Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Driver's Seat Lumbar Support Operation

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ludacrisvp 
G
#1 ·
Im not sure my lumbar adjustment is working.

At times I think I can feel something moving but at other times not so much.

Is the lumbar adjustment very noticeable when activated?

Does a single fuse control all the driver seat adjustments or is the lumbar a separate fuse?

#2 ·
Yes, it will increase the height of the middle part of the seat back depending on the adjustment. The lumbar area of your back. This is a know fail point. It consists of two worm gear drive motors in an assembly connected to cables which get tight and distort a metal plate. Sounds strange and it is when you see it removed. The worm gear or drive gear usually fail (plastic) and cannot be repaired. The whole assembly is about $130.00 on line from GM direct. The issue is replacement. Not that easy. Dealer usually want $500.00. If you can feel the motors running, the gears are likely stripped. I did mine, it was difficult in that you have to remove the seat and seat back leather cover to get it out. You can remove the seat back to see it by prying the bottom (or top, can't remember) of the cover and removing. One end of the cover has Velcro, the other has plastic fingers that fit in a hole.

#4 ·
As I mentioned, pull the seat back cover off and see if the motors are running. If so, then it is not a fuse. You might think about buying the assembly and just changing the motor and gearbox assembly. It could be tricky, (cannot remember exactly) but you don't have to remove the seat from the car. I would take the cover off and then decide what to do next. Just pry at the bottom or top, sorry I cannot remember. Use a plastic tool so you don't damage the leather.

#5 ·
It can all be replaced by just removing the back panel... however please note that this panel is brittle (mainly the clips) and the new panel isn't cheap (think $400 or so).
You will likely want to go a step further and replace the seat foam too though .. yes that will be more work but if you don't you may end up with a binding / skipping feeling during adjustment after replacement due to something with the back seat foam.
The seat foam is relatively cheap and its nice having a 'new' seat too.

----------

Also its pry at the bottom then pull downwards towards the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.