: Door Pillar lights

walk3rb0h
04-11-06, 09:28 PM
On the exterior pillars between the doors on my 88 Brougham are 2 clear strips that look to be lights.. I know this is a common placement for lights on many luxury sedans and Im wondering if these are supposed to light up.. I bought a service manual for my car and im finding no reference to there strips anyplace. Also for that matter I'm finding no reference on how to take the door apart.. the controls for my mirror have dropped down into the handle.

brougham
04-12-06, 12:51 AM
Yeah they're supposed to light up but a lot of the time they don't work anymore. Do a search for it and you'll find a lot of posts about it. There should also be some posts around that say how to take the door panel off. It shouldn't be too hard to do and it should say it somewhere in the service manual too. Usually the mirror joystick things haev nuts on them to hold them in place so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

ralphb
04-12-06, 07:10 AM
How do you turn on the opera lights ? What is supposed to make them turn on & off ?

DopeStar 156
04-12-06, 09:55 AM
They're supposed to come on with the rest of the exterior lights. Like mentioned above if you buy a 1980-1992 Brougham there's a 99.9% chance the opera lights are out........

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-12-06, 10:00 AM
I miss the opera lights my Roadmaster had on the C pillar. Now that was a cool feature!

CaddymanTom
04-12-06, 03:06 PM
I have one that still works on my 87. I try not to drive it at night just to save it. I know that there have been many post on trying to come up with a replacement of some sort. I dont know what happened to that post.

sizanjdf
04-12-06, 04:32 PM
they came up with a mod you can do by using supplies from a limousine accesory company. just have to snip a couple wires and a little glue...and thats about it.

Benzilla
04-13-06, 12:39 AM
why can't you just replace the bulb? do you guys know something I don't?

sizanjdf
04-13-06, 03:08 AM
there are no bulbs to replace in those lights, they are electroluminescent or somethin.

brougham
04-13-06, 05:58 PM
Do a search for opera lights and you will find a whole bunch of posts about it.

rvan800
04-14-06, 05:01 PM
Occasionally, I have found a few of the opera lights for sale on e-bay. Some come with the chrome molding, other listings may only have the plastic light assembly. I purchased a replacement for the driver side which included the chrome molding for under $30.00. The molding was in better condition than the one on the car.