. So my Cal as is should be perfect for you.

I work for a rather large cell phone and consumer electronics company, so i have flashed many many products over the years (beats soldering on PLCC PROMS, but PLCC's sure are easy!).

Follow the rules carefully (no screensavers, no extra processes, stable clean connection to the car), and you won't have any problems.

I get E85 on the weekends and bring home 4 5 gal cans. I need to get at least 2 more, 4 would be ideal to have to store enough to be practical to cover all week. I try to get the car to a station to fill up and then have the extra cans to get me the rest of the way through the week.

I am using a cable from PCMPerformance.com, much cheaper than AKM, and works fine. You just don't get a OBD1 connector, just a pin to plug in. I leave mine in all the time right now.

As is, 50/50 is no problem. Once you start getting past 70%, you can expect a check engine light from time to time. You just passed 160 on the Long Term Fuel Trim (aka, BLM, or Block Learn Multiplier). Won't hurt anything, but cold starting (COLD, like 5C or colder) can be a little "cranky". And the transistion between open loop and closed can be a little annoying. My tune boosts up timing, and is a total timing overhaul. It is really putting all the timing values in the main/ext timing tables instead of all over the place with offsets and bias and such. I feel it is a cleaner approach and has more timing more often, which helps with E85.

Some say replace the fuel filter after a tank or 2. I haven't yet, and no issues. Around 2000-2500 miles on E85 now.

Give me a scream when you get a program. TunerCat is a good one, only $69 US and is NOT PCM locked. LT1-Edit is locked to your PCM (well, your VIN, I guess if you give your VIN to everyone you are fine....:)

So cable and program, you are around $120 US shipped to your door.

Curious, what mpg do you get (or L/100KM?) with your V4P?

scurling
04-22-06, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I haven't test mileage in quite a while, about a year or more. I have gotten as much as 19.7 mpg on the hghway, and about 17 MPG in town without too much stop-and-go.

I guess I really should have a good mileage check before making such big changes with E85 for the sake of documentation.

Oh BTW, no need to send any fine print. I'm old enough to know what I'm getting into, and I live biking distance from my work at Verizon. :cycle:

N0DIH
04-22-06, 12:28 AM
Sounds like you are very close to where I am now with gas. I brushed 21 on a trip, but it stayed closer to 20 for the rest of it. I seem to hold a close 18ish city/highway. I can't seem to get it to come up. I guess 2200 rpm (75 mph) on the freeway is a bit high,, even at 65 it is 1900 rpm.

scurling
04-23-06, 02:09 PM
Nodih:

Making some headway. I decided to take some advise and replace my fuel pump, which is original, and anyother rubber and seals in the fuel area.

I am also going to replace the sending unit, again original, which has left me high and dry three times. ALso ordered four, six gal gas cans for moving additional the E85 to my house until my trip to fill up isn't so far.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

N0DIH
04-24-06, 12:30 AM
Please let me know if there is anything rubber. From what all the pictures I have seen, there isn't anything, unless it is inside the pump itself. The lines are all plastic. So I think the only rubber is the FPR and the injector o-rings.

I need a new sending unit too, mine is getting worse, up to 4 bars and you are running on vapors. Gotta be very careful. I hope to get a new one in this summer.

I run 4 cans back and forth on the weekends.

Price is holding at $2.259. We have 4 stations in the area now.

$2.259
$2.339 (if you use cash, $2.389 for credit or debit)
$2.659 (across the street from the $2.33 station)
$2.799

Wide range in prices.

ShadowLvr400
04-24-06, 11:51 PM
No E85's near me.

N0DIH
04-25-06, 12:33 AM
The $2.259 station jumped from that to $2.449 today. Bummer.

BCs71
04-26-06, 01:24 PM
I think I am ready to have a couple other people try out my tune on E85.

BCs71, is there a dyno day coming up with the BaD Bodies clan?

Sorry about that, not been able to get on the internet for about a week....

Yes, there is a dyno day on May 6th if you can make it. I plan to dyno my Fleetwood.
May 6, 2006 (Saturday) -- Club DYNO DAY!
10:00am - ???
SUPER CAR TUNING CENTER
55 Gaylord Street
Elk Grove Village, Il 60007
Several other clubs invited for 'competition' and to get a good rate. $50-60 for three dyno pulls, depending on how many cars show up!

Hope the E85 thing works out for you. At this point I am not prepared to become a guinea pig. I drive the FW sparingly anyway so gas mileage isn't too much of a concern with this car. Keep us posted on the results!

N0DIH
04-26-06, 02:53 PM
I need to get some larger injectors before then, I don't wanna run it that hard when I am seeing >85% duty cycles (not pinging though).

BCs71
04-27-06, 09:16 AM
I need to get some larger injectors before then, I don't wanna run it that hard when I am seeing >85% duty cycles (not pinging though).
Yeah, I hear you on that one. If you get the necessary parts and plan on coming down, let me know so I can look out for ya!
I'm sure you'd be the only other guy in a Fleetwood, anyway!

N0DIH
04-27-06, 09:45 AM
I'll let you know, I am waiting on my tax return $$ to come in, so hopefully I can get a set. I have found some people with some Lucas injectors for sale, but I haven't heard good on them. I think I am leaning towards some Accel ones at this point.

I'll check five0 too, see if I can find some OEM ones for a good price too. Their prices are up enough that new ones are often worth the investment.