: Clicking noise from the rear

silentkiller19
04-12-06, 10:59 AM
I own a 98 catera and recently it started to make a clicking noise from the rear of the car while i am driving. It does it at both low and high speeds. I have checked the tires for rocks and the car has been looked at by my mechanic and i can find nothing wrong but that noise is killing me. Any ideas?:confused:

guardian
04-12-06, 07:59 PM
I own a 98 catera and recently it started to make a clicking noise from the rear of the car while i am driving. It does it at both low and high speeds. I have checked the tires for rocks and the car has been looked at by my mechanic and i can find nothing wrong but that noise is killing me. Any ideas?:confused:

I can't tell you what is making the noise. Can only tell you what I would do:

First it is good you have no problem making the noise appear. You need a helper, another person who can move about in the car while you drive. Your helper's objective will be, to the extent possible, to localize the clicking.

Check with windows open and again with windows closed. Check, listen, from all available seat locations.

If you can enlist help from a smart but small child, have the child ride in the trunk and listen. Have the child move about in the trunk in an effort to localize the noise.

Any progress you can make pinning down the point of origin will be of benefit to you. Attempting this from the driver's seat alone, and while piloting the car, makes the task all but IMPOSSIBLE to complete successfully.

Good luck! :) (more)

Really, if I were doing this I would do more than just the above. If the clicking happens at really low speeds I would prop or tie the rear doors open, one at a time, and have somebody hang their head out of the door and listen. I am speaking here of speeds south of say, five mph, perhaps in a large, empty, paved, quiet parking lot on a Sunday.

Bottom line I would do anything I could think of to nail down the source of the clicking. You ain't gonna do it from the driver's seat. IMHO, of course.