: Grinding.

walk3rb0h
04-20-06, 10:21 AM
Ok something kinda scary happened to my ride.. Last night im driving home and all the sudden my cars ass end starts making this horrible grinding sound.. Its not constant and is strongest between 20-30 mph.. It doesnt happen below 5mpr and seems to clear up at higher speeds. It doesnt pull when brakes are applied either. If I puh the car from sidfe to side there is a nice raddling sound coming from the back too.. I checked my exhaust and its not loose so something else has worked itself loose.. Any thoughts? :confused:

walk3rb0h
04-20-06, 01:47 PM
Well I have a mechanic telling my the TCC (which I knew was bad) has caused metal shavings in the tranny and now something is thrown.. or some wordings, getting the info second hand from wife.. Can anyone confirm that the TCC issues. Would destroy the whole tranny.. 1500 for a rebuild is something id like to avoid if I could.

brougham
04-20-06, 05:26 PM
If it's coming from the back it's probably not because of the transmission. It could be a few things that are making that noise. Take it to another garage to get it looked at. It shouldn't be that hard for them to find out what's wrong.

N0DIH
04-21-06, 04:28 PM
I've had rear brakes come apart and make some grinding, but I have never heard a trans do it.

Keep us posted on what it ends up being.

80Coupe
04-21-06, 06:46 PM
I just had the right rear wheel bearings replaced and they were making a grinding noice like you stated as well. Worth another look.

walk3rb0h
04-21-06, 06:49 PM
Would I notice any pulling if it was bearings?

DopeStar 156
04-22-06, 12:02 AM
Would I notice any pulling if it was bearings?
I would say yes...

scurling
04-22-06, 12:15 AM
I've had bearings go bad and make noise, but never suddenly, always in a gradual development with a developing flat spot give a thump-thump noise increasing with speed. The side-to-side action noise would tend to point to a rear end/axle component possibly.

walk3rb0h
04-22-06, 07:52 PM
well 3 bills later and ive had the entire rear braking system replaced and the grind is gone.. Mechanic said my left rear shoe had disintigrated and in turn destroyed the drum and everything else.. Funny I never had a problem stopping or any pulling..

scurling
04-23-06, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear it was found and fixed. Your right, that's strange you didn't feel it when braking.