Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anybody buy the Brakemotive set and have a problem with install of emergency brake?

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Rboughne1 
#1 ·
I have the correct part numbers according to Brakemotive but they will not clear the emergency brakes. They get hung up going one about an 1.5" from going on all of the way.

#5 ·
Time for the stupid questions ...

You didn't accidentally set the parking brake with the old rotors off did you?
Can you adjust the parking brake shoes to let them retract more?

----------

Rotate the parking brake adjusting nut (2)

That step is from brake shoe replacement, now supposedly the parking brake is auto adjust, however there is this adjuster too.

#7 ·
Rotors are in the right spots. See the photo above and we even confirmed the part numbers to be in the right locations. The car is at a busy performance shop. I would find it off if they had not pulled the shoes all the way in before putting on the rotor but stranger things have happened and will call them on this.

----------

Confirmed that the e brake is pulled all the way back. The tech working on my car is a 30 year master tech and he says they cannot go back any more. They are tight as can be.

#8 ·
Huh...I thought it would be b/c the emergency brake was engaged by the looks of those pictures. I still think there is an emergency brake issue here, something is out of adjustment in the linkage. If the other rear rotor fit, this one should too. I highly doubt that they shipped two different rear rotors in the same box...

#9 ·
Is it one side or both that are bad? Does anyone have measurements on what OEM spec drum ID should be so that we can compare?

My gut says the emergency brake adjustment needs to be backed out more, but 30yr mechanic would know that and have done it so now we just need to compare bore of OEM to these brakemotive ones. This is the 1st time I have heard anyone have an issue.. Brakemotive is VERY good about responding to issues and will take care of you, just have to contact them. I have not installed my STSV set yet, will see if I have a way to measure the bore at home to give you a measurement to compare...

#10 ·
I ended up using the AC Delco replacement rear rotor with no issues. In comparing the two rotors it is obvious that the Brakemotive rotor is not bored out the same as the factory rotor. They have the same opening diameter but at the deepest point the Brakemotive rotor is tapered in a bit. This is on both rear rotors. Brakemotive was very good about accepting the return on their rotors and I provided them with photos for their records of the differences. I hope nobody else has these issues since the Delco rotors are way more expensive than the whole Brakemotive kit.

#11 ·
Glad you got it sorted out Commander, sorry to hear they do not fit. now I might have to look at installing mine to make sure they work, even though I don't need brakes yet!

Any chance you took a measurement of the AC Delco unit before you put them on? Is the taper visible in the brakemotive?

#13 ·
Perhaps they just got a bad lot of these rotors or perhaps there was a change in the ebrake on the 08-09 car. We did not take a measurement of the internal tapering on the rotor. We did measure the opening and they are identical with the factory rotor at the opening which is why they start to go on like normal then get pinched.

#15 ·
Well this combined with looking at my rotors I can see they are pretty warn (big lip in inside and outside edge were pads do not ride), and the extreme amount if brakedust of the current setup have me strongly thinking about doing full brakes today on the V.

I drove 80 miles yesterday, mostly on highway not braking and lastnight when doing tire pressure I noticed the wheels were already grey from the dust and the car was washed Friday night! hopefully these new brakemotives are less dust like everyone says..

I will start with the rear brakes 1st..

#19 ·
I have an 09 and have used Brakemotive for years, never any problems. However over time the drilled rotors develop hair-line cracks in the inner holes in the inner portion of the rotor. I experienced this with Brembo as well so I am assuming it is the nature of the beast (drilled rotors). But more importantly, no broken rotors and I really really "drive" my V. Brakemotive will easily replace rotors that exhibit this within one year of purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.