: Help with Smoke smell

nxxprometheus
01-17-04, 12:44 PM
I bought a 2000 Catera and Ive been looking around for ways to get cigarette smoke smells out of the car. ( from old owner ) I cleaned everything including the floors and it still smells. Ive used Febreeze thinking it would work but now im over powerd by both the febreeze smell and the smoke smell. a Friend of mine said something about going to a Detailer and having them use a Ozone Thing to remove the smell, but it is very expensive. Can anyone tell me what to do to get it out?

Vesicant
01-17-04, 02:08 PM
Have you tried replacing and/or cleaning the headliner in the car? The thin fabric that covers the roof on the inside? Smoke will travel up and get stuck in there. If that fails, replace all the carpet.

Elvis
01-17-04, 06:56 PM
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=167

Every now and then I've been known to light up a cigar while driving. This stuff really works for me.

nxxprometheus
01-19-04, 08:34 AM
No, I havent tried replacing the headliner or anything else in it. I would like to try to avoid doing anything like that. I mean it is a bother when the heat is on more than anyother time, Ive changed all filters too. I know the Ozone thing will work Ill probably have to have that done, My friend told me to put rotten apples in the back seat, I dont think i will be doing that either lol. Well thanks for your reply

nxxprometheus
01-19-04, 08:44 AM
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=167

Every now and then I've been known to light up a cigar while driving. This stuff really works for me.
HEy bud, Ive seen this in Auto Zone, Im going to go get it today, Thanks alot Ill let you know how it works for me.

Elvis
01-19-04, 10:27 AM
The problem is in your ducts. Particularly in the summer time when the air is being re-circulated within the cabin. Find the intake hole under the dash and spray some in there, too.

It should help a lot, may take two or three applications over the next few months. You don't need to spray as much in there as they say you do. One can can do three applications. Leave the car running and blowing for 30 minutes.

nxxprometheus
01-19-04, 12:48 PM
Thank you!!!
I used the spray and ran for about 40 min threw all the modes and the smell is gone!! Now The only thing i have to do now is get the trunk to not smell, Ill probably have to use repeated washings, but I am just so happy now, my car smells like a car and not a ash tray, Thank you Ill probably do this process over a few times over the next couple of weeks to prevent any nasty smells comming back, Thanks again

Elvis
01-19-04, 02:34 PM
That's GREAT! Glad to help! :elvis2:

rapid rabbit
01-19-04, 03:02 PM
No, I havent tried replacing the headliner or anything else in it. I would like to try to avoid doing anything like that. I mean it is a bother when the heat is on more than anyother time, Ive changed all filters too. I know the Ozone thing will work Ill probably have to have that done, My friend told me to put rotten apples in the back seat, I dont think i will be doing that either lol. Well thanks for your reply

Try putting a couple of boxes of Baking Soda, one under each seat, & see if that helps. Some of the boxes are designed for this as they have cutouts to expose the soda.