: 2005 CTS-V with 14K miles needs engine replacement

loccig
04-13-06, 03:38 PM
Purchased a Black 2005 CTS-V in June '04. Had some problems with tire pressure sensor and was leaking coolant, requiring a radiator replacement after about 5K miles. Same problem as everyone else with OEM tires, replaced after 12K miles. Out of nowhere, engine light comes on, starts to sputter, with a loud clanking noise. Pulled off the road and engine wouldn't start. After 2 weeks at the dealer, am told a valve blew through a cylinder and will need an engine replacement.

Anyone else hear about a similar problem? New engine covered under 4 year/50K mile warranty, but don't get a fresh start with warranty. In other words if it happens again in 2 years, my 4 years are up and I'm out of luck. Did i get a lemon? Should I fight the warranty issue out with GM?

urbanski
04-13-06, 03:43 PM
hmmm
yep, somebody else had this happen, cant recall who. i'm sure somebody else will post.

nikon
04-13-06, 04:00 PM
were you flogging the hell out of it???? or did you drive it like a normal car??? I have heard of these things happening, I know there were similiar problems with the tahoe's suburbans people kept complaining that even though it worked now if it happened once whos to say it wont happen again?? long story short GM gave them a free 5yr 100k warranty at whatever mileage they were at and 5yrs from the day the engine was replaced....who know's you might get lucky.

urbanski
04-13-06, 04:02 PM
i have yet to search for the thread, but some members here have called caddy customer service after their diff replacement and got a 6/100 warranty on it.
i'm sure if you asked them nicely they could extend the engine warr.

VELOSE
04-13-06, 04:09 PM
I think there's been two occasions where CTS-V owners had their motor blow for that same reason. I know Heavymetals decided to upgrade his valve springs for this same reason. Now I'm getting worried.:(

TampaV
04-13-06, 04:37 PM
I think there's been two occasions where CTS-V owners had their motor blow for that same reason. I know Heavymetals decided to upgrade his valve springs for this same reason. Now I'm getting worried.:(

Relax. How many Z06 and CTS-V's have been built with an LS6 since the Z06 model year 2002 started production? You've heard of two CTS-V's that had a problem and you're getting worried... There are bigger things to worry about, like rear ends. Now, there's something to worry about. I just had an '06 diff put in my '05. Hope it stays quiet.

dannystang
04-13-06, 04:53 PM
Relax. How many Z06 and CTS-V's have been built with an LS6 since the Z06 model year 2002 started production? You've heard of two CTS-V's that had a problem and you're getting worried... There are bigger things to worry about, like rear ends. Now, there's something to worry about. I just had an '06 diff put in my '05. Hope it stays quiet.

Did those people NOS the engine?

Blowing a ls6 is pretty damn near hard no?

Like having your car stolen in beverly hills.

Luna.
04-13-06, 04:56 PM

I am forced to agree with this sentiment. I just can't accept the notion that this is even a remotely common thing. :)

TampaV
04-13-06, 05:00 PM
It sure can happen. Especially with forced induction or NOS. I'm just saying the engine is pretty reliable considering the number of problems vs. the number of engines built.

Luna.
04-13-06, 05:07 PM
It sure can happen. Especially with forced induction or NOS. I'm just saying the engine is pretty reliable considering the number of problems vs. the number of engines built.

Absolutely agree. It can happen regardless of mods or not. Of course mods must increase such risk, but, if reasonable precautions are taken, I believe that the risk can be reduced to an acceptable level. :)

NOCTS-V
04-13-06, 05:14 PM
Dropping a value under normal acceleration or cuise speed is not "normal" but it is also not rear in LS6 engines. Cruise the Z06 forum and you will find the same problem. Out of the 10s of thousands LS6s sold a very small number have dropped valves. The problem of losing a engine at low milage makes news.

VELOSE
04-13-06, 05:30 PM
No TampaV, you've got me all wrong. I'm worried that if mine blows, I'm going to replace it with a stroker.:lildevil:

heavymetals
04-13-06, 05:33 PM
Here is some info:

This is not the first report of LS6 motors breaking valve springs and lunching the motor.

It has happened to a few owners of C5-Z06's also.

They were not "racing " either, at least that is what they say.

Before everyone freaks out (like I did) and replaces the valve springs, consider this:

1. Have you modded the motor (maggie or tune ) or the car to the point where your warranty may not cover a gernade event?

2. The last time anything like this happened to GM it took about 5 years for them to step up to the plate.

3. Do you feel lucky?

The rule of thumb I have discovered is that replacing the stock springs is very CHEAP INSURANCE on a modified motor.
In a cammed motor is a "must do" (no flame please).

In my case, being a mod-junkie and having the equipment to do the job (it is not that hard really!) it is duck soup.
I am in the process of doing my Z06 also ( minus the valve job.:thepan: ).

VELOSE
04-13-06, 05:43 PM
Maybe that visit to A&A next month will require for some new valve springs. :hmm:

ace996
04-13-06, 07:04 PM
There are bigger things to worry about, like rear ends. Now, there's something to worry about. I just had an '06 diff put in my '05. Hope it stays quiet.
There is no reason to worry about the diffs, just accept that they are temporary. The '06 diffs are not the answer. They are already going...singing/clunking/leaking. Perhaps a good diff will last 10K miles...my '06 diff is on it's way out at 3K miles. Or perhaps it'll last until the warrantee ends...that would be fun, wouldn't it?

Good luck,
ace