: Usual 97 problems ;) AC

tcool77
04-10-06, 11:52 PM
I just found out I need a new AC compressor...Also the drier...AC flush...freon...etc...The estimate was $2225.00...lol That isn't happenin'...It'd be cheaper at the dealer... ;) So, how hard issit to change out the compressor and drier?...Would that be too difficult to do solo?...Any help would be awesome...I can get a used compressor for 100 right now...Or new for 365...This place wanted $1660 for it...Also, do you have to replace the drier if you do the compressor?...Guy was saying that...So, should I try to do this, or just suffer?
Thanks,
Chris

zonie77
04-11-06, 04:07 PM
If you are willing to learn how to do it and buy some tools you can do it yourself.

You should have gauges and an evacuator (or have it done). There are several sites that tell you in more detail what to do and why. Here's one, I lost the link to another that detailed the procedures well, a little searching should find it though.

http://www.autoacrepairs.com/index.html

Boris
04-13-06, 09:25 PM
I got a re-man comp. with clutch off of a guy on ebay for $130. It came with a warranty and works like a champ.

When ever you crack open the AC lines you should replace the dryer. They are inexpensive (about $30) and can save the whole system.

You will also need oil for the comp. which you can get at any auto parts and at least check your orifice tube for signs of "black death"(shrapnel and sludge built up on the orifice. (I would replace it as well)

When reconnecting the AC lines to the comp make sure that the o-rings and mating surfaces are spotless and free of any dirt, pull a good vacuum on the system and weigh in the charge. It's better to be a little under charged than a little over charged so don't rush the last step.

Or you can install all the parts your self and take it to a mechanic for the vacuum and recharge.