: Tax Time! Gotta replace some parts when the $$ rolls in....

N0DIH
04-16-06, 01:49 AM
Well, times almost here, got my return almost ready to send, gonna get a few $ back to afford some things for the LT1....

1. Optispark. 185K is pretty good for a stock Opti, eh?
2. Wires, I'm there might as well....
3. Timing Set
4. Water Pump (Again, 185K miles on it....)
5. Maybe I can swing some 1.6 Rollers and some new springs, maybe....
6. Tires. Probably gonna stick to the Kumho's http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Touring+A%2FS+795&partnum=37SR5TAS795W&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=8. I want the http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+TripleTred&partnum=37TR5FORTTT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=21, but they are pretty pricey.

Any advice on where to get the parts? I am leaning towards Dal and get GM stuff on the Opti and the Water Pump, and maybe the Timing Set.

I'll probably drop a grand into by the time I'm done. Would rather pickup a set of Impala SS wheels for it, if I can get rubber on them already... New rubber is pricey!

Am I missing anything while I am in the motor that far?

ocjmakaveli
04-16-06, 12:03 PM
Don't forget to check ebay lots of times you can get oem parts for lots cheaper than dal etc.

Some ppl just have overstock and sell for cheap or don't use the parts etc.

I'd have to know the price of a new opti to see if htis is worth it but I found a $150 opti new oem http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-LT1-Opti-spark-Distributor-cap-rotor-kit-94-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33688QQitemZ80567551 91QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

DPGC23
04-16-06, 12:55 PM
Niceeee,
Whats The Average Life Of A Water Pump?

Dpgc23

scurling
04-16-06, 03:11 PM
A few readers on Yahoo have been kicking around the tune up items on a Fltwd. LT1. Most of the experienced LT1 owners have said they don't go into the engine for a tuneup without changing the water pump too. The attitude being, once you open the engine up to get to the optisparc, you may as well change out the water pump, regardless of mileage.

I lost my Optisparc at 88K, and had a shop do the tuneup. They didn't replace the water pump, and the original pump is still strong at 135K.

caddycruiser
04-16-06, 10:29 PM
Mine's at 117k and I *think* still on the original Opti, water pump, and probably the plugs & wires too.

Come this fall, I'll start using the car for my 2+ hour drives between school and home, and just to try and nip any little thing in the bud beforehand, will likely replace at least a few things under the hood around July/August.

The Opti, I think, can make it a bit longer (or at least until the first sign of an issue with it), but I may do the water pump, just to be a little safer. That, and likely plugs & wires once I'm sure the ones in there are original...as well as a couple other things, which will probably come up over the course of this summer and my daily commute to work and back.

As for the tires, those Kumho's are great and still wearing like iron a year later on our '93. Very, very grippy in bad weather and also, as I've just started to notice, quite a bit smoother and quieter overall than the somewhat worn Michelins on my '95. The K's are well worth the low price, and definately not low quality.

My dad is actually thinking of doing an SS wheel (or chromed aftermarket/custom) combo on his Roadmaster, maybe this summer, but he'll have to look more into things like the cost of the larger tires first--the current cheapies from Pep Boys on the car are getting kinda iffy and he's always thought the stock wheels were ugly. And I'm likely going to swap on a set of stock chromes on my '95, and keep the same blackwall Michelins in the process. Judging by the way they look now and the 700 treadwear rating, they should last for quite some time still.

BCs71
04-17-06, 11:10 AM
Am I missing anything while I am in the motor that far?
Replace the three seals in the timing cover (distributor, crank, and water pump seals). Also, when you remove the timing cover it is difficult to avoid tearing the gasket for the oil pan (bottom of timing cover shares this gasket) unless you lower the oil pan. This may or may not require lifting the motor out of the mounts slightly to get at pan bolts obstructed by the motor crossmember. Supposedly some guys could droop the pan enough to remove the gasket and not tear it -- I didn't lift the motor so I ended up tearing mine. Honestly, I don't see how you can droop the pan enough to avoid tearing the gasket.

A new cam is just a step away once you have all the hard stuff done..... especially if you are doing new rockers and springs anyway! Only thing left is removing intake manifold (which is easy in comparison to other stuff you are getting into). Not sure that is your fancy, however.

Be sure to geta few o-rings for the opti shaft and water pump coupling. Dal can get you that stuff if you ask, but I think a new opti and pump will have that stuff anyway. It's $138 for a pump and $205-ish for an opti.

N0DIH
04-18-06, 04:31 PM
I have some prices from Dal now, some from NAPA, Dal is better, and they are new not reman. Go to Dal.....

Heck, NAPA is cheaper than Autozone more times than not lately.