: No Sound at All

TampaV
04-13-06, 08:32 PM
Well, here's a new one. I hadn't had the stereo on at all since I picked up my car from the dealer for a diff replacement. I was more interested in the sounds coming from the rear than the stereo. I think it was working when I picked up the car yesterday, because I remember turning it down so I could listen for the diff.

So, tonight on the way home I went to turn it up and there is no sound at all. I thought that was strange, so I went from XM to CD and then to FM. Nothing... I then tried Nav. No pretty voice telling me to "proceed to the highlighted route". I figured I would check the audio fuse under the rear seat. That was fun... Whoever thought to put the fuse blocks there should be shot. Fuse was fine.

For some reason, it seems like the amp just isn't turning on. Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen? Back to the dealer I go...

tedcmiller
04-14-06, 10:45 AM
There is a possibility that the audio amplifier is OK, but the output is being muted by OnStar. Have you checked to see if any of the OnStar services such as the cell phone or the memo function are active? The Voice Command mode, supposedly unavailable on the CTS V, can also mute the output from the navigation system.

TampaV
04-14-06, 06:39 PM
I took the car back to the dealer this morning. They confirmed that the fuse was fine, and there was power going to the amp, but nothing coming out of the amp. So, they have orderd a new amp and will call me next week to install it. They said this wasn't the first one they have had to replace. I'll update if it's a simple replacement of a bad amp or something more.

unc-v
04-15-06, 01:39 AM
Had this same problem with mine. Mine was a exec car and when we were in the process of buying it, the dealer at first thought that the battery was dead. Finally figured out that it was the amp. They replaced it under warranty, but couldn't say why it didn't work anymore. The new amp has been working now for about a year and a half, so you won't have to worry about it going out on you again.:)