: Northstar reliability...

Night Wolf
04-19-06, 11:57 PM
So at work today a guy came in for a new blinker relay for a '99 DeVille.... So I go out to the car to look for the relay (never found it.... not under the dash where GM had them for decades) but upon walking into the parking lot... I noticed alot of stickers on the DeVille... and a thing on the roof....

It was a taxi! I was surprised, as I really never seen a DeVille taxi. It was white with black leather, in really nice shape... so I open the door and look for the relay...

they key was in the on position, as he was showing me the problem with the blinker....

I coudln't help but notice the 247,xxx miles on the car! I confirmed that was in fact true milage, I asked if it was the origanal engine and tranny and he said yes... its his own personal car that he uses as a taxi.

247k and it was still running great.... I was really happy to see that.... but these things will definitly last that long if given the chance, I just still find that really interesting.

Blinker didn't get fixed, I didn't know if it used the electronic or mechanical type blinker (computer listed both) and I didn't know where the damn thing even went. I did tell the guy aobut the site though and to give it a shot...

still, 247k, '99 DeVille, origanal engine and trans... and still runs great.... makes me wonder just how many are running around with 250k+ that are troublefree....

Dadillac
04-20-06, 09:15 AM
Great thread. Before I bought my car back in Nov 2004, all that I ever heard about the N*, was stories like you posted. I never heard of headgasket failures and the like. That right there was good enough for me. Now if the N* was truly a piece of crap, as some on this board will have you believe, I am sure that I would have heard about it, before Nov 2004. Just like any engine, there will always be some bad ones. There will also be some great ones, that get severely neglected, that turn into bad ones. Then there will be ones that you cannot kill, no matter what you do to them. The N* is a great engine. it has been around for at least 15 years. I love mine, and have plans of owning more in the future.

Don

Night Wolf
04-20-06, 10:39 AM
It's all about the maintenace.

Just remember, people don't come here just to say how great their engine is... they come here when there is a problem.

thu
04-20-06, 10:52 AM
My Factory Service Manual says that there is a "Commercial" version of the Deville.

Night Wolf
04-20-06, 02:23 PM
Well, commercial chassis.... thats what they made herse and limos from.

This is a regular '99 base DeVille, it was his personal vehicle, that was a taxi, all the graphics and the taxi sign on top etc...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-20-06, 02:26 PM
Thats cool :)

Rick, what other kind of cool cars have you seen there?

Night Wolf
04-20-06, 08:34 PM
'74 Mark IV
'68 Firebird with an insane 455
~'72ish Datsun Roadster thingy

Lots of other cars I find neat but are really nothing special.

auroradude
04-20-06, 10:19 PM
well thats cool but i wouldnt have probably noticed...

ive been for rides in:

2001 lamborghini diablo VT
2000 ferrari 360 modena F1
a viper here and there
1995 ferrari 355 F1 (that thing is a lemon)
aston martin DB9 volante

heh

SL1CK
04-20-06, 11:00 PM
I just hit 175,000 miles today.

thu
04-20-06, 11:17 PM
Well, commercial chassis.... thats what they made herse and limos from.

This is a regular '99 base DeVille, it was his personal vehicle, that was a taxi, all the graphics and the taxi sign on top etc...

Ooops...I means to say "Commercial Series". Different than "Commercial Chassis". My FSM has exceptions all over it for the CZ (Commercial Series) Devilles.

Anyways, doesn't matter.

thu
04-20-06, 11:18 PM
I just hit 175,000 miles today.

Your STS is just a baby. My Deville has 298,000 miles on it.

SHERIFF
04-20-06, 11:22 PM
Hasn't everybody here agreed 1,000 times that the long troublefree life of a Northstar depends on regular coolant changes (w/tablets)? :highfive:

Zorb750
04-21-06, 03:18 AM
The regular flasher is for the hazard lights. The electronic flasher is for the turn signals. They ARE under the dashboard, and somewhat hard to get to. The hazard flasher is easier. The signal flasher clips to the inside of the panel. I zip tied mine instead to a bundle of cables, quieting it significantly.

94CaddyConcours
04-21-06, 09:48 PM
WOW 247K, Mine is barely hitting the 122K mark. Who say a 12 years is still a baby. Cant wait till my car hit that many mile.!!!!!!!!!

JEREMY88898
04-23-06, 12:15 AM
I Hit A 188,000 On A Deville 2001. Runs Gooooooooodddd

All Original.

I Do Need A Crankshaft Sensor But Other Than That, Sweeeeet

Thanks

codewize
04-23-06, 06:24 AM
I live in upstate NY and I know in the city, New York City that is, there are thousands and thousands of DeVille taxis. It's really all they use around the airports and stuff. They're big, comfortable and reliable.

I think after 2000 most of the leaking problems had been resolved and at that point there were only a few faults. The lower valve body in the Trans sometimes goes bad and the TCC solenoid goes bad.

Other than that, the recent N* and trans have proven to be very very reliable and almost maintenance free, which is what the N* campaign was originally about. Low / No maintenance with reliability.

codewize
04-23-06, 06:26 AM
It's the same thing. It's just wording.

Ooops...I means to say "Commercial Series". Different than "Commercial Chassis". My FSM has exceptions all over it for the CZ (Commercial Series) Devilles.

Anyways, doesn't matter.

codewize
04-23-06, 06:28 AM
Is that the secret? I saw that in the book. What is considered regular and what do the tablets do?. I think the manual recomend every 100k

Hasn't everybody here agreed 1,000 times that the long troublefree life of a Northstar depends on regular coolant changes (w/tablets)? :highfive:

EdK
05-05-06, 09:59 AM
I am glad everyone is so happy with their Northstar engine. I just found out that my 2000 DeVille, 8 weeks out of the six year/100K warranty, with only 86,000 miles, has a blown headgasket and a transmission failure. All maintenance had been done by the dealer.

The unanimous advice from Cadillac customer service, the dealer we took the car to when it failed, and an independent mechanic, was that the car was not worth fixing.

No one can tell me that the dealer who serviced the car its entire life didn't know it was on its way out. It had an unexplained antifreeze loss for months, and chronic rough idle long prior to expiration of the warranty. They just waited it out.

Dealer integrity issues aside. Cadillac's solution is to give us a credit for $4,000 to buy a new car from them.

Call me bitter, but should my replacement car have a Northstar? Fool me once, shame on you...

Ranger
05-05-06, 10:30 AM
If you have documents and can prove that the car was in for a problem while it was still under warranty, it should still be covered. I'd press the issue. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

parts68
05-05-06, 06:59 PM
See my post on how many miles on your N*
Also heard of some Auroras with over 300K