: Leaking Rear Diff

4DOORVET
04-15-06, 01:46 PM
How long can I / shoud I go with a leaking diff. I saw a very small spot on my garage floor last weekend. It has now turned into a large spot. Plan on taking it in on Monday. I also plan to track it at the Glen on May 8th, should I be worried? Hopefully it should be fixed by then.
This is my the second issuse on my two month old 06 V. The 1st being a leaking windshield. Looks like my V has a case of the leaks...... Not happy at all. This is my first american car in a long time. G35 and 330 with no problems before my V....

urbanski
04-15-06, 01:56 PM
06 eh
my 06 diff leaks fluid out its blowhole on the top, and i'm not the only one.
maybe somebody else with more data can chime in

L.A.P.D.
04-15-06, 01:59 PM
4DOORVET and urbanski,

I am sorry to hear that. Reading this makes me want to go out and check ours to make sure it isn't leaking from anywhere.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Shawn

lasstss
04-15-06, 02:41 PM
I have been wondering if they upped the volume on the 06 or put a vane in the case somewhere. It seems that they all sweat a bit. Its not the axle seals, seems to be out of the vent like Urb says. Its a very small amount.

CVP33
04-15-06, 03:04 PM
Ignore the leaking. It will stop................................eventually.

urbanski
04-15-06, 03:04 PM
yeah maybe 2 drops a night, down the driver side. certainly nothing to worry much about. especially considering i beat it like hell and its sure to be mighty warm inside.
i'll post back when i swap to Redline...if it changes things.

urbanski
04-15-06, 03:05 PM
Ignore the leaking. It will stop................................eventually.
didn't your Urologist say that?
:hide:
:highfive:
:alchi:
:thepan:
:want:

CVP33
04-15-06, 03:05 PM
didn't your Urologist say that?
:hide:
:highfive:
:alchi:
:thepan:
:want:

Mine hasn't leaked since I stopped seeing WW. Coincidence? Me thinks not. BTW - Why'd my thread get locked down again. No sense of humor I guess. I'll try to straighten up, not.

4DOORVET
04-15-06, 05:25 PM
My large spot on my garage floor was over 12 inches in diameter. I got an appt on Monday morning. I will let you know....

Davidstan
04-15-06, 05:47 PM
Mine has been leaking since 1st week but very little. Dealer said the same thing....coming out of the top release hole. Hope it stops soon like they promised. It is not for running it hard because i have been babying it so far.

lasstss
04-15-06, 06:02 PM
My large spot on my garage floor was over 12 inches in diameter. I got an appt on Monday morning. I will let you know....

Serious indeed... I had posted before that it is critical that a protection sleeve be used when reinstalling an axle. It its gets knicked, it will leak badly. Good luck with the check out.

4DOORVET
04-18-06, 09:54 PM
Well I brought my leaking V to the dealership yesterday. They said it was:

F2023 Pinion Shaft Oil Seal

So they replaced it. No more leaking, yet!!!

Watkins Glen for me and my V on 5/8.....

cash
04-19-06, 08:55 AM
If there is a blowhole/airvent in the top and oil is getting out does this not mean crap can get it?

04-19-06, 10:39 AM
If there is a blowhole/airvent in the top and oil is getting out does this not mean crap can get it?

They (rear diffs) all have some sort of vent, but they are usually baffled to prevent stuff from getting in. With off-road vehicles that are planned to be used in water that is deep enough for submersion of the vent, they must be modified with a snorkel for the vents....

heavymetals
10-31-07, 06:08 PM
Well I brought my leaking V to the dealership yesterday. They said it was:

F2023 Pinion Shaft Oil Seal

So they replaced it. No more leaking, yet!!!

Watkins Glen for me and my V on 5/8.....

Same thing just happened to me.

Dealer (PENSKE) replaced it while I waited :cool:.

No more spot on garage floor.

slothV
10-31-07, 08:21 PM
Mine leaked from the pinion bearing and the driver's side axle seal. Not enough to cause a puddle though. Both fixed under warranty.

z06bigbird
11-01-07, 12:18 AM
Corvette service mgr told me that rear fluid will leak out if people really push the car hard and race it. ???
He says he used to run a long neoprene hose up to the engine compartment area, keeping the front end of the hose higher than the rear end. Pressure blows grease thru length of hose; later gravity drains the grease back into rear.
Leak problem solved.

V-Smooth
11-01-07, 01:18 PM
I had the blow-hole leak and the front seal go bad-fluid was burnt on the cat-back :annoyed: ...had the pool going in the garage too. I put it off for about 2-3 months-figured I'd let is stew for awhile, finally took it in a couple weeks ago, they replaced it as I waited.

Now that it's "fixed" I feel better about it, time for some fun while the weather is still somewhat nice :sneaky: Speaking of-it's been dipping into the low 30s around here and all I can think about is snow-actually we have REALLY stupid people around here that do NOT know how to drive in the snow. We get 2-4" and the city shuts down...I dont get it.

darkman
11-01-07, 09:02 PM
Drivetrain - Fluid Leaks From Rear Differential
Bulletin No.: 07-04-20-001
Date: February 02, 2007
TECHNICAL
Subject:

Axle Fluid Seeping/Leaking From Rear Axle (Install Rear Differential Hose and Vent)

Models:

2003-2007 Cadillac CTS

2004-2007 Cadillac SRX
2005-2007 Cadillac STS
2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn SKY

Condition
Some customers may comment on fluid seeping or leaking from the rear axle.
Correction
Install a rear differential hose, clamps and a new metal differential vent.

CTSV_510
01-25-08, 10:43 PM
You can see here that I have a leak on the left side dripping on the exhaust pipe. Is this one of the common leaks that everyone gets?http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/40f6480756.jpg

Rey
01-26-08, 11:18 AM
If it is leaking from the vent, then the differential carrier case should be have some oil on it. That is easy to confirm. However, consider this - once the car is parked how can it leak from a vent hole located on the TOP of the case?
More likely is a leak from the pinion seal, a known problem area. If the dealer desides that the cure is a new pinion seal ask him to spread a thin, and I mean THIN, layer of silicon sealant on sealing surfaces. The dealer may decide that bearing failure is root cause of the leakage, and may replace the entire unit. You should be able to hear bearing noise.

ewill3rd
01-26-08, 12:46 PM
There are several things that CAN leak on this diff but only a few are common.

The most common is the "vent" leak. The vent is a small tube with a spring in it, a rubber cap, and a loosely attached metal cap. The spring holds pressure on the rubber piece to keep the water out, but when the pressure builds up inside the diff the pressure will overcome spring force and allow the excess pressure to escape. The V vent problem is related to the fact that the vent is mounted directly on the case. The TSB fix is to pop the cap off the vent, remove the rubber thing and the spring and attach a length of hose with a new vent on the far end.
Then you attach the new vent higher on the frame somewhere, this keeps the fluid from working its way out of the diff and leaking on the side of the case.

The picture above looks like it could be a vent issue, but there is a lot of fluid, I'd have to see it better but it could also be an axle seal. That should be looked at by someone who knows how to tell the difference.
Usually the vent leak is pretty slow, it doesn't push that much fluid out.
The vent is really to control the pressure between the inside of the case and the atmosphere, letting pressure out and NOT letting dirt and water in.

The next one would be the pinion shaft seal. The recall is coming on this but the new TSB that outlines the fix is probably exactly what the recall will be.
I advise against using silicon, but you certainly can if you want. Most modern seals... except the run of crappy ones they put out, are made to seal well without additional sealers and often the sealers you put on will actually promote leaks, not stop them.
The new design seal and yoke look like they will work very well. If it is leaking bad enough, have them do the TSB, don't wait for the recall.
Low fluid can smoke these things pretty fast.

I have replaced a couple of axle seals but in retrospect I may have been tricked by a vent leak.
If you choose to ignore the problem or wait until the recall comes out, at least be sure tha someone checks the fluid level.
These really don't hold much fluid so it doesn't take that much for it all to leak out.

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 01:27 PM
I really appreciate the info - I will make sure I get it into the dealer this week so they can fix it. I'm afraid that if I let this go I'll have real problems.

C66 Racing
01-26-08, 02:45 PM
I really appreciate the info - I will make sure I get it into the dealer this week so they can fix it. I'm afraid that if I let this go I'll have real problems.

Seems like the CTS-V diff is having similar problems to those experienced on the C5 Corvettes. On the track, I see the vent issue often as the vent on the C5 diff is on the top driver's side of the diff and my diff gets really hot on the track. That desensitized me to a failed left axle seal as the vent would put fluid on the left side of the diff so I didn't notice that my left axle seal was going bad. In the end, at a race in Memphis in March of 2005, my left axle seal all but gave out and the diff lost about half of its 1.7 quart capacity in a 40 minute race. The diff got so hot it melted the plastic gear that drives the speedometer input with six laps to go. But, I stayed out, the diff survived and I won the race.

That said, these diffs really don't have much fluid capacity and losing fluid is something I'd be concerned about, no matter the source. Good luck with yours.

CTSV_Rob
01-26-08, 02:48 PM
I thought I had an axle seal leak because it made a mess in my garage but it turned out to be the vent. Believe it or not, they new about this problem but still hadn't addressed it in the factory on the 07's. Lazy bastards, easier to have the dealerships handle it.

Before anyone jumps on their soap box, I may be bashing the fact this wasn't addressed but I AM NOT bashing GM. Love GM, Father retired from there and they put food on the table and a 400 hp caddy under my ass :cloud9:

SterlingV
01-26-08, 03:08 PM
My 07 had a leak with less than 2K miles. Known issue. I took it in, put another 2K on it and no issues since.

Rich H
01-27-08, 07:11 PM
This is what I discovered under my V this morning - a big puddle of fluid under the differential. First I thought it was the pinion seal. However, on closer inspection it looks like the leak is coming from the vent tube which extends to the right of the differental and is tied above the cross member. I could feel where the end cap was fitted on the end of the tube and it seems to be leaking from that point. I had the dealer install the vent tube TSB when they replaced my rear differential about 6 months ago. Never noticed any leaks until today. This seems to be a LOT of fluid to be leaking out in 1 or 2 days and I didn't push the car that hard. Looks like another trip to the dealer although I hate to take it back twice - now and for the pinion seal recall whenever that becomes authorized. :(

ewill3rd
01-28-08, 08:15 AM
Hard to tell much from that photo, looks like there is fluid on the exhaust? That could be a pinion seal.
If I saw it from the front or side, I could tell.

Rich H
01-28-08, 10:36 PM
The leak is definitely not from the pinion seal based on what I could see. I took it to the dealer this morning - I should know by tomorrow. I'm in no hurry since they gave me a 2008 STS rental to drive. Should I have them replace the pinion seal even if it's not leaking - or can they even do that before the recall starts?

Rich H
01-29-08, 09:53 PM
An update on my leaking differential:

Dealer installed an accumulator in the previously installed vent hose per TAC, case # 10111834. The parts list included a 1988 WC (accumulator?) and a 5651682 filter. I haven't inspected the work yet but the service advisor indicated this is a follow-on for the simple vent hose kit if there continues to be overflow. The pinion seal was bone dry as I had confirmed by my inspection earlier- maybe too dry. I would hope there would be some leakage to lubricate the seal. They pleaded complete ignorance on the upcoming pinion seal replacement recall.

Twitch
01-29-08, 10:26 PM
You can see here that I have a leak on the left side dripping on the exhaust pipe. Is this one of the common leaks that everyone gets?http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/40f6480756.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on my diff, checkig for leaks. Sure enough, this is what I found yesterday.
Mine is not this bad though, and its only a few day old. Just went under the car to check it out, and clean it, so I can keep track of how much is coming out. The leak is on the drivers side. Hard to see where its coming from, but its high, and the axel seal is wet. Not sure if the axel seal is leaking and spraying all over the place, or if its dripping on the axel and splattering.
Stupid question, but the pinoin seal is in the front by the drive shaft, right? That part of the diff is dry.
Called my dealer this morning, but they dont have any (new or old) pinoin seals. With it clean now, I'll try find the source of the leak.
Can I use mobil diff fluid to top it off? Its much easier to get that than it would be going to the dealer for the GM fluid.
BTW my diff never made noise, and I've been pretty easy on it lately.
Thanks for any help guys

Tony

heavymetals
01-29-08, 10:35 PM
Looks like the gasket or seal on the driver side output shaft cover.

The whole boot is coated on that side.

If it was the front pinion you would have splatter on both sides.

Rich H
01-29-08, 11:12 PM
I've been keeping an eye on my diff, checkig for leaks. Sure enough, this is what I found yesterday.
Mine is not this bad though, and its only a few day old. Just went under the car to check it out, and clean it, so I can keep track of how much is coming out. The leak is on the drivers side. Hard to see where its coming from, but its high, and the axel seal is wet. Not sure if the axel seal is leaking and spraying all over the place, or if its dripping on the axel and splattering.
Stupid question, but the pinoin seal is in the front by the drive shaft, right? That part of the diff is dry.
Called my dealer this morning, but they dont have any (new or old) pinoin seals. With it clean now, I'll try find the source of the leak.
Can I use mobil diff fluid to top it off? Its much easier to get that than it would be going to the dealer for the GM fluid.
BTW my diff never made noise, and I've been pretty easy on it lately.
Thanks for any help guys

Tony

This photo is not your car but you say your leak is similar -right? If you think the leak is above the axle half shaft and appears to be dripping onto the halfshaft and is being flung from that point it could be your vent overflow. Depending on where the vent disharges, and whether you have an overflow tube, it could be your problem. I couldn't believe the large amount of fluid that came out of mine in just a period of a few days - without a clear cause. Try running your fingers up high along the cross member to see if you can feel whether they installed a vent tube.

ctsv07
01-30-08, 02:08 PM
I have an 07 with 2800 miles on it and I noticed a small leak on my garage floor following a "hard" drive. Upon further inspection I noticed a small amount of fluid like the pic in prioe message. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned the underside od the car off and drove it. The mechanic said it wasnt leaking any longer. I asked how could that be and his reply was that in some of the new cars the fluid accidentally gets topped off with slightly too much fluid. I asked him why I didnt see it right away and he told me that if the leak is small enough it takes awhile to for the flluid to come up thru the vent. (he said in hard driving conditions with a little too much fluid a small amount of fluid will escape thru the vent with the hot air) I went out and pounded it for about 20 minutes and came back, put it on the lift, and the thing was bone dry underneath. This is a smaller dealership so i'm sure they don't see many V's. It makes a little sense when he expained it though. This is my first American car in about 12 years (BMW'S) and am not used to service talking off the problem. Any thoughts? My opinion is that a 50K car with 2800 miles shouldnt leak any fluids! I love the power though and if this is the only problem I have I will definiely get another.

Rich H
01-30-08, 03:25 PM
If you have a +06 differential I would insist on the dealer installing the vent tube kit - and even going as far as adding the accumulator as they did in my case. My differential was replaced about 6 months ago with the 06 differential including the vent tube and I had zero leakage until a few days ago - and then wham - a big puddle on the garge floor overnight and a trip to the dealer. I can't attribute the overflow to driving the car hard enough to heat up and expand the fluid although I do remember taking a few corners at higher than normal G force. So whatever the cause, these newer differentials tend to overflow and need to be watched closely.

CTSV_510
01-30-08, 03:46 PM
Here's an update guys - just got off the phone with the dealer. (by the way, sorry about the huge picture - its a PITA scrolling left and right to read these posts.)

The leak in the picture was from the pinion seal - replaced under warranty.
Also had a radiator leak - replace with new radiator tomorrow under warranty.
Heated seats not working...replace next week under warranty...cd player malfunction...replace next week under warranty...
...broken motor mount (thanks for the heads up Venomous-V)...replaced under warranty...

I guess thats all for this month.

heavymetals
01-30-08, 05:57 PM
If it was the front pinion you would have splatter on both sides.

my bad....

ewill3rd
01-31-08, 09:02 PM
As I said somewhere... hard to tell from that angle.