: "R" light came on and stayed on...

anim8orCTSV
04-13-06, 01:50 AM
The other day I noticed that my "R" light came on when I took the trans out of reverse. It stayed on as I shifted up to 3rd. I had to pull over and put it back into reverse and into neutral again to get the light to turn off.

Has anyone else seen this? Just a fluke?

-anim8orCTSV

Lindsay Cadillac
04-13-06, 05:34 AM
We've had one other car do that... The reverse switch mounted on the transmission was bad and needed to be replaced...

urbanski
04-13-06, 06:11 AM
did you install a !cags lately

nharris
04-13-06, 07:22 AM
This has happened with my '04 twice. Went off after shutting off the engine and restarting it. I have not mentioned it to the dealer.

CIWS
04-13-06, 07:43 AM
I wonder if you could have fun with the Onstar folks with that. Call them up while the R light is on and ask them to run a diagnostic because you didn't think the car should be able to do 70mph in reverse down the highway... :D ;)

rand49er
04-13-06, 08:51 AM
It's happened to me twice, too. Stopped at the next light, shifted around a bit, and it went away. Both times it occurred, I had shifted rather quickly in a parking lot/gas station situation while positioning the car within a congested area, hence, did so in haste. All is well, though. :)

nikon
04-13-06, 09:51 AM
I wonder if you could have fun with the Onstar folks with that. Call them up while the R light is on and ask them to run a diagnostic because you didn't think the car should be able to do 70mph in reverse down the highway... :D ;)

:histeric:

benjet
04-13-06, 02:57 PM
I resemble that remark ;)

Florian
04-13-06, 04:45 PM
Just a sticky sensor....no worries.

F

Art138
04-13-06, 07:53 PM
I had that happen once; upon inspection of the sensor which abutts to the shifter notch noticed some corrosive; almost like what you find on cars up North. I used WD-40(soaked the solenoid button) and have not had any problems. My car was built Febuary 05 and they must have parked these at the plant lot right after a di-icing truck drop. I had salt residue everywhere! try the WD-40 see if it works.

anim8orCTSV
04-13-06, 11:28 PM

Way too funny. I just might try that.

Today I noticed that this time the right mirror had stayed pointed down after I shifted into a forward gear. The "R" light did not come on but the Mirror did not come back after shifting out of reverse.

For any one wondering I have not done anything to this car and it only has 740 miles on it. Is this typical? I have heard that the "V" is known for its electrical and computer problems.

Am I in for some major problems if I am seeing this now? What should I do since I have less than a thousand miles on it.

-Paul

StealthV
04-13-06, 11:45 PM
As Florian mentioned, it's probably just a sticky reverse gear sensor. Tell the dealer and have it fixed. That's why it has a warranty.

It's an extremely minor issue; definitely not anything to lose sleep over.

trekster
04-14-06, 12:10 AM
That happened to me once about a year ago.

ewill3rd
04-14-06, 06:04 AM
If the R light is on, the backup lights are on too.
When our customer came in, it stopped doing it as soon as I got in his car! DOH!
Anyway, I replaced the backup light switch. It mounts on the right side of the trans, you can't miss it. It has two bright orange wires coming out of it.