: What type of air intake?

SgtDriggs
04-18-06, 11:06 AM
I was debating on taking out the resonators but in order to have good flow out you also need good flow in. I am bouncing back and forth to the K&N air filter that will fit in the filter box or taking out the box completely and putting in a cold air intake. Somewhere on the forum I heard that keeping your filter system the same and putting in a K&N air filter is the same as taking apart the whole system and using a cold air intake.

gixxer_751
04-18-06, 12:36 PM
i dont think its the same, the exposed K&N will get a bit more air, but fractions of an increase in horses......with a V8 it would make more of a difference but with a V6, Id go with the boxed K&N to save your engine from dust particals from the cold air K&N

SgtDriggs
04-18-06, 01:19 PM
True. Thanks

heavycat
04-19-06, 01:29 PM
I installed a K&N cold air on my 2000 catera. The sound is the most noticable improvement. As of now, i removed the air box and put in the Cone filter. But know with summer coming I am worried about the warm air being sucked in from under the hood. My plan now is to put back the factory airbox, but to remove the factory filter and resinator. Then place my K&N filter directly on the intake tube that is behind the front grille. Very little mod work, and It should allow for increased airflow as well as bring in much colder air. Its alomost like a ram air setup. Another idea would be to buy the K&N replacement filter and just remove the resinator. In that case you could even mod the intake tube in the front grille so it faces straight on, Should bring in some serious air.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Elo
04-19-06, 03:54 PM
I installed a K&N cold air on my 2000 catera. The sound is the most noticable improvement. As of now, i removed the air box and put in the Cone filter. But know with summer coming I am worried about the warm air being sucked in from under the hood. My plan now is to put back the factory airbox, but to remove the factory filter and resinator. Then place my K&N filter directly on the intake tube that is behind the front grille. Very little mod work, and It should allow for increased airflow as well as bring in much colder air. Its alomost like a ram air setup. Another idea would be to buy the K&N replacement filter and just remove the resinator. In that case you could even mod the intake tube in the front grille so it faces straight on, Should bring in some serious air.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

I'm currently working on a mod to modify that air intake line to have it aimed towards the front... I'l be sure to post pics of the process when I have it all worked out... :D

And in all seriousness, the main reason why I want to go with a K&N filter is because they just flat out rock, IMO... Can't beat an air filter you never have to replace... :thumbsup:

-Elo

SgtDriggs
04-19-06, 04:23 PM
Thanks alot guys for your info. I don't know if it was on this forum or not but I was looking at a way to cut a hole in the box for additional airflow. In the box on the corner is a square and he cut a hole there and put in a adapter for an additional airflow pipe to blow on the air filter. Looked like a good idea.

SgtDriggs
04-19-06, 04:24 PM
I'm currently working on a mod to modify that air intake line to have it aimed towards the front... I'l be sure to post pics of the process when I have it all worked out... :D

And in all seriousness, the main reason why I want to go with a K&N filter is because they just flat out rock, IMO... Can't beat an air filter you never have to replace... :thumbsup:

-Elo

I love K&N also. Had one in every car of mine.

gixxer_751
04-19-06, 05:11 PM
yeah, i got one on my bike its a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 750, my jeep and still pending on catera,........they are expensive for the cat

SgtDriggs
04-20-06, 09:29 AM
I searched all the auto stores for the K&N air filter for the catera and all of them have to order it. All prices range around $50. I don't mind paying $50 for a part that I will never have to change. :thumbsup:

caddy4sho
04-20-06, 12:46 PM
IMy plan now is to put back the factory airbox, but to remove the factory filter and resinator. Then place my K&N filter directly on the intake tube that is behind the front grille.

Thats similiar to what i did last summer. The major change for me was i completely took out the airbox. If there is no filter inside it, then why have it. So I temporarily used some pvc to replace the airbox. I then connected the tube behind the grill to the the rest of the system and then used some of blue fastener that is commonly found on turbo's to connect the K&N to the tube behind the grill. I had to do some small modifications to that tube that weren't hard they were just tedious. Then again that was due to my overkill(the K&N style Ii have is the 10" cone filter). I haven't had the time, but my plan with the pvc is to get the same shape made from exhaust tubing. Since I am using some big piping(3") the cheapest estimate I got to have it made was $90. They said that due to the sharp turns of the tubind they would have to cut and weld. Oh well...lol. I'll try to post pics in the future...

