: audi A3 almost killed me!

moldowan
04-09-06, 08:40 PM
Ok,
I was merging onto the highway with a nice red A3 behind me and i am in 4th gear @ 3k or so. he is behind me and i hit it all the way thru red line and I see him ONMYASS into 5th gear. I let up and give him a thumbs up (he dosen't even look at me) and I think WTF?
How can that car hang with my V????
Any thoughts???? whats the ET's on those things ( i believe it was a s line A3)
-Moldy\ very pissed

DrivingAmericanNow
04-09-06, 08:45 PM
Ok,
I was merging onto the highway with a nice red A3 behind me and i am in 4th gear @ 3k or so. he is behind me and i hit it all the way thru red line and I see him ONMYASS into 5th gear. I let up and give him a thumbs up (he dosen't even look at me) and I think WTF?
How can that car hang with my V????
Any thoughts???? whats the ET's on those things ( i believe it was a s line A3)
-Moldy\ very pissed

Don't beat yourself up. Sounds like a classic case of being in the wrong gear. Merging sounds like a 3rd gear activity, maybe even 2nd, depending on speed. The LS6 doesn't become the monster we all love until it gets up in the RPMs. And that little A3 is no rocket, but it's faster than it looks.

moldowan
04-09-06, 08:51 PM
no i was in the 3k range and all the way up to 6K that bastard was on my ass.
rags say 5.9 0-60 and 14.4 1/4
Matbe he had mods??? but the thing is brand new so what mods could be out there for it? not much i suspect.
Anyway i was really shocked to say the least. maybe it i punched it at 4k i could have pulled but not that much it think.
-moldy

Drift-caddy
04-09-06, 09:10 PM
no i was in the 3k range and all the way up to 6K that bastard was on my ass.
rags say 5.9 0-60 and 14.4 1/4
Matbe he had mods??? but the thing is brand new so what mods could be out there for it? not much i suspect.
Anyway i was really shocked to say the least. maybe it i punched it at 4k i could have pulled but not that much it think.
-moldy

rule one about racing,

1. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE. lol
no all joking aside u were in the wrong gear. Go out and drive ur car again, same speed but now downshift into 3rd and see how it feels.

ChicagoCTS32
04-09-06, 09:17 PM
The S-Line A3 is a little rocket. DSG tranny can shift faster than you.

thebigjimsho
04-09-06, 09:26 PM
You should still be able to beat i though. Now, that engine is similar to the old 1.8T so maybe there are some mods already, especially where it also go into the new VWs.

It sounds like you know your cars, moldy. But could it be an older S4 Avant wagon? They do look very similar.

moldowan
04-09-06, 10:17 PM
it was a new A3 with the 3.2 six in it. 250hp and a DSG tranny.
still fumming over it 3 hrs later-LOL

Devil_concours
04-09-06, 11:08 PM
stock will not hang with the v but those turbo charged ones respond extremely well to mods. You can chip it and instantly gain 50whp. Also that particluar one might have had some turbo work done.

Devil_concours
04-09-06, 11:10 PM
only way to tell whether that a3 was 2.0t or 3.2 is by the badge but i don't think there was a badge available for dsg

livingthedream
04-09-06, 11:15 PM
Do you have a short throw shifter?

Ever since my UUC which changed the car and me forever, by making me feel the rpm better. You have several cars under your hood... the v ... driving in 4th at 3k.... the V getting on freeway in 3rd after living in the 3.5 to 5.5 range and the KILLER V when you run 4k+ to red line in nearly every gear...

People ask how I can drive 90+MPH all day. The reply is that they do not understand driving. If its 35MPH its just into 3rd gear and I am the quickest there. 45 MPH zone is really 3rd and holding in 4th or coasting. the fun is the launch! 100+ is kool but 0-80 is where its at.

livingthedream
turn the key and smile :)

VELOSE
04-09-06, 11:23 PM
Yeah, you need to make sure which one it was. You can get the 2.0t A3 in an S-Line package as well as the 3.2 VR6 Quattro A3.

If it was the 2.0t, it only comes in FWD. They have software to upgrade the ECU and improve whp to 220 and wtq to 240.

If it was the 3.2, that only comes in quattro(AWD). That has 250hp. You won't be able to find those modded yet.

