: Jack and Tire Tool For CTS V

David W. Bailey
04-19-06, 06:44 AM
Now that I am running GS D3's, I had to track down a spare tire and wheel. I found a wheel dirt cheap at the Tire Rack and the local Goodyear guy came up with a used tire. So far so good, except now I need to find a jack and a tire tool.

Anyone have any suggestions on this that does not involve buying one from the Cadillac dealer?

Also, can you pry out that cheap plastic "tub" that is down in the spare tire well and can you wedge a full sized tire down there then?

I'm sure that this has been asked before and I apologize in advance for bringing back a dull topic.:bigroll:

BTW: If you are on the fence regarding tires, GS D3's have been great so far. Someone said that they are especially good in the rain and that is very true!

ajedwardsjr
04-19-06, 07:27 AM
Dude,

Rather than apologizing for "bringing back a dull topic," why not just refrain from doing so?

Just use the search feature - you'll find dozens of thread that have discussed this again and again.

Or, check the faq section - there's a lot of stuff there, too:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/spare/index.html

nikon
04-19-06, 10:33 AM
Dude,

Rather than apologizing for "bringing back a dull topic," why not just refrain from doing so?

Just use the search feature - you'll find dozens of thread that have discussed this again and again.

Or, check the faq section - there's a lot of stuff there, too:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/spare/index.html

he said other than the dealer....

sorry but the dealer jack appears to be the best alternative.

kgoch
04-19-06, 10:37 AM
Why not save the weight and use a plug kit and small air compresser?

nikon
04-19-06, 11:21 AM
Why not save the weight and use a plug kit and small air compresser?

thats what I got....alot cheaper too.

ctsvett
04-19-06, 11:51 AM
you can always just get a bottle jack or something...

Reed

David W. Bailey
04-19-06, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I was looking for "other than the dealer" solutions and I appreciate the suggestions, especially the patch kit or the bottle jack. One of those will work fine.

ctsvett
04-19-06, 03:21 PM
I have a can of fix a flat in my trunk for "extreme" emergencies only... few things to keep in mind. The Fix-a-flat will destroy the Tire Pressure sensor. So, for that reason, I have a spare Tire Pressure sensor...

Bottom line: I got rid of the runflats and I dont yet carry a spare...My thought is:

Option 1: Call tow truck and have them take me to the nearest tire place (gotta love free towing!).

Option 2 (the desert, stranded etc): Put in fix a flat, drive to tire store and use new pressure sensor...

Reed

David W. Bailey
04-19-06, 04:08 PM
I hear you on the run flats, best move that I have ever made with the V was getting rid of those. The "fix a flat" is a great idea, is it a major expense to replace a tire pressure sensor? I live in an area where there is lots of construction and roofing nails seem to be everywhere. Flats are common lately.

rand49er
04-19-06, 04:14 PM
Check out a post by dreamin last July or August. In there, he gives you an exploded view of the jack, handle, tub, etc. plus all the part numbers. I use one of my Avon A/S's from winter and you can get everything you need from GMPartsDirect for about $88 as I recall. Fits like a glove, too. Why mess around ruining one of your pressure sensors? :thehand:

Dreamin
04-19-06, 05:56 PM
:yeah:

the fix-a-flat stuff will only fix a percentage of punctures... i.e. if the hole is too big or you get a slice, the goop'll just flow out of the hole onto the street.

Get *just* the factory jack from GMPD for $38. Pack a wrench to use as the jack handle. That's it.

A quality bottle jack wont be much cheaper than that...

CIWS
04-19-06, 07:31 PM
Check out a post by dreamin last July or August. In there, he gives you an exploded view of the jack, handle, tub, etc. plus all the part numbers. I use one of my Avon A/S's from winter and you can get everything you need from GMPartsDirect for about $88 as I recall. Fits like a glove, too.

:yeah:

Get the part numbers from the FAQ page and order the parts from GMpartsdirect.com vs the stealership(s).

David W. Bailey
04-19-06, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the practical ideas, this is a great forum!

Rey
04-20-06, 11:13 AM
My experience is that only large city tire dealers routinely stock our tire sizes. If you need a tire in Broke-down, MT., you will have to wait a day at least.
I carry a flat repair kit and a small air compressor, which combination will handle most problems. I also carry an unmounted old tire, just in case my tire cannot be repaired.

CIWS
04-20-06, 11:39 AM
My experience is that only large city tire dealers routinely stock our tire sizes. If you need a tire in Broke-down, MT., you will have to wait a day at least.
I carry a flat repair kit and a small air compressor, which combination will handle most problems. I also carry an unmounted old tire, just in case my tire cannot be repaired.

Yeah no doubt. Of the few local inquires I made when searching for tires (4 different brands / types) no one stocked the standard sized tire (245/45/18)and they would have had to be ordered in. The RSA runflats I ended up with from G.Y. also had to be ordered in for my size.

V-SATX
04-20-06, 12:31 PM
I am glad this issue was brought up again. The smart members here seem to come up with fresh ideas about converting to non-runflats and the spare issue.

Here is my question:

Next week I will be mounting my new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s and new Asanti 3 piece rims. My first thought was to use one of my stock run flats as a spare and configure it according to the spare tire mounting directions and part #'s on Reeds site. Would this potentially be dangerous or possibly damage the vehicle; running a GY F1 with three different rims and tires?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

rand49er
04-20-06, 10:41 PM
Would this potentially be dangerous or possibly damage the vehicle ...I don't know about the vehicle, but I put one of my stock wheels face down in the depression in the trunk with the jack and all, and it marred a couple of the spokes. :rant2: I then have since put a piece of cardboard (it has to be thin to allow things to fit okay so a piece of carpeting might be too thick) in the bottom to provide some small level of protection for the wheel/spare combo. Now, I have one of my Mille Miglias with an Avon A/S in there. Crap, I hope it's going to be okay!

Just beware! :mad:

Flyboy
04-21-06, 09:00 AM
Just my $0.02 worth....I carry an air compressor that plugs in the lighter outlet, and the complete "tire plug kit".....my runflats are gone. Nice thing about the compressor is that it is light in weight and when at "the Strip"....you can re-inflate your tires before driving home....(if the diff isn't broken!!!!)

V-SATX
04-21-06, 09:13 AM
Just my $0.02 worth....I carry an air compressor that plugs in the lighter outlet, and the complete "tire plug kit".....my runflats are gone. Nice thing about the compressor is that it is light in weight and when at "the Strip"....you can re-inflate your tires before driving home....(if the diff isn't broken!!!!)

What type of plug kit? What if you could not find the leak without water? I considered purchasing a dual jump charge/air compressor, 70.00 at COSTCO.

CIWS
04-21-06, 09:21 AM
Next week I will be mounting my new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2ís and new Asanti 3 piece rims. My first thought was to use one of my stock run flats as a spare and configure it according to the spare tire mounting directions and part #'s on Reeds site. Would this potentially be dangerous or possibly damage the vehicle; running a GY F1 with three different rims and tires?

(Disclaimer- This is opinion, not science fact)

The manufacturers warn against running non run-flats and run-flats together on the car. I suspect this is referenced to a situation where they are run that way all of the time. In the case of a situation where a "spare" is being used on a temporary basis until the actual tire is either repaired or replaced, I don't think this is a big deal. After all look at those little donut tires. Definately not what you would want to run on the car for any extended period. It's to get you down the road so the main tire can be fixed/replaced.

I'm running 4 RSA RFs on the car and have a spare in the back that's a Conti non RF tire on Milli wheel. I will use that tire if I get into a situation where the RF or wheel get damaged and it's not useable on the car. That will get me to a point of repair. :)

Dreamin
04-22-06, 05:29 PM
The PS2 tire diameter will need to be close to the stock tire diameter or you could tear up your diff.

rand49er
04-22-06, 09:15 PM
The PS2 tire diameter will need to be close to the stock tire diameter or you could tear up your diff.Makes sense. Unless of course you're driving in one BIG circle. :)

CIWS
04-22-06, 09:25 PM
The PS2 tire diameter will need to be close to the stock tire diameter or you could tear up your diff.

