: New diff break in.

nikon
04-13-06, 01:59 PM
Did'nt wanna thread jack the other break in post, but this is for those that have had multiple diff's replaced for whine....I just hit the 500mile mark on my new one and even though for the most part I took it really easy there were one or two time I kinda forgot when someone cut me off or something that I really opened er' up, like at a dead stop, then wide open till the end of 3rd...now will doing this twice really screw things up?? I only ask because I think the whine is already back at ~550 miles...very faint I mean I could be hearing things because I was so used to it...but how did you guys break in your new diffs????? and how long till they started whining again?? and one more question I told my dealer to add the limited slip additive, but they said it wasnt necessary because the diff came factory sealed, is any of this true?? Because now on slow tight corners it seems to wanna lock up the rear end, when it never did before on the 05' whining diff.

TampaV
04-13-06, 03:28 PM
one more question I told my dealer to add the limited slip additive, but they said it wasnt necessary because the diff came factory sealed, is any of this true?? Because now on slow tight corners it seems to wanna lock up the rear end, when it never did before on the 05' whining diff.

Interesting questions, Nikon. I too just had my diff replaced yesterday in my '05. Here is what was listed on my work order for parts:

Carrier Assembly - Part #15793756 (That's the '06 diff #)
Lubricant - Part #89021677

So, I think they added gear oil to mine. I think I'll call them back and ask about Limited Slip Additive to see what they say.

Davidstan
04-13-06, 03:47 PM
Are the 06 diffs working out for those of you with earlier problems?

nikon
04-13-06, 06:05 PM
Interesting questions, Nikon. I too just had my diff replaced yesterday in my '05. Here is what was listed on my work order for parts:

Carrier Assembly - Part #15793756 (That's the '06 diff #)
Lubricant - Part #89021677

So, I think they added rear oil to mine. I think I'll call them back and ask about Limited Slip Additive to see what they say.

well, I did'nt even get a work order reciept, they had screwed so many other things up I just grabbed my keys and left...So I dunno, maybee james knows???

ace996
04-13-06, 06:12 PM
Are the 06 diffs working out for those of you with earlier problems?

Man, your not gonna like the answers to that question...

They are time-bombs...not "if"...but "when".

Change the fluid to synthetic Royal Purple or Redline with a bottle of limited slip additive.

Oh...and my dealer didn't add the fluid either. Let's just say that the '06 diff with 3K miles on my car now sings like a siren, and groans/creaks around turns.

THE ADDITIVE IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY - THE TECHS HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THEIR AZZES.
-ace

nikon
04-13-06, 06:39 PM
Man, your not gonna like the answers to that question...

They are time-bombs...not "if"...but "when".

Change the fluid to synthetic Royal Purple or Redline with a bottle of limited slip additive.

Oh...and my dealer didn't add the fluid either. Let's just say that the '06 diff with 3K miles on my car now sings like a siren, and groans/creaks around turns.

THE ADDITIVE IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY - THE TECHS HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THEIR AZZES.
-ace

I thought so, It always has been...oh well the damage is already done to this one...Ill let it go and have my new dealer do it correctly...thanks for the heads up...and so im guessing they lied again about it coming sealed form GM, I myself have never heard of that....ugh.

ace996
04-13-06, 07:29 PM
I thought so, It always has been...oh well the damage is already done to this one...Ill let it go and have my new dealer do it correctly...thanks for the heads up...and so im guessing they lied again about it coming sealed form GM, I myself have never heard of that....ugh.

Sealed? Uh..sealed dry. The factory fill on built cars has the additive but not replacement units.

Sounds like another dealer-service dept that just can't help themselves from lying. I don't understand why they feel the need to just make-up sh*it when they don't know...it's disturbing. Unless they're just covering up their mistakes with lies...another strong possibility.

Just change the fluid, add the juice and drive it. Don't worry, nothing's gonna keep these alive forever...or 36K miles. Just the nature of the beast; Pintos blew up, our diffs do. :thepan:

nikon
04-13-06, 07:46 PM
alrighty then...by any chance would you know the capacity off the diff?? and where do I get the royal purple?? what kind?

CVP33
04-13-06, 09:26 PM
alrighty then...by any chance would you know the capacity off the diff?? and where do I get the royal purple?? what kind?

Check the FAQ's to confirm but as I recall, I bought two quarts of Mobil One 75w-90 gear lube and used just over 1.5. Again, confirm this on the FAQ's.

nikon
04-13-06, 11:00 PM
Check the FAQ's to confirm but as I recall, I bought two quarts of Mobil One 75w-90 gear lube and used just over 1.5. Again, confirm this on the FAQ's.

I shouldda known better. Thankyou.

StealthV
04-13-06, 11:54 PM
Here's the break-in procedure Moser Engineering recommended for the 12-bolt I bought years ago. Moser whine makes V's seem tame; then again, the Moser is bullet proof.

A new ring and pinon installed with new bearings will initially generate higher than normal operating temperatures.

1) With car still on jack stands and rear end filled with proper amount of non-synthetic lube, run in forward and reverse for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Do not exceed 2000 rpm.

2) Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speed. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool for one hour.

Flyboy
04-14-06, 12:47 PM
I have the '06 differential and drained the "factory" oil @ 500 miles. I then installed the "Severe Duty" Amsoil diff fluid. It has all the additives already in it. Has anybody tried this product yet?

(For me....so far so good)......

nikon
04-14-06, 12:51 PM
I have the '06 differential and drained the "factory" oil @ 500 miles. I then installed the "Severe Duty" Amsoil diff fluid. It has all the additives already in it. Has anybody tried this product yet?

(For me....so far so good)......

never heard of it, but one question, what mods do you have to hit your 1/4 mile time??

Flyboy
04-19-06, 07:47 AM
Katech Cam, Katech headers, no cats (off road only, of course), Corsa exhaust, Nitto drag radials, GTO flywheel/clutch, Lingenfelter CAI, 160 degree thermostat, UUC shifter.

alcast082
04-19-06, 11:13 AM
Not to thread jack,
I just had the 06 put on, The clunk was completly gone for the first 40 miles.
not kidding only 40 miles, now it is back very very slight. I'm guessing i'm going to have the same problems with this diff.
Very strong and sturdy feeling for the first few miles and then it loosens up, whats up with that?????

dannystang
04-19-06, 03:18 PM
kinda like a women...

street
04-19-06, 03:51 PM
i had a new diff put on mine about 2 weeks ago and know i have a clanking noise from the rear. they also replaced the drive shaft. i'm wondering if it's that. anyway the first rear lasted 30,000 miles, imagine that.