The 2.0t is the lightest of the two. If it was a 2.0t and it was modded with the software, I could see it hanging on your ass. Also, him drafting you helps.

Either way, you SHOULD'VE left him.:D

Devil_concours
04-09-06, 11:29 PM
you should check out many fine examples of modded turbo audi running 9s and 10s

51PHFTY
04-10-06, 12:11 AM
I had a '98 mod'ed A4 1.8T that I put 130K miles on. I gotta tell you guys, some head work, the right "chip," a larger turbo, exhaust and an intake, it held its own. I had plenty of victorys from the unsuspecting. Loved taking on M3's and porsches etc.

Marty

atdeneve
04-10-06, 12:39 AM
Let me get this straight, he stuck on your tail through out 4th gear from ~3k all the way to 6k rpm, at which point you would have been ~120 mph? What!?!?! That's some pesky bugger of an A3. Didn't know they were capable of even getting up to such speeds (at least, not that swiftly, even if the V wasn't full out accelerating in the proper gear, blah, blah, etc.). Is this right?

VELOSE
04-10-06, 01:00 AM
I just read on the Audi A3 forums that theres a turbo kit for the 3.2 liter. The chances that one had this is, slim to none. Too expensive a mod for many to be sporting this. Check this out.............. http://hpamotorsports.com/products_turbo_single_audi3.htm

moldowan
04-10-06, 01:07 AM
yup you read right, 3k to redline that bugger was on my ass. the V WAS pulling like a freight train too!
i could not tell if it was the2.0turbo or not. the exhaust did sound rather deep for the car. seemed a bit too aggressive for stock too me.
Anyway I'll see if i can catch him coming out of the neighborhhod he is in, our ways back home took us the same route and i go by there everyday-:want:

-moldy

moldowan
04-10-06, 01:11 AM
Holy crap!
That HPA stuff is insane-LOL
if it had that in it i don't think my viper could keep up with it!!!!!!
-moldy

Devil_concours
04-10-06, 07:11 AM
Holy crap!
That HPA stuff is insane-LOL
if it had that in it i don't think my viper could keep up with it!!!!!!
-moldy
some of these audis are well past the 500awhp mark

Devil_concours
04-10-06, 07:13 AM
here is a funnier matchup
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~joshua-whitney/files/video/dan-g.wmv

NH Vrod
04-10-06, 07:18 AM
Back when I had my BMW, I was driving North on 93 when I started playing with a A6 2.7T when he went by me like I was tied to a tree, I was doing 130 MPH!! No bull!!! I could not touch him.

Devil_concours
04-10-06, 07:59 AM
Back when I had my BMW, I was driving North on 93 when I started playing with a A6 2.7T when he went by me like I was tied to a tree, I was doing 130 MPH!! No bull!!! I could not touch him.
2.7t in the a6 is pretty much the same as the previous gen s4. You can do a rs4 turbo and intercooler swap, and software upgrade allows the car to put down 400awhp or more.

urbanski
04-10-06, 12:04 PM
needs more Viper :D

or RS6 :p

Mat347
04-10-06, 12:56 PM
My brother just got an A3 2.0T..for being stock, it's surprisingly quick. Got up to 60 easily and quite a bit faster than I expected. I love the DSG, it rev matches on downshifts n everything. I couldn't even feel the shifting.

VELOSE
04-10-06, 12:58 PM
My brother just got an A3 2.0T..for being stock, it's surprisingly quick. Got up to 60 easily and quite a bit faster than I expected. I love the DSG, it rev matches on downshifts n everything. I couldn't even feel the shifting.

They're fun to drive. I love how it blips the throttle at downshifting too. It could be a fun car on the track. Just needs some mods.

V-Smooth
04-10-06, 01:48 PM
Devil, is that propane I smell...? That's a funny video :)

Devil_concours
04-10-06, 05:53 PM
Devil, is that propane I smell...? That's a funny video :)
if it was a diesel truck, you would be smelling the propane but from the sound of it, it's not a diesel engine. Also you can't see the massive amounts of black smoke through the exhuast

Devil_concours
04-10-06, 07:10 PM
sadly us version of vw/audi have no balls. Lot of more aggressive driving features have been removed. :mad: