: Getting an MP3 player in the V?

mdc
04-13-06, 08:48 AM
So the dealer calls me and tells me that the V will be arriving in 10 more days and the excitment is starting

My one problem is that as nice as the 6 CD changer is, 99% of the music I listen to now is on CDs in MP3 format. I also like to record Howard Stern every morning and listen on my way to work (I own a restaurant and the show is over by the time I am driving into work so it works perfectly). Putting the show in MP3 format on a CD has worked well for me and I can't decide what I am going to do once the V arrives

Has anyone switched out the head unit for a MP3 capable one? Any pics? I don't want to destroy the look of my interior either with a head unit that looks completely out of place.

Also, is there anyone here in the Toronto area that can recommend a good car audio guy that I can trust to do a proper installation?

nikon
04-13-06, 09:56 AM
Get an ipod then buy the ipod interface from radiosandmore.com you can do the install your self with these instructions. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/index.html

and you know the car has navigation, right??? you would really replace that?

atdeneve
04-13-06, 10:13 AM
The only gripe I would have about that option is that (though, through no fault of the kit itself), since the XM module in our car is so poor - at least, according to some other posts I've seen - the sound quality of the mp3s routed through that module is rather poor also. I think some people mentioned switching the XM module out - an option I think I'm gonna have to look at some time down the road.

nikon
04-13-06, 10:20 AM
The only gripe I would have about that option is that (though, through no fault of the kit itself), since the XM module in our car is so poor - at least, according to some other posts I've seen - the sound quality of the mp3s routed through that module is rather poor also. I think some people mentioned switching the XM module out - an option I think I'm gonna have to look at some time down the road.

not true. It's the XM reciever that has poor quality, and honestly XM has never had super high quality music...but the Ipod comes through with cd quality, trust me I love mine and would'nt hesitate to do it again.

atdeneve
04-13-06, 10:56 AM
Okay, the XM receiver. Sorry.
In any case, am I incorrect, then, in assuming that the XM receiver is what is making my music on my iPod sound like crap. Because, I can certainly tell a difference from when I play cds or even from the damn lowly FM radio. And when it comes to DVD movies, which sound wonderful (especially in 5.1), it is night and day.
I mean, it is really bad. There is no audiofidelity whatsoever. Bass is overpumped and I get no mids. Try and turn up the volume to actually hear the music/lyrics and all I get is bass/noise/thumping. Am I the lone case here?

nikon
04-13-06, 11:25 AM
Okay, the XM receiver. Sorry.
In any case, am I incorrect, then, in assuming that the XM receiver is what is making my music on my iPod sound like crap. Because, I can certainly tell a difference from when I play cds or even from the damn lowly FM radio. And when it comes to DVD movies, which sound wonderful (especially in 5.1), it is night and day.
I mean, it is really bad. There is no audiofidelity whatsoever. Bass is overpumped and I get no mids. Try and turn up the volume to actually hear the music/lyrics and all I get is bass/noise/thumping. Am I the lone case here?

ok, do you have an ipod with the radiosandmore.com kit?? if so and it sounds bad, try going into settings on the ipod then equalizer and setting it too off, or normal...if you dont have the ipod kit it sounds completely different than the XM....and no your not alone, my XM sounds like ass too all it's good for is the comedy stations on road trips (the only reason I have it) If you get the proper kit you wont be dissapointed with the sound coming from the Ipod at all, trust me. Search it and see all the great reviews it got.

mdc
04-13-06, 01:20 PM
I don't have an IPod, but would get one on one condition

The show is 5 hours long and with another MP3 player that I have, it wouldn't save the spot where I stopped the broadcast ... there is no way I am going to want to fast forward 2 hours to get where I left off ...

Any idea on if the IPod holds it's place?

nikon
04-13-06, 02:02 PM
yes it holds place, BUT, you cant fast forward when it's hooked up to your car. You'd have to disconnect it, get it to the part you want, then plug it back....simply because the module from radiosandmore basically takes over and doesnt let the buttons do anything when plugged in.

mdc
04-13-06, 03:34 PM
how does it look with the final installation? Do you have pics?

Silver Baron
04-13-06, 04:57 PM
mdc
Get the Sirius S50 (http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1130363753674)player and you can record 50h of anthing. :highfive:

nikon
04-13-06, 06:02 PM
how does it look with the final installation? Do you have pics?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...kit/index.html (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/index.html)

the module is hidden behind the radio. And you run the wire for the Ipod anywhere you want. Most people run it to the center console, which is what I did and secure the ipod to the arm rest via the little holder thingy that comes with it.

mdc
04-13-06, 06:59 PM
mdc
Get the Sirius S50 (http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1130363753674)player and you can record 50h of anthing. :highfive:

that is what I have ... the problem with running the show off of the S50 is that every time you shut the car off, the recording starts at the beginning again ... to find your spot in the show takes 10 minutes ... and using a remote, shifting gears and steering the car does not sound like a pleasant experience ;)