: XM cutting out

dqw1
04-18-06, 05:15 PM
For the third time in the last 5 days my XM radio cut off completely. What was left was only AM, FM 1 & 2. I also had my NAV running the first time and it switched a few times to FM and back to NAV. Everything returns to normal after about 10-15 minutes. I have the Radios and More Ipod kit also and of course ,that also stopped working. Anyone else have this happen? I have to get a service done next week but I want to make sure I check everything first because this is intermittent.

Ziplicon Tuesday
04-18-06, 07:10 PM
For the third time in the last 5 days my XM radio cut off completely. What was left was only AM, FM 1 & 2. I also had my NAV running the first time and it switched a few times to FM and back to NAV. Everything returns to normal after about 10-15 minutes. I have the Radios and More Ipod kit also and of course ,that also stopped working. Anyone else have this happen? I have to get a service done next week but I want to make sure I check everything first because this is intermittent.

Yup - sure have - exactly as you describe. I had it back to the dealer - claimed they removed it and checked it out (lied) and of course found nothing. Oddly, it happened last summer and into the fall about one in 25 times I started the car - as winter came it stopped completely. Last week it started happening again - twice so far.

It's as if it sometimes doesn't make whatever uplink needs to happen and it has to be off for like 5 min to reset. It's a pain when it happens. Also this morning all my pre-sets on XM just said Channel 0 and I had to reset them - but that never happened before - and I don't think it's related since XM was still working at the time.

dqw1
04-18-06, 08:02 PM
Well, this weekend I'll check the splice between the ipod and XM just to be sure. If it happens again over weekend I'll disconnect the ipod power and normal up the XM. After that I'll take it in. This is really aggrevating. Not sure what to do beyond that. Taking an intermittent probelm are the worst to get fixed.
Reed or anyone know anything about this?

Kidhummer
04-18-06, 08:06 PM
I have the same problem..also my XM channels were playing the music I preset but were listing different channel names then I programmed. XM cut out yesterday and today it switched from FM to Navi..weird

dqw1
04-18-06, 08:24 PM
wow!!!So this is not isolated to just two of us, this makes three so far. Might be some kind of trend. I agree, this is very strange.

ctsvett
04-18-06, 10:43 PM
TSB on it...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/06-08-44-011a.pdf

The ipod should NOT affect it BTW...

Reed

Kidhummer
04-19-06, 01:07 AM
Thanks..that explains it

Kadonny
04-19-06, 06:37 AM
Had it happen once on my 06 so far.

dqw1
04-19-06, 08:12 AM
That's it exactly. I guess the DDR is the rear module?

nikon
04-19-06, 09:28 AM
happens to me too, but only started once I hooked up the ipod kit. Ill check that TSB

hmm, the TSB only says on vehicle startup...Ill be driving listening to the Ipod, then all of a sudden static then it switches to fm, then gotta turn the car off, wait and it'll work again. Kinda sucks though, I know there gonna give me hell for having the ipod hooked up and say that caused the problem. ugh. I just cant win with this car.

dqw1
04-19-06, 11:12 AM
I think I'll unhook my Ipod to take that out of the equation before I have it looked at. I don't want them blaming that. I misspoke earlier, mine doesn't cut off at start up-it happens when I'm driving as Nikon wrote.

Ziplicon Tuesday
04-19-06, 12:21 PM
Reed - thanks for the TSB - that is exactly the issue I'm having and pretty much what I expected is happening. It's SO much easier to go to the dealer with the TSB in hand than have them not be able to duplicate the problem multiple times and pretend it doesn't occur.

Much obliged once again!

teros1
04-20-06, 01:16 AM
Oddly, it happened last summer and into the fall about one in 25 times I started the car - as winter came it stopped completely. Last week it started happening again - twice so far.
Mine has cut out about 10 times in past year -- but only in warm weather.

I don't know if we have enough data to draw correlations, but heat seems to be a factor (notwithstanding the TSB).

Bob

99GTX
04-20-06, 09:29 AM
Ill be driving listening to the Ipod, then all of a sudden static then it switches to fm, then gotta turn the car off, wait and it'll work again.

This is the exact same problem I'm having. When I first described it to R&M, they said it might be a firmware or heat issue. They sent me the latest interface module (the one that supports the video iPods) and suggested I move the module as far away from the radio as possible. My module is now tucked partially into the center console in front of the shifter and I'm still having the problem. It cuts out after about 45 mins. of listening to the iPod.

I talked to Reed and he and I think that it may be a relay issue (in the new radio wiring harness) or some issue w/ the power wire running to the XM module. I'm kinda doubting it's a power wire problem. I'm going to call R&M again to see what they have to say.

end9472
04-20-06, 08:49 PM
happens to me too, but only started once I hooked up the ipod kit. Ill check that TSB

hmm, the TSB only says on vehicle startup...Ill be driving listening to the Ipod, then all of a sudden static then it switches to fm, then gotta turn the car off, wait and it'll work again. Kinda sucks though, I know there gonna give me hell for having the ipod hooked up and say that caused the problem. ugh. I just cant win with this car.

Same exact thing has happened to me 94-5 times) although it did not start happending until the dealer replaced the radio (for an unrelated problem with the cd player). I note others have speculated about the temperature possibly being a factor. My experience has been in colder temperatures.

I sure hope the '07, and certainly the '08s, have a factory port/jack.

end9472
04-20-06, 08:54 PM
Same exact thing has happened to me 94-5 times) although it did not start happending until the dealer replaced the radio (for an unrelated problem with the cd player). I note others have speculated about the temperature possibly being a factor. My experience has been in colder temperatures.

I sure hope the '07, and certainly the '08s, have a factory port/jack.

Um . . . that 4-5 times. I have had a number of issues with this car but I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment.