Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tire pressures

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Rboughne1 
#1 ·
So what sort of pressures are everyone running on their V's? I know tire mfg will vary some on what their max pressures are but curious what everyone is running.
Mine have been low so I just upped the pressure to tire mfg max. Checked today for 1st time since I got the car and found they were all 31-32psi, thought the tpms would have triggered being that low..!

OHTSU FP8000 275/40ZR19 101W
Yokohama Avid Envigor 255/45R18 103W

Set all 4 corners to 50psi, max tire ratings are 51psi.

#2 ·
Whoa, bro. The correct tire pressures for each vehicle are printed on a sticker in the driver side door jamb. The pressure on the tire is just that, the max pressure for the tire to achieve its highest load rating. Tire pressure is set by the car manufacturer labeling because the suspension is engineered to be in tune with it. You leave the pressure that high and your going to bald your centers FAST! The car isn't heavy enough to require max inflation like that, and it'll ride like SHIT.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, it is why I asked. I just filled them higher tonight, not even driven on them. I went higher pressure as I can feel them roll when I drop in to apex a long sweeper on my way to work. Felt like they were low so I checked sidewall..

Would the individual tire also not affect what the correct pressure is with regard to what the tire Mfg designed the tire to run at?

#4 ·
No. The pressure rating printed on the car is the pressure rating regardless of tire choice. The car and it's suspension are set up for that pressure to handle properly. The tire obviously also needs to be able to handle the weight of the car, and that is the script, for example, "(103Y)" you see printed on the sidewall. The third safety factor is the speed rating of the tire, Z. You need a tire that can handle the both the weight and the potential RPM they will be subjected to. The manufacturer decided the correct pressure to run the tires based upon these two factors is in the low 30# vicinity, and designed the suspension to be compliant with that.

#10 ·
My low warning is set to 25psi. I run mine at 28psi rear hot and 32psi front hot and have for 5 years. That also gives me the best wear on the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.