: Gas MPG low? and electrical question

Deal426
01-18-04, 04:47 PM
it says its at 14.6 miles to the gallon. I heard cadillacs are supposed to get around 23. I have a 1990 sedan deville. how can I up this to get more miles to the gallon?
Also why every time I get out of the car I got shocked? also when I try to kiss my girl when shes in the car and I get out I get shocked?

Geno Castellano
01-19-04, 01:33 AM
it says its at 14.6 miles to the gallon. I heard cadillacs are supposed to get around 23. I have a 1990 sedan deville. how can I up this to get more miles to the gallon?
Also why every time I get out of the car I got shocked? also when I try to kiss my girl when shes in the car and I get out I get shocked?
Is that the average fuel economy readout on the dash? Have you reset it? The number displayed is the average fuel economy since the last time you reset it.

14.6 is not out of line if there's a lot of idling and city driving. 23 MPG is possible but only on long trips and highway type driving. Stop and go and lots of coldstarts kills the mileage on any car and 14.6 would not be out of line in this type of service.

Geno Castellano
01-19-04, 01:36 AM
That's just static electricity. It depends on what cloths, fabric you/she is wearing when you slid across the seat and what the car seats are made of. Static is much worse in the winter with the cold, dry air.:yup:

airbalancer
01-19-04, 07:59 AM
When the wife is driving in town in this freezing weather the avg was 13 gpm.
Took it out on Saturday set at 62 mph for 40mile drive temp was around 20 out. AVG 26 mpg. On the way back set to 70 mph and the mileage was 24 mpg. So if worry about mileage buy a small car. But the way I think the cost of insurance, maintence of running a second out way the mileage of the Caddy

AndyR
01-27-04, 02:49 PM
That's just static electricity. It depends on what cloths, fabric you/she is wearing when you slid across the seat and what the car seats are made of. Static is much worse in the winter with the cold, dry air.:yup:
Yep.
This may sound crazy, but I have heard that the brand and type of tires can make a difference in the amount of static buildup.

156MPH
01-27-04, 03:13 PM
When you get on a highway trip RESET IT I GET 25+ on highway.

Geno Castellano
01-27-04, 03:47 PM
Yep.
This may sound crazy, but I have heard that the brand and type of tires can make a difference in the amount of static buildup.
Very true. The typical "filler" in the tire material is carbon black that does a good job of eliminating static or just not producing it. Some of the more modern tires have a lot of silica added for improved rolling resistence and wear. Unfortunately, this tends to cause much more static generation.

Geno Castellano
01-27-04, 03:52 PM

P.S. This can be a big issue at self service gas stations when filling the tank. There are instances of static causing gas station fires during filling. The scenario seems to always involve inserting the nozzle into the tank and starting the fill with the nozzle locked on auto. Then the operator gets back into the car to stay warm/listen to the radio. When the nozzle clicks off the operator slides across the seat to get out and creates a static charge that discharges in the area of the nozzle and gas fumes.