: Strange rattling

pimpjuice01
04-14-06, 02:15 PM
Strange rattling when idling whe in DRIVE, but gone when in neutral. Only thing is, is that when in drive the car idles at a lower RPM and I can hear it. I pointed it out on the passenger side of the engine where the belts are. I thought it was the powersteering, but its lower then that, possibly bearing onn a pulley going bad. Is it hard to replace anything running off the belts or has anyone had the same rattle? I hope you don't have to remove the engine to get at some of those parts

1993 eldorado green1
04-14-06, 02:51 PM
Strange rattling when idling whe in DRIVE, but gone when in neutral. Only thing is, is that when in drive the car idles at a lower RPM and I can hear it. I pointed it out on the passenger side of the engine where the belts are. I thought it was the powersteering, but its lower then that, possibly bearing onn a pulley going bad. Is it hard to replace anything running off the belts or has anyone had the same rattle? I hope you don't have to remove the engine to get at some of those parts

everything is replacable with the engine in the car. i would take off the belt, all the way out of the car then start the engine and see if the noise is still present, that way u can elminate other possibilities as to what the noise is.

it most likely is the a/c compressor, pretty common for these to make a rattle noise. it could also be the belt tensioner or idlier pulley.

pull the belt off and see if the noise goes away then repost with your findings...

pimpjuice01
04-14-06, 03:31 PM
Yeah its kinda depressing having that sound, it sounds like its off a pulley forsure. When I listen underneath the car it sounds louder, so its safe to let it run for a little bit with the belt off? My a/c is empty anyways, hopefully its something kinda easy to fix..... I'll pull off the belt and repost

1993 eldorado green1
04-14-06, 06:11 PM
Yeah its kinda depressing having that sound, it sounds like its off a pulley forsure. When I listen underneath the car it sounds louder, so its safe to let it run for a little bit with the belt off? My a/c is empty anyways, hopefully its something kinda easy to fix..... I'll pull off the belt and repost

i would only run it to determin if the noise is still present or not. your battery will not be charging while the belt is off..

El Dobro
04-14-06, 06:42 PM
With the belt off, turn the pulleys by hand to see if any are loose or noisy. Also check the belt tensioner to see if the spring is still good and hard to move by hand.

chevyorange
04-20-06, 02:58 AM
I'm going to pipe in with a rattling problem that drove me crazy for a year. It was the starter pinion sliding down and engaging the flexplate every once in awhile... I had CV joints replaced, all kinds of stuff.

Just file that in the back of your head. I doubt it is your problem but you never know.

Adam

lry99eldo
04-20-06, 06:03 AM
Motor Mount
lry99eldo

Rob_M
04-20-06, 03:52 PM
I had that. My friend listened with one of his breaker bars to his ear lobe and determined that one of my pulleys had a bearing that was starting to seize up. I got the new pulley and it was gone.

pimpjuice01
04-21-06, 10:27 AM
I still haven't had time to remove the belt, but the rattling is embarassing. You only hear it at a certain RPM, but I'm pretty sure its a pulley or something working off the belt. Some guy was like "thats a Cadillac and making a noise like that!". ITs pretty loud sometimes and idle at red lights and stuff