: Will reflashing PCM reset OLM?

N0DIH
04-19-06, 06:52 PM
If I reflash my PCM, will it reset my OLM so I have to calc the miles for oil changes?

FASSTWOOD
04-20-06, 09:43 AM
No...

N0DIH
05-20-06, 11:10 AM
I did learn something. Answer is No and Yes....

If you reflash with light ON, it will reset....

limo
05-20-06, 11:36 AM
With "CHANGE OIL" light ON, the light will go out for a while, but it comes again soon - I drove maybe 120 - 150 miles on my ī94 Fleetwood.

N0DIH
05-20-06, 12:06 PM
I have probably put in 1000 - 1500 miles, and it hasn't returned. I haven't had time to change the oil. But, today I pickedup some hard to find Rotella T 30w and will get it changed (Better Autozone's have it). I have been wanting to experiment with a 30W oil over my current 15W40 to see if going from a 40 to a 30 will help economy at all.

I try hard to discourage anyone from running anything but CI-4 spec'd oil anymore, SM is NOT good oil for older cars, and should be FORBIDDEN for anyone with a flat tappet cam. I don't care if it is the best synthetic on the planet, if it meets SM spec, if is bad for flat tappet engines. Use the spec oil for your car as it was designed, up to SL. Nothing later, or use CI-4 spec'd oil. Notice that no synthetic can meet CI-4 spec? Hmmm.... Makes on wonder why... It can't MEET the spec without the ZDDP.

limo
05-20-06, 02:31 PM
Hm. Maybe you oil was better than mine... As I bought my first Fleetwood with this Oil Life Indicator, I was not familiarised with the feature, and after the light came on, I simply reseted it - I had no oil & time to change it, but the light came on soon, and after I reseted it the second time , it came after a few miles. So I stopped the experiments and changed the oil instead.

I have try to play again this game by the next oil change, but with the same results - seems I canīt cheat my Oil Life Indicator, I think he indicates the true condition of the oil.

To date, I ever changed the oil according the carīs request, but this year I decided to return to the 3.000 miles-between-the oil-change routine... I mean, my cars are worth it. (Because the ī94 Fleetwood is able to run 6.500 miles with one oil)

limo
05-20-06, 02:35 PM
I forgot: I use TropArtic motor oil, 5W/30, SL.

N0DIH
05-20-06, 04:44 PM
Stay with SL, don't go to SM oils. Especially in older rides with flat tappet cams.

OLM isn't an oil sensor, it just assertains the conditions you drive and makes a darn close estimate on when you should change your oil.

If you stay started up and drove it 2 miles 10x a day, it would likely tell you to change in 2500-3000 miles. If you drove like me, startup and drive 60 miles 2x a day, it goes to around 7000 miles.

I forgot: I use TropArtic motor oil, 5W/30, SL.