: 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood

Timothy60
04-19-06, 09:47 PM
Here are 2 pictures of my 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. It has 154,056 miles on it. I drive it 70 miles to and from work each day. It averages 24 MPG. I just installed a new radiator which cost me $136 and now it's as good as new.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/Tim60/100_5859.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/Tim60/100_5848.jpg

caddycruiser
04-19-06, 09:51 PM
VERY nice and the underhood is a LOT better than our '93 with less miles!

I still have a "thing" for the '93s after having one for almost 3 years, and driving it as my sole vehicle for a year in there...hope I enjoy the '95 just as much, if not more. Now the '93 is being used by my brother as his school/work car, and my father is likely going to sell it to him soon, so at least I know it will stay in the best possible shape for quite some time with him.

What happened that you knew the radiator needed replaced?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-19-06, 09:54 PM
Thats nice :)

Timothy60
04-19-06, 10:52 PM
Hey Caddycruiser, thanks for the picture posting instructions. Obviously, it worked. It's cool that your 93 will stay in the family and I'm sure your 95 will give you years of good service with the proper basic care. It appears as if you have done some excellent quality detailing. Good job. About that radiator in my 93: the fins were getting a bit corroded so I was keeping an eye on it. Finally, it sprung a pinhole leak in which steam would emerge like a tiny tea kettle. At no time did it overheat or have a catastrophic failure. I checked on the internet for a new radiator and the prices had such a wild variance! Also, the 93 radiator has a by-pass outlet on the bottom and when I asked internet companies about this via e-mail, they either didn't respond or didn't know. It's a pain to have to ship a radiator back so I wanted to make sure I had the right one! I called a local radiator shop and the guy said yes, they had one out back. By-pass outlet? Yup. So I went down to pick it up. He charged me $136 + tax which was WAY lower than even the cheapest internet "bargain". I put it in myself, the only difficulty being with the lower tranny line which was imossible to remove even after soaking it with TC-11. I ended up cutting it and using a compression fitting to the new radiator. As you know, there's plenty of room to do most jobs in the Cadillac's engine bay, so it went pretty easy. Nice radiator, too. Made in USA. How's the radiator in your brother's 93? Your 95? BTW, mine was the original item.

caddycruiser
04-19-06, 10:58 PM
Sounds good. When we bought the '93 (July '03), the original owner had just put in a new radiator and water pump a few weeks beforehand, so the rad in that car is still pretty fresh. The one in my '95 is the original, so we'll see how much more life it has left (it looks fine, but you never know).

And thanks for the comment on the detailing--as far as the "cleaning" goes, I actually started a part-time business back in '02 doing it (DK Auto Spa :thumbsup: ), so none of our vehicles ever get anything but the best treatment inside & out...and while I'm away, my brother and mother try their best to keep the cars up.

Timothy60
04-19-06, 11:16 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/Tim60/100_4396.jpg
Yes, your radiator on the 95 should last a good while longer. Those radiators are pretty rugged and HUGE. I'm still on the original water pump.

I'm with you on the detailing. Actually, I enjoy keeping my Fleetwood spotless inside and out. I'm particularly interested in keeping the dashboard crack-free so I treat it quite often with a UV barrier. That new gel Armor-All is a new formula and it works great. I use a Maguir's Leather Care product on the seats and so far there have been none of the typical Fleetwood cracks or rips. Looks like you have that under control with your recent repair. Looks good.

caddycruiser
04-19-06, 11:27 PM
Yep, and I need to get some more recent pics up of the '93 sometime.

It was kinda dirty while I was home over Easter, but still not bad. Actually, when we were first looking for one, this was the only one that didn't have a single dash crack or seat tear...and thanks to proper conditioning of each and a sunshade that is ALWAYS in the windshield, none of that has changed.

How long ago did you buy your '93?

Timothy60
04-19-06, 11:38 PM
WoW! It's difficult to get an entire Fleetwood in a photo frame!

About the detailing: Do you have a wax product that you recommend from your detailing experience? I have had good luck with Maguire's "Gold Standard". Have you tried the new gel Armor-All? I've heard positive things about it. What do you think?

caddycruiser
04-19-06, 11:46 PM
Well, I actually have a whole arsenal of higher end stuff that I order...and nothing in particular that really jumps out.

Right now, I have Klasse All-In-One topped with Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection sealant on my '93, Klasse AIO topped with Klasse Sealant Glaze on the Suburban, and then my brother has Klasse AIO topped with P21S Carnauba wax on the '93 FWB and the '92 Roadmaster.

Not everyone is familiar with those products, but I can say this--stick to synthetic/polymer polishes and sealants. They last a LOT longer than "real" waxes, are more durable, and also tend to have a stronger shine...the Meguiars Gold Class stuff you mentioned is a blend of real wax & synthetics and is actually decent stuff, I think. I really stay away from any Armor-All product, but did know of a few people who liked the newer gel wax stuff from them.

I'm not sure what else you can find at a local store (I don't buy a lot of stuff in the store), but anything synthetic/polymer is generally a good bet.

And this is a TERRIFIC site all about everything you ever wanted to know about detailing:

http://www.autopia.org

DPGC23
04-20-06, 01:13 AM
Man Your Caddy Looks Nice Man, Props On The Pics.

My 94 Finally Got Cracks On The Dashboard!!!

Poor Car, But The Horrible Thing Is I Bought Some Armor All Like Months Ago An Di Never Used It, I Know I Know

Dpgc23

caddycruiser
04-20-06, 09:22 AM
Man Your Caddy Looks Nice Man, Props On The Pics.

My 94 Finally Got Cracks On The Dashboard!!!

Poor Car, But The Horrible Thing Is I Bought Some Armor All Like Months Ago An Di Never Used It, I Know I Know

Dpgc23

Armor All isn't that great anyway...and if the dash just cracked, it probably wouldn't have helped much. Did you ever use a sunshade?

Timothy60
04-20-06, 11:30 AM
Armor All isn't that great anyway...and if the dash just cracked, it probably wouldn't have helped much. Did you ever use a sunshade?

Too bad about the crack. They seem to occur most frequently on this model as radiating from the defroster grille. The sunshade is a good idea but sometimes a pain to use at times. Why do people slam Armor-All products? I could never figure that out. Nobody ever gives any logical, empirical reasons. I have used it since it came out in the late '70s and have always found it to be effective (if used properly and in moderate quantities) and fairly cheap compared to other protectants. Yes, it can make a surface shiny, but that's usually if too much is used and its not rubbed in.

Another detailing point worth mentioning is using a lubricant such as WD-40 or TC-11 on switch gear, stalk pivots, the throttle cable where it enters the firewall, and emergency brake cable/mechanism under the dash. You'd be surprised to find how much smoother everything works! I'm not talking about huge dripping amounts of lubricant, just a few drops applied with precision. (I use a hypodermic needle.) Also, another good component that benefits from lubrication is the ride level arm and pivot just above the differential. These are often dry and/or corroded because of the obscure location. Check yours out. I'll bet it's dry.

What does a clay bar do for a vehicle's finish? Is it worth looking into even if the finish is already good or is it more for heavily oxidized and neglected surfaces?

caddycruiser
04-20-06, 11:49 AM
Using a clay bar has nothing to do with oxidized or faded surfaces...nearly every car in the world is subjected to things like industrial fallout, rail dust, etc., and as that stuff hits a car, it tends to build up "grit" that is often felt. Using a clay bar every so often helps to remove this junk and keep the paint as smooth as possible.

As far as Armor All, it really is quite good as far as shining, but just isn't that great as far as protection or durability. There is actually thought that Armor All has been traced to actually ruining some plastics and rubbers, helping to fade and even promoting cracks, but it seems to be pretty subjective. Some people have experienced it and some haven't. In other words, it's okay for some things like shining up an interior, but just not the best thing out there--but, of course, it's price isn't outrageous either, so that's to be expected.