: egr

Qcaddy
01-17-04, 02:33 PM
How can i tell if i need a throttle body cleaning or a newEGR SENSOR.
I HAVE PO101,P1039 HO2S, PO603,
I just had thew blower motor replaced an idle seem s better.

97 concours
01-17-04, 02:51 PM
On my 97 Concours. The EGR is basically a solenoid. I too got the 603 code and corrected my problem by removing the EGR and cleanning it. What happened in my case is that the EGR valve was stuck from too much carbon build up. I took some WD-40 and sand paper and removed all the carbon from around the valve and the opening. The valve was then free to open and close.

Geno Castellano
01-18-04, 02:01 AM
How can i tell if i need a throttle body cleaning or a newEGR SENSOR.
I HAVE PO101,P1039 HO2S, PO603,
I just had thew blower motor replaced an idle seem s better.

P0101 - Mass air flow sensor reading out of range
P1039 - Pre-converter O2 sensor reading slow response
P0603 - PCM keep alive memory reset
H02S - No such code ..must be a typo or misread code

Nothing to indicate a throttle body cleaning required and there is no such thing to my knowlege as an EGR "Sensor".

The 96 will likely never need a throttle body cleaning. In 96 the idle control system went to a bypass airflow system called Idle Air Control (IAC). This pretty much eliminated the sensitivity to deposit buildup in the throttle body bore causing idle speed control problems. Excess deposits in the throttle body can still cause a "sticky" feeling throttle - it feels like it has high effort to open the throttle from idle and then it suddenly "unsticks" and opens.

If there is a problem with the EGR valve or EGR valve pintle position then code PC0401 or PC1406 will set...

Sounds like there is an issue with the MAF sensor... Either it is fouled or failed or disconnected or an air duct between the MAF and the throttle body is disconnected/leaking unmetered air.

Also, sounds like that O2 sensor is failing. Nothing to do with throttle body cleaning or EGR most likely.

Qcaddy
01-18-04, 11:32 AM
Ok thanks you know i had the sticky pedal feel once .It was real funny , the pedal was like it was sticking on & off car seem to just cost in one gear.
Still would TB cleaning and checking the egr hurt on my 96.
P.S I am having my leaky water pump changed should let cadillac or a qualifed mech. due it .I hear they are work to get out with out damage.

thanks Qcaddy

P0101...mass air flow sensor reading out of range
P1039...pre-converter O2 sensor reading slow response
P0603...PCM keep alive memory reset
H02S...no such code ..must be a typo or misread code

Nothing to indicate a throttle body cleaning required and there is no such thing to my knowlege as an EGR "Sensor"

The 96 will likely never need a throttle body cleaning. In 96 the idle control system went to a bypass airflow system called Idle Air Control (IAC). This pretty much eliminated the sensitivity to deposit buildup in the throttle body bore causing idle speed control problems. Excess deposits in the throttle body can still cause a "sticky" feeling throttle...it feels like it has high effort to open the throttle from idle and then it suddenly "unsticks" and opens.

If there is a problem with the EGR valve or EGR valve pintle position then code PC0401 or PC1406 will set....

Sounds like there is an issue with the MAF sensor...either it is fouled or failed or disconnected ...or...an air duct between the MAF and the throttle body is disconnected/leaking unmetered air.

Also, sounds like that O2 sensor is failing.

Nothing to do with throttle body cleaning or EGR most likely.

Geno Castellano
01-19-04, 12:53 AM
Ok thanks you know i had the sticky pedal feel once .It was real funny , the pedal was like it was sticking on & off car seem to just cost in one gear.
Still would TB cleaning and checking the egr hurt on my 96.
P.S I am having my leaky water pump changed should let cadillac or a qualifed mech. due it .I hear they are work to get out with out damage.

thanks Qcaddy
The throttle body cleaning will not hurt anything but it is really unnecessary unless you feel the pedal is sticking... Sooner or later the EGR valve will need to be cleaned - remove the valve and clean the pintle shaft up inside the pasage in the base...it won't hurt anything to clean the valve unless you let solvent run up the shaft and into the can of the valve. That will eat the insulation off the windings in the can and ruin the valve. Be carefull with the solvent when cleaning the valve.

Honestly I would fix the other problems first and not worry abou the EGR and T'body.

The Northstar water pump is one of the easiest water pumps in the world to change - if you have the special socket the is used to remove the water pump cartridge from the water pump housing. It is next to impossible without the tool, hard with an inferior tool sometimes and a piece of cake with the study KentMoore factory tool.