: Clutch and trunk TSB completed

calicadi
04-15-06, 03:42 PM
Since I have experienced (rarely) the weak '04 clutch problem, I went ahead and scheduled the clutch and trunk TSB work (see FAQ). The dealership was shy about shifting near redline so asked me to demo the complaint. One slightly shaken service writer later the work was scheduled. The improved clutch is a definite improvement. Pedal effort did not change. Engagement/disengagement is smooth and consistent. Oddly, since I don't know how the clutch would effect this, there seems to be less driveline end-play noise (what some called "parade clunk"?)

The dealership (Michael Stead Cadilllac/Chevrolet, Walnut Creek, CA) did a brilliant job. No new squeeks, rattles or vibrations, and the pedal freeplay is now set right. They even washed the car. No issues raised about the mods I have.

So if you're on the fence about having this done, and you know you have the weak clutch problem, I highly recommend you go get it. :dance:

wildwhl
04-15-06, 04:55 PM
calicadi -

what is the trunk tsb about?

WW

ctsvett
04-15-06, 05:52 PM
I had that done the other day.... My trunk ended up coming back misaligned.. gotta go back in...

Bottom line: its meant to make your trunk pop up a little more and therefore easier to open... Its not that much different as far as I can see so far.. the motor is a bit louder (the "Click" part).

There is a TSB on it though...

Reed

BADAZGN
04-16-06, 08:02 AM
I had that done the other day.... My trunk ended up coming back misaligned.. gotta go back in...

Bottom line: its meant to make your trunk pop up a little more and therefore easier to open... Its not that much different as far as I can see so far.. the motor is a bit louder (the "Click" part).

There is a TSB on it though...

Reed

I had the trunk done as well. You are totally right about the louder click. Plus it didn't make any difference at all.

My service writer argued me that there was not a TSB about that. Then I printed out and brought it in. She then decided to do some research and found out I was right. LOL

Matthew

calicadi
04-16-06, 01:37 PM
calicadi -

what is the trunk tsb about?

WW
Pop the trunk and I could barley get my fingertips between the bumper facia and the trunk lid to lift it up. The TSB installs a new stricker assembly that puts the latch in a slightly higher position. Now when activated, the trunk lid pops up about three-quarters of an inch. Not much more than before but it does make a difference. It's a quality of life thing.:rolleyes:

To others reading this... I went to the FAQ, printed the TSBs and brought them to the dealer so they knew what I was talking about was legit. Support the FAQ with a donation and use it without guilt. Servers, disk drives, and software all cost money and all must be upgraded from time to time.

urbanski
04-16-06, 01:51 PM
seems to be just 04s
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-08-66-003.pdf

but mine doesn't "pop" either lol

benjet
04-16-06, 02:14 PM
Pop the trunk and I could barley get my fingertips between the bumper facia and the trunk lid to lift it up. The TSB installs a new stricker assembly that puts the latch in a slightly higher position. Now when activated, the trunk lid pops up about three-quarters of an inch. Not much more than before but it does make a difference. It's a quality of life thing.:rolleyes:

I've learned to open mine by placing my fingertips where the lic plate lights are so to speak. I don't want to say I grab there and lift bc I don't, it's more of a gentle coaxing with my fingertips.

YMMV.

SoCadillac
04-16-06, 02:25 PM
I had ours done, and they threw in new lift struts as well. It does make a difference as the lid now pops up as someone else stated, about 3/4" and you can definitively see that it is open whereas before you could never tell.

The burn is that my wife rented a new Toyota Avalon while on business and all I heard about when she returned was how she loved the automatic open and shut feature at a push of the handheld remote button, and why the CTS, being a Cadillac, didn't have it? To this date whenever she goes to the trunk of our CTS, I still get the Avalon story.

Moral: Albeit this feature would add unneeded weight to the V crowd, and probably be unwanted for that reason, Cadillac is missing out by not tapping into the female market. My wife is constantly reminding me that American car manufacturers still don't get it.

calicadi
04-16-06, 06:12 PM
I had ours done, and they threw in new lift struts as well. It does make a difference as the lid now pops up as someone else stated, about 3/4" and you can definitively see that it is open whereas before you could never tell.

The burn is that my wife rented a new Toyota Avalon while on business and all I heard about when she returned was how she loved the automatic open and shut feature at a push of the handheld remote button, and why the CTS, being a Cadillac, didn't have it? To this date whenever she goes to the trunk of our CTS, I still get the Avalon story.

Moral: Albeit this feature would add unneeded weight to the V crowd, and probably be unwanted for that reason, Cadillac is missing out by not tapping into the female market. My wife is constantly reminding me that American car manufacturers still don't get it.

For a long time Cadillac had an automatic trunk closing feature. People would forget and slam the trunk and break the mechanism. Add the new regulations to keep kids from getting locked in trunks and I think Cadillac did the right thing and abandonded it on passenger cars.

Next time she wants to grind you on the Avalon story, tell her you know a fellow V driver who's ex-wife used to repeat old stories a lot.

CIWS
04-16-06, 08:36 PM
Cadillac is missing out by not tapping into the female market.

I think most are missing out if they are not tapping into the female market. :D

;)

Barak
04-16-06, 09:45 PM
The trunk should pop open when you push the button. It shouldn't have to be lifted, especially considering that the area around the license plate tends to get dirty.