: Making ride more stiff.

arr0gant
04-12-06, 11:00 AM
My ride seems to be bouncy. I would like a more stiff ride, more racey/sporty.

Granted, I do have snow tires on right now. Can anyone make suggestions on wht I can do? What can I do to the springs and dampers. What about lowering the car a bit? How about tire-pressure?

Thanks kids.
Arr0gant

Luna.
04-12-06, 01:12 PM
Funny, I'm embarking on the same mission...

I'm adding suspension parts & changing tires to make my car much more stiff. Hotchkiss bars are in, Falkens will be installed tomorrow and FG2 shocks are going in soon.

Between those 3, I'm hoping for one hell of a "tight" ride. :)

arr0gant
04-12-06, 01:15 PM
Funny, I'm embarking on the same mission...

I'm adding suspension parts & changing tires to make my car much more stiff. Hotchkiss bars are in, Falkens will be installed tomorrow and FG2 shocks are going in soon.

Between those 3, I'm hoping for one hell of a "tight" ride. :)

SOunds awsum. Will this lower the car? How much $$$?

Luna.
04-12-06, 01:19 PM
I haven't yet considered lowering the car. I suppose I wanted to see what these changes will do first before moving forward.

As far as cost, the Hotchkis bars run about $300 (not including installation costs). The Falken tires are nicely priced at about $160 per (not including shipping from FL though, but that isn't too much). The FG2s are the most expensive mod by far, priced at ~$1,200 for all 4, not including the price to install. Further, I believe you have to get the tires aligned afterwards.

I'm hoping, however, that this will firm the ride up big time. We shall see. :)

street
04-12-06, 05:12 PM
i have a pair of eibach for sale. they will lower the car 1.6 in front and 1.2 in back. i had them on mine and i'm have to use the car to travel 180 niles a day and it's too stiff for my old back. i'll stick to the origional hard ride. anyway the handling feels a hole lot better.

VELOSE
04-12-06, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing Luna. However, the FG2 shocks sound pricey. I wonder if I should just go all out and get the Mallet suspension instead.:hmm:

Luna.
04-12-06, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing Luna. However, the FG2 shocks sound pricey. I wonder if I should just go all out and get the Mallet suspension instead.:hmm:

I haven't priced that yet---what's the ballpark figure for that?

Dreamin
04-12-06, 05:39 PM
Mallett-Penske non-adjustable struts/shocks (full car set): $2,314

Mallett-Penske double-adjustable struts/shocks (full car set): $3,250

Coil-over upgrade for vehicles equipped with Mallett-Penske shocks: $1,575 (in addition to shocks)

I *think* with the double-adjustables you need new front A-arms: ~$600

VELOSE
04-12-06, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking of going with non-adjustable struts/shocks and coil-over upgrade for a total of $3889. However, that's the listed price. I'm pretty sure you can get it a little cheaper than that. Get a performance alignment, sticky tires, and it's time to hit the track some more.

Dreamin
04-12-06, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get it a little cheaper than that.

Chuck dont discount... not even a dolla'...

calicadi
04-12-06, 09:20 PM
I've found the FG2's and Hotchkis anti-roll bars with Bridgestone runflats plenty stiff. Switching to my Goodrich T/A KD's is neutral to ride quality as the lower profile 40's are about as stiff as 45 profile runflats. Not the most competative set up but still a good all-around ride for city, highway and gettin' it on!

Luna.
04-12-06, 09:28 PM
Mallett-Penske non-adjustable struts/shocks (full car set): $2,314

Interesting--that isn't going to be too much more than I would spend with my current (anticipated) set up.

wildwhl
04-13-06, 12:25 AM
Does Mallett sale this setup shipped - or do they have to install?

WW

VELOSE
04-13-06, 12:52 AM
When I called Chuck and spoke with him, I was inquiring about the .750" drop on stock suspension. It specifically says on the site it needs to be installed at their facility. However, he was offering to ship it to me and have it installed locally. So my guess is, yes he can ship it.

Dreamin
04-13-06, 02:40 PM
Does Mallett sale this setup shipped - or do they have to install?

WW

They've always shipped their shocks, coil-over kits, A-arms, etc.

The "Lowering Kit" wasn't shippable because the install is supposedly very difficult... so Velcose's info is new news.

And the Mallett non-adjustables are a hair *softer* than the FG2... i think Ace posted this after talking to them.