: car shuts down when I switch to reverse. Whats causing this?

durrk
04-13-06, 07:26 PM
Usually when I start my car in the begining of the day it idles high for a little while until I press the gas and it drops to normal...

Well, I noticed today it didnt idle high like normal and I drove it around for a little bit and parked back at my house...

Decided to use it again later that day and when I started the car it sounded really quiet and weak, like it was going to shut off. So, I gave it some gas and let it run for a little longer and then put it in reverse to pull out.

It quiets down and shuts off,

I start it, and give it some gas and wait a minute and then put it in reverse again and it shuts off...

This happens again 4 more times and then it shut off again, my brakes locked and I rolled into a curb...

Finally I get to pull out and the car accelerated funny at first and then drove normal...

Can anyone tell me what caused this?

Opinions/Advice are very much appreciated...

N0DIH
04-14-06, 10:57 AM
This is exactly how it is designed. It goes on to the highest step of the high idle cam when choke is first set. Once you press some pressure on the pedal, the primary vacuum break should (if it is good) should have pulled the choke open slightly and it then will pull off of the highest high idle step.

Usually when I start my car in the begining of the day it idles high for a little while until I press the gas and it drops to normal...

Can you rev it up and does it? Almost sounds like the choke stayed open on cold start. It will close most of the way still on a warm day but cold start.

Ensure that the heater hose that is from the firewall to the water pump is properly attached to the choke housing. This is important to proper choke operation (but not necessarily your problem, but it can cause warm restart issues)

Well, I noticed today it didnt idle high like normal and I drove it around for a little bit and parked back at my house...

Decided to use it again later that day and when I started the car it sounded really quiet and weak, like it was going to shut off. So, I gave it some gas and let it run for a little longer and then put it in reverse to pull out.

It quiets down and shuts off,

I start it, and give it some gas and wait a minute and then put it in reverse again and it shuts off...

This happens again 4 more times and then it shut off again, my brakes locked and I rolled into a curb...

Finally I get to pull out and the car accelerated funny at first and then drove normal...

Can anyone tell me what caused this?

Opinions/Advice are very much appreciated...

durrk
04-14-06, 12:09 PM
hey thanks for the reply nodih.

Yep, I was reving it up after the second time it shut off... and it still shut off a few times after that when put into reverse...

I was driving it today and it wasnt having this problem, but it could happen again... Im still not really sure what caused it.

N0DIH
04-14-06, 12:15 PM
Does it stay running in drive? Or just reverse?

It almost sounds like the TCC solenoid is bad. But that would do it identically in D and R. And it would be like you dropped the clutch in a stick in a gear without giving it gas.

Is it driving ok with no check engine light? All power and economy the same?

Can you notice when you do drive it, does the TCC lockup and upload properly at the right speeds?