: LS6 experts check in...

thebigjimsho
04-16-06, 03:36 PM
Here's the deal. I'm looking to do some upgrades to the V. Unfortunately, because of an extended hospital stay and missing time at work and a bad day with the taxman, I've lost a good few thousand. So I am limited in what I can do.

The V is getting sway bars, coilovers and wider wheels, that's a given. I'm also getting headers and a tune.

Here's what I want to do, though. I originally wanted heads and cams. I can't spend the dough on heads. I want a V that will shine on the road course. I want more power up top without much loss of torque down low. I would also like to extend the rev limiter and get a few hundred extra rpm. I don't mind a lopey idle...as long as it doesn't give me motion sickness.

So...what specs for cams, update the rockers, pushrods, valve springs?? What should I do? And heads may be in the future, so can I do the optimal setup that will work with stock heads and future heads??

I am by no means a gearhead although I understand the basics. What I'm looking for is some input on going about this.

heavymetals
04-16-06, 04:15 PM
Hey Jim.

Check out my " Mod Hell" thread.

I did rockers, springs and pushrods.

(Also a valve job:eek: )

You could transfer all of the stuff over to replacement heads later on.:thumbsup:

CTSV05
04-16-06, 05:39 PM
there are 2 cams that look good for the V, I'd stay with the .580 lift with stock heads.

I think, My opinion here, the 1.8 rockers, the .580 ish cam, and new springs will give you a nice mechanical boost, then with a good tune, headers and exh. You should reach your goals as described.

VegasCTS-V
04-16-06, 05:50 PM
Here's the deal. I'm looking to do some upgrades to the V. Unfortunately, because of an extended hospital stay and missing time at work and a bad day with the taxman, I've lost a good few thousand. So I am limited in what I can do.

The V is getting sway bars, coilovers and wider wheels, that's a given. I'm also getting headers and a tune.

Here's what I want to do, though. I originally wanted heads and cams. I can't spend the dough on heads. I want a V that will shine on the road course. I want more power up top without much loss of torque down low. I would also like to extend the rev limiter and get a few hundred extra rpm. I don't mind a lopey idle...as long as it doesn't give me motion sickness.

So...what specs for cams, update the rockers, pushrods, valve springs?? What should I do? And heads may be in the future, so can I do the optimal setup that will work with stock heads and future heads??

I am by no means a gearhead although I understand the basics. What I'm looking for is some input on going about this.

LS6 heads are great heads, don't worry about not replacing them unless you are going to spend your days driving at 7,000 rpm. A 224/228 .5ish cam would be good in the V. Headers do allow those heads to work much much better as well.

Rey
04-16-06, 06:46 PM
I would be real cautious about 7000 with stock motor innards. Talk to some motor builders about this.
LS6s seem to respond very well to even mild cam changes. Was talking with Myron Cottrell of TPIS recently. They recently built a LS6 race motor in which they were allowed to make some very minor cam changes. They installed a cam with just 6 additional degrees of intake and exhaust, and picked up 30 dyno horsepower over the baseline blueprinted LS6.

Tuner@A&ACorvette
04-16-06, 07:05 PM
......snipped....I'm also getting headers and a tune.

1) I want a V that will shine on the road course.
2) I want more power up top without much loss of torque down low.
3) I would also like to extend the rev limiter and get a few hundred extra rpm.
4) I don't mind a lopey idle...as long as it doesn't give me motion sickness.
5) So...what specs for cams,

6) update the rockers, pushrods, valve springs??
7) Can I do the optimal setup that will work with stock heads and future heads??
...snipped
I snipped a bunch out to get to all the questions...

1,2,3,4,5 ....But a cam that will pass a sniffer -

223 - 227 / .581 - .590 on 116 LSA

1,2,3,4,5 ....But a cam that will not easily pass a sniffer -

225- 229 / .593 - .608 on 115 LSA

1,2,3,4,5 ....But a cam that will not pass a sniffer -

227- 232 / .611 - .619 on 114 LSA +1

6 - upgrade springs and retainers - leave the rockers alone

7 - All the cams will be complimented by good cylinder heads

thebigjimsho
04-16-06, 09:27 PM
Thanks a lot guys. And A&A. That's what I was hoping for.

As for the cam, we have some somewhat stringent emissions but not overly so, I think. I will be running cats with the headers, if that makes a difference in which cam to purchase.

DILLIGAF
04-16-06, 09:33 PM
A&A,could we have your opinions about which heads are better and why,also the cost of replacement heads?I plan on doing some more mods to my maggied v down the road.

Closer_2001
04-16-06, 09:49 PM
A. 223 - 227 / .581 - .590 on 116 LSA

B. 225- 229 / .593 - .608 on 115 LSA

C. 227- 232 / .611 - .619 on 114 LSA +1

So, hypothetically, which A.B. or C is closest to the 440 RWHP Cam?

:angel:

Florian
04-16-06, 10:28 PM
C, no question.

F

Luna.
04-16-06, 10:36 PM
I don't think so.