Oh and i didn't just get this all on my own i got a lot of help from people on this forums when i was putting this all together(last summer), so im not taking credit of other people's work. THat happens way to much when it comes to customizing vehicles. I would recommend that whatever pictures you post, post them in a secure area like forums...to many times did I post something on cardomain and then 3 months later someone comes along and uses my exact plan and design of an audio component and claims it for their own idea. SO THIS I AM SAYING IS NOT ALL MY OWN IDEA....sorry had to vent...it just peeves me

Resilient
04-20-06, 02:55 PM
Thats similiar to what i did last summer. The major change for me was i completely took out the airbox. If there is no filter inside it, then why have it. Why would there not be a filter... it has a standard issue paper\fabric filter... normally, unless someone removed it and never put it back in.

I have the K&N specific replacement filter, not other changes... and clean it with the K&N recharge kit when required.

Resilient
04-20-06, 02:59 PM
I don't know if it was on this forum or not but I was looking at a way to cut a hole in the box for additional airflow. In the box on the corner is a square and he cut a hole there and put in a adapter for an additional airflow pipe to blow on the air filter. Looked like a good idea.I posted something similar a few weeks back...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/57774-cold-air-induction-real-hype.html?highlight=cold+air

or direct
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81033

I am not too sure about how weel the K$N Cone filter replacement for the airbox would work better, from everything I've read (and understand) cold air is better than hot air... so why would people replace the air box which has a cold air intake going to the front of the car feeding from the grill\radiator and replace with a cone filter which will just suck air from the enside of the engine bay ? (just an observation)

caddy4sho
04-20-06, 11:45 PM
in response to resilient... I had taken out the standard air filter from the airbox, since i had placed the k&n behind the grill(theres no use in having both filters)

SgtDriggs
04-21-06, 12:48 AM
I posted something similar a few weeks back...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/57774-cold-air-induction-real-hype.html?highlight=cold+air

or direct
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81033

I am not too sure about how weel the K$N Cone filter replacement for the airbox would work better, from everything I've read (and understand) cold air is better than hot air... so why would people replace the air box which has a cold air intake going to the front of the car feeding from the grill\radiator and replace with a cone filter which will just suck air from the enside of the engine bay ? (just an observation)

Yeah, that is exactly what I was talking about. Seems like you would be getting alot more cold air that way. Where did you connect the tubing to on the bottom of the engine bay?

AllenPacla
04-23-06, 10:21 AM
Not so long ago, I did some work on my Catera's intake. If you are just after more cold air going in or just more air going in, I don't suggest that you go for the cone air filter, just replace the oem filter with a K&N replacement and just like i did, make an extra opening at the tip of the cold air pipe in the front of the grille. I drilled extra holes under the pipe exactly under where it bends so that water will not pool inside in case of a rainy day. This has been discussed here for quite a many times here on whether it's beneficial for the Catera or not. Here's a picture of the cut i made on the tip of the pipe in front of the grill.

SgtDriggs
04-24-06, 08:50 AM
Not so long ago, I did some work on my Catera's intake. If you are just after more cold air going in or just more air going in, I don't suggest that you go for the cone air filter, just replace the oem filter with a K&N replacement and just like i did, make an extra opening at the tip of the cold air pipe in the front of the grille. I drilled extra holes under the pipe exactly under where it bends so that water will not pool inside in case of a rainy day. This has been discussed here for quite a many times here on whether it's beneficial for the Catera or not. Here's a picture of the cut i made on the tip of the pipe in front of the grill.

Looks good, I'm going to try it. Is there any sound difference with that modification?

Resilient
04-24-06, 09:31 AM
..since i had placed the k&n behind the grill(theres no use in having both filters).. there's a second filter? I haven't dug deep in the underside\behiond the grill where the cold air intake comes in... yet.

Resilient
04-24-06, 09:32 AM
Where did you connect the tubing to on the bottom of the engine bay?I didn't do that mod, it was something I cam across a few weeks back, when we were talking cold air induction systems...

SgtDriggs
04-24-06, 02:22 PM

Do you notice any performance difference?

SgtDriggs
04-24-06, 09:34 PM
Also, do you have to reset the computer as in unplugging battery cable then hooking back up for the computer (or airflow sensor)to register this air flow change? I had to do that on another car since the air flow changed. Anyone?

AllenPacla
04-24-06, 09:44 PM
With my mod in the cold air intake pipe, there wasn't any big difference in the sound. But after i removed the resonators, coupled with K&N filters, the sound was awesome. I even had to place back the original filter because the sound was kinda on the loud side for my taste. But performance wise, it's more noticeable when i removed the resonators. Specially when I'm cruising at about 50mph, and accelerating , the car is more responsive. You have to remember that the butterfly in the air intake of the catera only fully opens at a certain rpm. I am not sure about the figures, perhaps Jeffrey could provide some input on this one.

caddy4sho
04-24-06, 10:18 PM
The way I set mine up you can really hear the difference past 3000 rpm when the valves open up all the way. Also you dont have to worry about resetting anything...its a caddy baby!! lol