: Dynomax - Long life?

ELDOminator
04-13-06, 12:39 PM
I've read a lot of posts about the Dynomax Super Turbos, they sound great! I really would love to get them installed on my ETC. But they're only steel... How long do they last? Do they rust? Says they're "alluminized," but to me, that means nothing. If it's not stainless, I can't be sure that they'll last, and should I bother?
Thanks in advance.

eldorado1
04-13-06, 12:52 PM
Of course they rust! I have some off brand super turbo's on right now. Have had them for 2 years now. They don't have any rust, but my exhaust piping is rusting apart now. So I'd say you'd get a good 6+ years out of them, but your tubing might rust apart before then. If you drive in the salt, your mileage may vary.

ELDOminator
04-13-06, 12:59 PM
Well of course I'd expect anything on the car to rust somewhat. Will stainless weld with non-stainless? If so, I could get them to just use new stainless steel pipes through the new Dynomax.

I guess what I'm REALLY after is... Is it all worth the trouble? Do they really turn heads and sound as great as it seems? I mean, $50 mufflers aren't exactly... expensive, so I wouldn't mind pitchin' in some cash for a better head-turner. :thumbsup:

auroradude
04-13-06, 02:22 PM
I paid $350 to have my super turbos installed and let me tell you they sound excellent. Muscle car like sound and it turns heads too. If you have more money id suggest Magnaflow mufflers, but I didnt feel like psneind that much at the time.

eldorado1
04-13-06, 03:40 PM
You can weld stainless to aluminized, but it's not going to make for as strong a joint as stainless to stainless or steel to steel. I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure you could find a shop that will do it though.

I mean, $50 mufflers aren't exactly... expensive, so I wouldn't mind pitchin' in some cash for a better head-turner. :thumbsup:

I think $50 mufflers are expensive... all you get is some bent sheetmetal, maybe some fiberglass filler depending on the type/brand. Sound is very subjective. I'd bet if you compared equal cars back to back, with cheap and expensive mufflers, that they wouldn't be able to tell which is which.

There are good sounding mufflers from both categories.

auroradude
04-13-06, 07:03 PM
You guys think $50 is expensive? wow. thats not even a tank of gas if you use premium. Some people even go on to spending $1000 (which in my opinion is retarded) on a corsa exhaut.

eldorado1
04-13-06, 07:06 PM
You guys think $50 is expensive?

For what you get, yeah. It's bent sheet metal. It's like those Tornado's they make out of $2 worth of stainless sheet metal, and then sell for $50.

(Yes, I realize there's labor, overhead, etc... I'm just saying I'd never spend more than about $80 on any muffer.)

auroradude
04-13-06, 11:52 PM
Oh i gotcha..lol. guess i shouldnt really bee drinking and post at time. but i think they must do something differently, to get it to rumble like that :) If its just bent metal why dont factory mufflers do the same thing

eldorado1
04-14-06, 12:02 AM
because GM wants their caddy mufflers to actually muffle. :alchi:

Different internal designs go into them, but at the end of the day they're still just bent and/or welded sheet metal. Having one cost $300 and another cost $50 makes no sense to me.

ELDOminator
04-14-06, 12:59 PM
So all in all, would you recommend these mufflers dispite of the life? I will hopefully find a place to store my old stock mufflers just incase I need to put them back on...

Aurora40
04-18-06, 10:41 PM
For what you get, yeah. It's bent sheet metal. It's like those Tornado's they make out of $2 worth of stainless sheet metal, and then sell for $50.

(Yes, I realize there's labor, overhead, etc... I'm just saying I'd never spend more than about $80 on any muffer.)
Would it be valid to say your just drilling two holes and charging $240 for it? ;)

Mufflers come with all different designs, different thicknesses of materials, different types of materials, etc. Even things like the fiberglass packing can be more or less of it and different materials for that. I'm sure the machinery required to work with 304 stainless is different than you can get away with for 409 stainless or for regular steel. It's cool if you wouldn't pay more than $80, but I wouldn't say that makes them all the same.