: camshaft swap "9" motor to "Y" motor

WOTMODE
04-09-06, 08:05 AM
I've reviewed threads regaurding bigger cams, more power, but all at higher rpm and slowing the car down because of loss of low end torque. I have to do head gaskets in my 95 STS, so I figured I would hop it up a little.

I noticed that the "Y" motor makes more hp and torque all the way up to 4400 rpm vs. the "9" motor, but peaks 25 hp less with 5 more lb.ft. of torque. I also know that "9" motor came with about 3.73 final drive ratio, and the "Y" with 3.23.

I'm thinking that the "Y" camshafts and the "9" drive ratio would really rip, but I would need a prom chip to prevent trans slip codes and get my shift points where they should be.

Anyone know where to get a custom chip? Am I on crack? Opinions please.

CadillacSTS42005
04-09-06, 09:22 AM
I've reviewed threads regaurding bigger cams, more power, but all at higher rpm and slowing the car down because of loss of low end torque. I have to do head gaskets in my 95 STS, so I figured I would hop it up a little.

I noticed that the "Y" motor makes more hp and torque all the way up to 4400 rpm vs. the "9" motor, but peaks 25 hp less with 5 more lb.ft. of torque. I also know that "9" motor came with about 3.73 final drive ratio, and the "Y" with 3.23.

I'm thinking that the "Y" camshafts and the "9" drive ratio would really rip, but I would need a prom chip to prevent trans slip codes and get my shift points where they should be.

Anyone know where to get a custom chip? Am I on crack? Opinions please.

1st off the final drive of the 9 is 371 and the Y is 311
2nd yes a chip could be made but it would def have to be custom check superchips
3rd is it doable? maybe idk for sure but i also think the 9 motor has larger pistons as well not sure though

goodluck hope this helps

zonie77
04-09-06, 10:46 AM
This is from another recent thread. I wrote:

"The SLS engine is tuned (cam grind) for bottom end power. STS for top end. They get different gearing, the STS has lower gears (more rpm @ any speed).

You can bolt them together and they will work, but you may or may not be happy with the results. You will have more bottom end power, less @ 5000rpm. If you live in the city and do 99% of your driving uner 50 you might be very happy. If it's suburban still OK. The shift points will seem a little high.

The other way doesn't work well at all. With higher gearing and less low RPM power you would be very unhappy.

Our old member didn't recommend mixing them either way but if it's 99% city I think you'd have an interesting car."

If you drive at low speeds, or fast starts are important it should be a sweet combo. If you put 3.73 gears in a Mustang GT do you have to have your prom flashed?

danbuc
04-09-06, 11:59 AM
The 2005 Bonneville GXP that had the N* in it used the LD8 (vin Y) engine wiht the L37 Tranny package (3.71:1 final drive). It seemed to work pretty good. If I recall correctly, I think that what B-B-o-b (our fomer resident GM expert) was driving back when he was still here.

Zorb750
04-09-06, 01:22 PM
The L37 (9) with the 3.11 gear would probably bog pretty badly. As it stands now, the cars are fairly close speedwise, especially until about 50. Putting the engine with the weaker low end with a taller gear would be very bad. You would have V6 power below about 4000 RPM.

FrankT
04-09-06, 02:23 PM
This kind of fits in with this thread, that why I didn’t start a new one.

I had to have my engine replaced in my '99 STS with a new GM N* engine. After driving it for 20k I do believe its broken in. Since then I have determined that my new engine part #12567313 / L37 lacks some power, in comparison to the original engine. In short the new engine runs smooth, doesn’t use any oil and gets good mileage 20+ combined. No codes, data looks good. The engine just doesn’t have the crisp rip-power that I had before, it’s like I lost about 50hp.:hmm:

Do you think it’s possible for the engine have the LD8 cams? OR possibly different lower compression pistons?

I can live with it but it would be nice to have my torque and power back to what it was.
Build date on this engine is 12/2004 if it helps.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Frank

danbuc
04-09-06, 09:51 PM
The L37 (9) with the 3.11 gear would probably bog pretty badly. As it stands now, the cars are fairly close speedwise, especially until about 50. Putting the engine with the weaker low end with a taller gear would be very bad. You would have V6 power below about 4000 RPM.

Yes, swapping an LD8 for an L37 engine in say, an SLS would be a really bad idea. But swapping an L37 for an LD8 in an STS would make for a great combination. Low end torque with a relatively short final drive. Like I said before, this is what was used in the Bonneville. I'm not sure what the Lucerne is using now, but it might be the same package as well.

WOTMODE
04-10-06, 12:17 AM
Can these custom chips be set up any way I want? I'm all about the stop light drags, smokin a Mustang to the merge(gettinig difficult with their new models), giving a BMW a run he wont forget.

If I have the chip burned for a relative short shift and keep it in its power band, I think this will work well. Thanks for the info.

sonzilla
02-16-08, 01:42 PM
Will a 94 Seville Vin # Y LD8 fit in a 96 Deville Vin # Y LD8????

They both have the same Vin Y so that means their both the same LD8 right?

It should be a direct swap right??

NHRATA01
02-16-08, 06:04 PM
If you put 3.73 gears in a Mustang GT do you have to have your prom flashed?

Yes, and similarly if you change the rear gear in any GM car such as a Vette, Fbody, or GTO you will need a reprogram to get the speedometer and odometer to read correctly. Going to a higher rear gear than stock, the speedo will read fast vs. actual, and you will rack up more miles. Going to a lower gear than stock, the speedo will read slow, and you'll rack up less miles.

sonzilla
02-16-08, 07:38 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but people are giving me conflicting stories. I pretty much need a definitive answer as to if the same motors VIN Y 94' seville into a VIN Y 96 deville.

Any help is appreciated.

sonzilla
02-26-08, 12:21 PM
^^^^^^^Wow you guys have been very helpful Wow I'm going to tell all my fellow Cadillac owners that this site is very helpful with quick replies. "Yea right":rolleyes::ripped::rtfinger::dflip: :rtfinger::dflip::rtfinger: :dflip::rtfinger::dflip:

Ban me I can care less..

Submariner409
02-26-08, 12:31 PM
Sit tight and look at your other post in this forum.

urbanski
02-26-08, 06:48 PM
Ban me I can care less..

ok..

AJxtcman
02-26-08, 07:41 PM
ok..

Sometimes I feel like staying out of the old stuff. It can go soar quick. I read the guy's post, but why in the world would you go back-wards in years?