Thanks Dreamin, I thought about mentioning tire diameter staying close, but forgot while writing the post. :thumbsup:

V-SATX
04-22-06, 10:25 PM

Can you explain? Why would running a different diameter tear up the diff? Thanks

KILR CAD
04-22-06, 10:27 PM
I use AAA but if you really need something, the '03-'06 Chevy SSR has a Kit behind the drivers seat with an Air Pump and Goo I always carried a Plug Kit also.

rand49er
04-23-06, 12:57 PM
Can you explain? Why would running a different diameter tear up the diff? ThanksI believe 'cause the diff is trying to delivery the same RPM to both rear tires, but the tires, having different circumferences, will NOT want to go the same RPM. (The one with the smaller circumference has to go at a higher RPM than the tire with the larger circumference at a given vehicle speed in a straight line ... kinda like long distance runners, one with long legs and one with itty bitty short legs. The guy with the short legs has to take more strides.) This difference in RPM is felt by the diff and means the diff has to "work" too much ultimately causing it harm.

(Made sense to me, but so did my ex-wife for a while. :alchi: )

mostoyzwinz
04-23-06, 10:37 PM
Anybody actually drive a run-flat while flat? I had to opportunity (left rear went flat) and wasn't pleased. while the onboard system flashed at me, the car was all over the place. straight line was ok, but corners were like being in snow. i know, it's just intented to get me to the repair station but jeez. :jawdrop: :shocked2:

SoFlaV
04-24-06, 09:32 PM
My runcraps were bald when I first bought my '04. The left front tire went out about 2 weeks after I bought her; the stability control system engaged, the tire pressure warning engaged, and handling was very sluggish. It gave me all the more incentive to put my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on and ditch the runcraps....15K on em and counting, with plenty of meat left.

V-SATX
04-25-06, 10:18 AM
I believe 'cause the diff is trying to delivery the same RPM to both rear tires, but the tires, having different circumferences, will NOT want to go the same RPM. (The one with the smaller circumference has to go at a higher RPM than the tire with the larger circumference at a given vehicle speed in a straight line ... kinda like long distance runners, one with long legs and one with itty bitty short legs. The guy with the short legs has to take more strides.) This difference in RPM is felt by the diff and means the diff has to "work" too much ultimately causing it harm.

(Made sense to me, but so did my ex-wife for a while. :alchi: )

This is a good college level physics question. Donut tires seem to ignore this analysis. I hoping my stock spare runflat will get me to a dealer or the nearest service station.

Novi
04-28-06, 06:27 PM
I am glad this issue was brought up again. The smart members here seem to come up with fresh ideas about converting to non-runflats and the spare issue.

Here is my question:

Next week I will be mounting my new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s and new Asanti 3 piece rims. My first thought was to use one of my stock run flats as a spare and configure it according to the spare tire mounting directions and part #'s on Reeds site. Would this potentially be dangerous or possibly damage the vehicle; running a GY F1 with three different rims and tires?

Run Bridgestone S03's on TSW wheels with my GY Runcrap mounted on a fifth TSW as a spare. Had a leak on the right front. Ran with the Runcrap for a full day and 350 miles with no problems. Only issue was the realization that the F1 is kind of an ugly tire compared to the conventional High Performance tires.

V-SATX
04-28-06, 06:29 PM
Run Bridgestone S03's on TSW wheels with my GY Runcrap mounted on a fifth TSW as a spare. Had a leak on the right front. Ran with the Runcrap for a full day and 350 miles with no problems. Only issue was the realization that the F1 is kind of an ugly tire compared to the conventional High Performance tires.

Thats what I thought. Thanks

:thumbsup: