: know it all mechanic

cl1986
04-14-06, 11:59 PM
I took my truck in to have a brake controller put in and noticed a 97 STS black on black with the entire subframe out, engine apart and tranny and other parts all over the shop.....

I asked the mechanic who is spending the big bucks and he said the guy just bought it for $8k and the motor had a cracked block and some other issues....

He said he going the $5k route and getting a gm brand new N* since it has warranty.....i just laughed, wow a $13k 97 STS huh??

Then i asked a couple questions and his opinion on the northstar..... he goes on to say that hes building some custom car and planning on using this motor since he thinks he can get 700hp on stock internals and that it would hold up... then goes on to say how lousy a design it was and the tranny is pure junk and weak.....at this point im very confused since he thinks its a piece of junk but plans on using one for his custom made car....

Then goes on to say ya it would work if you want to tear it down all the time and rebuild it......notice just before how he said it would hold up..... the guy seemed to know his mechanics but then i noticed that he pulled all kinds of stuff apart when dropping the engine. He didnt remove the struts and drop the entire cradle like most of us would, instead he had axle shafts and thousands of other parts disassembled. I just thought it was dumb.....

Instead of having the motor sit on its own wheels he had like 6 jackstands holding everything up...... the more he talked the more i was wanting to tell him he didnt know shit but i kept quiet.....

zonie77
04-15-06, 12:17 AM
Ah, you should be a politician,,,instead of some we do have!

eldorado1
04-15-06, 02:29 PM
If you ever go back there, tell him the "northstar club" doesn't want him. Tell him to get a 350.