: Eliminating the exhaust crossover??

eldorado1
04-10-06, 10:26 PM
Has anyone investigated what it would take? I'd like to hear some ideas about exhaust routing. When I forgot to install my crossover, I was running a temporary pipe underneath the cradle. Obviously not the best thing to do because of speed bumps and such, but I'm specifically interested in if it's possible to route the exhaust pipe over the tranny as is done in lots of GM cars...

AlBundy
04-10-06, 10:41 PM
Well dam I didn't know it was possible to mount the exaust over the trans, as you know I'm trying to fabicate some kind of exaust and I'm trying to see how I could divide the two pipes instead of comming together at the Y-pipe.

eldorado1
04-10-06, 10:48 PM
I don't know for *sure*, but I think it will take some (possibly somewhat major) work. I think the problem is there's too much crap over there already. Water crossover, transmission shift linkage, the radiator hose, etc.

I need to take a look at my car tomorrow, it's too dark now. I'd like to get some shorty headers, and not have to worry about the crossover restriction... Maybe go dual 2.5" all the way to the tips

It may take a custom water crossover... If there's all this empty space left from where the exhaust crossover used to be, maybe that'd be a perfect spot for a custom mandrel bent stainless crossover. :thumbsup:

danbuc
04-11-06, 12:13 AM
What do yu mean by "over the tranny"? The crossover pipe is already looping it's way under the engine, and the over the transmission housing on it's way to the back fo the car. Any more "over" and it would be on top of the engine. The only viable space left is under the car.

96-deville-man
04-11-06, 12:39 PM
that sounds like alot of work to get it to go over the tranny. im gonna drop my crosspipe one of these days and see how hard it will be to replace the part that goes under the tranny were it is made into a rectangle.

eldorado1
04-11-06, 04:09 PM
I really don't think the squished pipe makes all that big of a difference in terms of flow. Yes there's more surface area to slow and cool the charge, but it's the same cross sectional area as a 2.25" pipe. The entrance to the pipe is also 2.25". The problem occurs when you want to run larger pipe from the manifolds, or headers.

I took a look today, and it appears as though there is quite a bit of space between the engine and trans. The transmission linkage does get in the way a bit though. The water crossover would have to go, and be redesigned.

For you folks with EGR, your life will probably get miserable.

I still don't know exactly how or if it would work, but it would be interesting to try.

davesdeville
04-12-06, 03:47 AM
What do yu mean by "over the tranny"? The crossover pipe is already looping it's way under the engine, and the over the transmission housing on it's way to the back fo the car. Any more "over" and it would be on top of the engine. The only viable space left is under the car.

... yeah, what danbuc said.

AlBundy
04-12-06, 11:03 PM
Side note, does the speed limiter run according to the revolutions of the tires or the RPM? It's quite clear any modes that deal with the N* has to trick or fool the CPU. Does anyone know what exactly triggers the speed limiter to engage? Is it one function or a multiple function?

eldorado1
04-12-06, 11:24 PM
You couldn't start your own thread? :tisk:

(just kidding)

I believe we agreed that the ABS wheel sensors do not connect to the PCM, so it goes directly off the VSS on the transmission. However, if it becomes disconnected, it can still shift corectly because it uses the transmission gear ratios and RPM to estimate speed.... So in short, you're screwed. The PCM knows your tricks.

PCM->:thepan:<-You.

btw, did you get my PM?

WOTMODE
04-13-06, 02:04 AM
Buy a prom chip that was originally in a car that came with "Z" rated tires. Mine will peg the 150mph speedo, but don't even think about it unless you put "Z" rated tires on the vehicle.

danbuc
04-13-06, 02:46 PM
If you disconnect the VSS your car will go apeshit. I know because I had mine go on me a month ago. The speedo drops out, and the tranny no longer shifts properly...holding gears until around 4500rpm before shifting. The car basically thinks it's not moving, and at the same time it does. Plays havoc with the shift algorithms.

AlBundy
04-13-06, 05:14 PM
You couldn't start your own thread? :tisk:

(just kidding)

I believe we agreed that the ABS wheel sensors do not connect to the PCM, so it goes directly off the VSS on the transmission. However, if it becomes disconnected, it can still shift corectly because it uses the transmission gear ratios and RPM to estimate speed.... So in short, you're screwed. The PCM knows your tricks.

PCM->:thepan:<-You.

btw, did you get my PM?

Got it, Get it friday. :thumbsup:

2dedge
04-15-06, 12:27 PM
Eldorado 1 can you please contact me in regards to the harness and computer you had for sale gc2dedge@hotmail.com (gc2dedge@#hotmail.com)

Thanks

eldorado1
04-15-06, 02:23 PM
10-4, will do.

spookything
05-30-06, 08:43 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but since I cannot send a new PM without 50 posts, and I suspect that 50 to the tops, will PO people. Eldorado1 please contact me RE your computer and harness. I am going to look at a 1994 STS parts car to take the engine tranny and maybe PCM to put in my 1986 Fiero GT.

thing@spookything.com

Thanks

Rick

eldorado1
05-30-06, 11:44 AM
It's a stupid rule, but it must have some reason to exist... In any case, I sent you an email. Stay tuned for a super top secret announcement... :suspect: