Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trunk lid filled with water...

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CMNTMXR57 
#1 ·
Monsoon season arrived in Detroit this weekend and my trunk LID is filled with water (not my trunk). I can only assume the water is entering through either the center brake light or reverse light area but that is just a guess. Anyone else experience this issue and know where it entered and the fix? This is a good amount of water perhaps 6-12 oz. sloshing around in the lid.

#3 ·
For the base STS this common issue has been typically due to the foam seals around the reverse lamps and / or the license plate mounting points. Occasionally this is due to the CHSML (3rd brake lamp) as the V series spoiler has the light pass through it I suppose that may increase the chances that the brake lamp or spoiler is at fault.

But I'd start with the easy ones being the backup lamps and license plate mounts.

#6 ·
Hmm. I opened up the area last night and looked around. The CHSML is loose on one end but there are no broken tabs or anything. I could not find anything out of the ordinary. Pulled the drain plugs and will let it bake in the sun until dry. Perhaps it is the TSB. Thanks.

#7 ·
The drivers side of my third brake light pops out (have yet to glue it back into place), so look for that as mentioned, otherwise, the back-up lights.

I don't recall if there are little rubber bump stops on the bottom of the lid (where it would meet the rear bumper cover), but if it does, sometimes removing them will allow the water to drain. Once done you can put them back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.