: 95 Northstar Coolant leak

dboncio99
04-17-06, 03:59 PM
I am seeing a drip on drivers side in front of the wheel of coolant, it is pretty constant and I get the "low Coolant" message after about 2-3 days. I have checked the pump on that side and it looks dry, I haven't looked at lower hose yet, since I haven't had it off the ground. Anything else it might be in that area other than a leaking lower radiator hose?

eldorado1
04-17-06, 04:17 PM
water crossover gasket? Heater hose?

Ranger
04-17-06, 09:18 PM
Plastic radiator side tanks.

dboncio99
04-18-06, 02:37 PM
Looks like it is coming from Water pump shaft. I understand there is a special tool for replacing the pump. Anyone ever done this? What kind of cost for the tool and pump?

chevelle
04-18-06, 03:38 PM
Looks like it is coming from Water pump shaft. I understand there is a special tool for replacing the pump. Anyone ever done this? What kind of cost for the tool and pump?

Lots of people have replaced the water pump. Relatively easy job. Take the water pump cover off (where the radiator hose attaches) and the water pump drive belt. Remove the water pump casette with the special tool and install the new one. It just clocks into place into tangs machined into the water pump housing so all you replace is the pump/bearing/pulley assembly itself. Looking at the pump from the opening of the water pump housing cover you turn the pump clockwise to remove it and counterclockwise to install. That is about the only tricky thing is that it is "left handed" when removing/installing it into the tangs.

The tool can usually be rented from an autoparts store as they are relatively common. The OEM pump assembly is in the neighborhood of $80 the last time I looked.

If you can do most anything under the hood you will find that this is the easiest water pump in the world to change.

cart69
04-19-06, 12:06 AM
you can get the tool off ebay for around 20 bucks or so thats where i got mine super easy job, look for new water pumps on ebay as well i have found some deals on them there too, like 45 shipped i think was the best price i found on one new from ebay

JCM1
04-19-06, 12:48 AM
Yes, very easy job. I watched my friend do it to his 97' Eldorado in literaly 30-40 minutes. I was very surprized.

Zorb750
04-19-06, 01:09 AM
Murrays and Autozone have them that you can loan out from them.

A word of caution about Murrays... Don't destroy the box. I got mine wet (not coolant, just water - and not a lot of it either) and they wouldn't take the tool back. Either way I got a nice socket for $29, but I shouldn't have had to keep it. The box dried totally within a few days too.

dboncio99
04-19-06, 12:00 PM
Thanks Guys, this saves me $400 at the dealer! I was thinking the tool was goiing to be over $100. NAPA didn't have it so I will check ebay and auto zone. Thanks again! these are great cars and at 161k miles I have little to complain about!

Ranger
04-19-06, 09:18 PM
Well, a good machined tool from Snap-On or Kentmoore will run close to $100. A cheap stamped steel one from Lysle will run about $20.

chevelle
04-20-06, 12:41 PM
Well, a good machined tool from Snap-On or Kentmoore will run close to $100. A cheap stamped steel one from Lysle will run about $20.

And a custom made, billet, machined water pump socket.... ???? .....

PRICELESS !!! LOL LOL