If I understand correctly, the cam/head setup that was installed will easily pass a smog test and will not result in any significant difference at idle. I wouldn't think that would be cam C, but, perhaps, I'm incorrect...

And 440/400 isn't that huge either. I don't think the duration at .005 would need to be as large as cam C is.

Florian
04-16-06, 10:47 PM
I think your LSA is going to be a big factor in the puzzle, I could be wrong.

F

obzidian
04-17-06, 12:09 AM
440rwhp with a cam only motor will be tough but doable.

I agree that the stocker rockers and upgrade your valvetrain, it is a must, IMO.

Now, if your looking fo civility, ANY cam can be made to be smooth of course given the overall design of that particular cam. For example, the LSA is the overall overlap event. It dictates the amount of time both valves are open simultaniously (spelling!). In a nut shell, the more time you have this particular event occuring, giving you a lower LSA number, not to mention the way a valve snaps open or close, the more scavanging you will have. Scavanging is good becuz the exhaust velocity sucks in fresh air in faster through the intake valve adn aids in power productivity. However, a lower LSA, the choppier your cam will be. That is not be any means the definitive factor the way a cam will behave.

I f i were you, i would try to find a well established porting shop and have your stock LS6 heads ported, possibly CNC'd. ME, i would go with a CAM, and that would be up in the 228/231 OR a 231/237, all on a 114 or a 113lsa. My buddies h/c firehawk, with a 231/237 cam, made 480rwhp and 430rwtrq with a great tune and awesome daily driveability. HE had full bolt-ons, cats, ported ls1 tb, corsa exhaust and ewp. Of course, we spent sometime on the tune but it finally dialed in nicely an pulls like animal. consistant 11.5-11.7 car.

good luck... these motors love cam swaps and even though i mentioned a pretty large cam, you can and will be surprised what smaller cams and good tuens can do. You should expect a 400rwhp results, cam only, but with ported heads you can see anywhere from 430rwhp nd up.

OH, you mentioned smog, well, im not expert since we dont have that problem in south florida, but, a higher lsa count, will have less overlap, therefore your motor will emit less unburned gases into the atomosphere... DING, cleaner pipes!!! But again, cams are VERY, VERY..... VERY tricky and it can get hair. But, im a firm believer that a well designed tune can make even a monsterous cam as docile and tame as a pen fully of baby bunny rabbits... unless your in monty pythons the holy grail and ran into the "rabbid creature with really big, big teeth" ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Tuner@A&ACorvette
04-17-06, 01:52 AM
A&A,could we have your opinions about which heads are better and why,also the cost of replacement heads?I plan on doing some more mods to my maggied v down the road.

I’ll throw in some cylinder head information here…

We base our recommendation on the data we’ve gathered over countless flow bench and dyno sessions of our own, not the manufacturers data

On the LS6 and LS2 platforms, we recommend AFR, ETP and Edelbrock based solutions. Each of these has shown superior flow and power characteristics as well as consistency in machining, reliability and power.

On our stroker motors, in addition to the above, we offer GMHP LS7 cylinder heads and ALL Pro Heads.

All cylinder heads are fully CNC machined.

Prices are in the $2400 range for AFR and Edelbrocks, slightly higher on the ETP and All Pro's.

Please feel free to call me for more detailed information if needed.

Charlie

verbs
04-17-06, 03:45 AM
I snipped a bunch out to get to all the questions...

1,2,3,4,5 ....But a cam that will pass a sniffer -

223 - 227 / .581 - .590 on 116 LSA

1,2,3,4,5 ....But a cam that will not easily pass a sniffer -

225- 229 / .593 - .608 on 115 LSA

1,2,3,4,5 ....But a cam that will not pass a sniffer -

227- 232 / .611 - .619 on 114 LSA +1

6 - upgrade springs and retainers - leave the rockers alone

7 - All the cams will be complimented by good cylinder heads

Many states just check the OBD II for codes and don't put it on the rollers, if that's the case he doesn't need to worry about cam size, just to make sure he's not throwing codes. I've seen people pass OBD II scans with cams as big as a 236/244 .631/.631 113 LSA..... (my old cam :D )

I absolutely agree on leaving the rockers alone. Aftermarket rockers are a waste with an aftermarket cam. He only wants a few hundred RPMs and a good roadcourse cam...to me that sounds like an LSA of 115-116 is going to raise his powerband a bit too high maybe?

dannystang
04-17-06, 11:12 PM
Umm so lemme get this right.

I have 370 rwhp. Headers/catback.

With new cam I can get to 440 rwhp?!?!?

Umm who ports ls6 heads in miami?

heavymetals
04-18-06, 01:13 AM
Gain? Beats me at the moment.

It is up on jackstands right now as Billy Boat rebuilds the headers/cats, and the tune gets done.

Dyno is on the list.

After that, then those black V's better look out.:want:

Also, a word about rocker arms.

I replaced the rockers with shaft mount adjustables (rolling rockers) so I can dial this thing in to the right preload..

Unless one has access to all the pushrod lengths made, your not gonna get the preload even. :thehand: