: EBTCM replaced -still having problems

cattydrvr
04-10-06, 07:40 PM
I had the dealer replace the EBTCM on my car, so now Im broke:alchi:and one day later TC & Check Engine are lite up again! The dealer cleared the codes - and they checked it twice, couldnt find anything wrong with it. Now 2 weeks later the TC & Check engine come on again - what is up with my car? Anyone had this happen to them? It is now day 3 and the lights have come off, should I just cross my fingers & pray for everything to be ok? or maybe buy black tape & stick it across the dash? Please help.

guardian
04-10-06, 09:31 PM
Just trying to clarify. Please correct what I have wrong:

They replaced the EBTCM and the car was fine for two weeks. Then the car began intermittantly to display the TC and check engine warnings.

Also this question:

PRIOR to the EBTCM replacement were the warning lights on ALL the time, or were they on intermittantly as is the case now?

cattydrvr
04-12-06, 02:11 PM
Thanks for replying guardian. The day I drove it home from the dealer the TC & Check Engine lights came on. I took the car back to the dealer the next day and they erased the codes, drove it for 40 miles - no codes. I picked it up two days later & it was great until the 2nd week - I got the TC & Check Engine light again, also when I hit the gas the car seemed to lose power, so I turned it off & back again it ran ok but the lights are still on. Its been 4 days later and the lights have turned off but I dont know if they will come back again.

Before I got the EBTCM replaced all 3 lights TC, Check Engine, Brake and Speedometer werent working!

guardian
04-12-06, 08:50 PM
Yeah, OK. No good news from me; I do not have the magic fix. Let's hope another poster will have some insight on this one.

When you take your Cat into the dealer you are paying for his time, sure enough, and for the parts he uses to repair your car. But more important than any of that, your are paying for his diagnostic expertise.

Resetting tripped warning lights and a 40 mile check drive do not constitute diagnostic expertise, IMHO of course. I would respect your differing view, unless it were MY car being "repaired" and my wallet being emptied.

These are really complex automobiles. You deserve the services of a Cat-trained tech when you visit your Caddy dealer and fork over whatever money you have remaining after buying gasoline. And not all techs have undergone Cat training. You must ask. You must be tough.

I hope I'm wrong and it would not be the first time. But this problem sounds to me sufficiently difficult that it's going to take the services of a first class, Cat-trained tech to get to the bottom of it.

If the piggy bank is already empty, as you indicated:

What I would do is to collect data while awaiting replenishment of funding. Pay really close attention to what the car is doing. Notice, to the extent possible, cause and effect. Write stuff down. This will reduce your driving joy, if you are doing it right. It is more difficult to feel carefree when you must remain alert for unwanted events. But you might notice something important, something which would provide a critical clue for a competent tech.

Speaking of which, that's the second thing I would do while funding remains scarce: try to find a tech with great, Cat-centric, diagnostic skills. It's not an easy assignment, I'll concede. But it could turn out to be your path to a fix.

Good luck!

ewill3rd
04-13-06, 08:32 PM
What are the codes being cleared?

cattydrvr
04-24-06, 03:08 PM
You're right guardian, I need to find a very good Cat Tech -especially for what I'm paying. I was disappointed a long time ago when I couldnt take him to my regular tech Ive had for years. I've had most of the common problems with my cat and no matter what I will not get ( I know, I know) any other car. I'm not sure what the codes were - I didnt even look at them because I wouldnt know what they meant anyway. In the mean time if anyone knows a good tech in southern california - Hit me up! THANKS.