: Wierd Headlight Problem

Jonilink
04-14-06, 02:44 PM
For some reason I've lost my lowbeam lights (the out side two) they won't turn on when I pull the light knob all the way out BUT when I switch to high beams All four light up.... :annoyed: so that means that they only work when I switch on high beams. Driving around blinding people is not cool especially in my small town :) Is there a fuse (hopefully) that I can replace I heard something about a circut behind the glove box but wasn't sure. oh my cadi is a
1980 Coupedeville.

The Ape Man
04-14-06, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a cooked hi-beam switch.

Jonilink
04-14-06, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a cooked hi-beam switch.

So does that mean that the switch itself going bad? Or is it the connection(s) going to the lights themselves?

N0DIH
04-14-06, 07:48 PM
Dumb question, are they burned out? I had all my taillights in my van do that, both together. Statistically impossible I am sure, but I lost all of them and my 4WD/TCC together (old 90 Aerostar), ended up a bulb filiment leaned on the other filiment (low side) and pulled the TCC/Brake line logic high, which told the 4WD controller to disable 4WD. Goofiest thing....

Else, yes, I would lean on the switch as the Ape suggested.

Jonilink
04-15-06, 04:45 AM
actually they are about 1 month old and all four lights work when I switch to high beams so I'm pretty sure the aren't blown out.

N0DIH
04-15-06, 10:22 AM
Age doesn't mean much. Honestly. Some of this stuff these days is such crappy quality it isn't even funny. If by chance there was a bad lot of bulbs this could happen (rare though, I typically by GE because of pretty solid quality). So of these funky lights are junk on quality. Sylvania, GE and Wagner are QS9000/TS-16949 (aka, TS2), so they have an expected level of quality in design and manufacture that GM/Ford/Chrysler trust. Between the big three, they wrote the book on quality standards for the world's automotive industry. The rest of the world's car companies accept those standards. They are tough!

There are 2 filaments in the low beam bulbs. They are different bulbs than the high beams. Did you notice the connector when you put them on? There was 3 connections on it, the high beam onlys have 2.

Did they ever work since they were installed? Did they both fail together?

Go back and double check the connections. Remove and reinstall the connectors. If you have a multimeter, check the power to the connector. You can also ohm out the bulbs too. I don't remember the pinout, but you should get 2 low readings and one higher (the sum of the 2). If you get an open, the bulb is bad.

I have seen people put the wrong bulb in the low beam position, but you would lose low beams from day 1.

The Ape Man
04-15-06, 10:37 AM
So does that mean that the switch itself going bad? Or is it the connection(s) going to the lights themselves?

Switch or connections at the switch. Looking at the rest of this thread reminded me of a few things. Look for a melted plug at the switch also.

caddieboy
04-15-06, 11:26 AM
Change the low beam bulbs. I think when you high beam the low beams turn on because another part of the bulb turns on.

Maybe you just burned both front lights by chance?

Cheap solution is to just replace them. $20 and 10 minutes and you'll know for sure. If the problem persists, you'll have spare lights for when they do burn out, but I thikn they already are.