: Northstar Head Gasket Issue

tmorgan
04-14-06, 05:37 PM
99 4.6:L Deville
runs smooth, no smoke etc]Runs hot, I took it to a shop and was told
the head gasket was busted, They would not work on it. Called several
shops in SE Texas and got the same reply. Is this a comon occurance?
Thanks

eldorado1
04-14-06, 05:43 PM
Relatively common as far as one of the top major problems go, yes... As for shops not working on it, don't know why? Money is money... There's nothing particularly special about changing the head gasket in a caddy. You do have to drop the engine, but all shops should have the tools necessary to do that.

zonie77
04-14-06, 06:25 PM
It's a long job because you have to remove the engine, the cradle with engine drops out the bottom. I'm surprised they won't work on it but it is a long job and would tie up one of their bays awhile. But it shouldn't matter if it's one long job or 10 short ones. Some mechanics are afraid of anything different. That's more likely.

You could keep calling shops til you find one that's willing.

If you are mechanically inclined it is possible to do it yourself. Look in tech tips for Head Gasket replacement thread.

WOTMODE
04-15-06, 10:04 PM
Where are you from tmorgan? Here in Minneapolis a bunch of us just went on strike and could use a nice side job like that.

I'm going to do my head gasket in my 95 STS this week. Last summer it start running hot, the harder I drove it, the hotter it got. Started using coolant without an external leak, now leaks out of the drivers side corner of the front head.

Is your using coolant? How many miles are on it?

cart69
04-18-06, 09:15 PM
only reason i swapped my engine instead of rebuild it was that i got a already rebuilt one for 450 bucks and i picked it up to cheap to pass up, but i plan to fix and insert my old motor for something else!! mine was pressurizing the colling system through the number 8 cylinder, no external leaks