: Ah, darn... My 94 Eldorado Is having problems.

caddyfanatic2
04-07-06, 09:22 PM
OK, Where do I begin to explain this.

94 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe, Northstar Engine

*New*
Plugs - AC Delco Platnium
Wires - Duralast (Lifetime warranty!)
Fuel Filter - Autozone

This is what the car does, it runs rough. And if I sit between the two tailpipes I can hear the engine miss every once in awhile. Kinda like a sputter. The problem is not as pronounced as it was before I put that stuff on.. but its still noticable.

Also its hunting at idle or something. Like it'll be at 550 RPM or so then surge up to 750. Have a fit of misfiring, then settle down again.

Is it my ISC motor making the idle fluctuate?
Why is the dang thing still missing? No codes.

I gapped the plugs at .050 and I pulled them the other day and they all looked fine, I thought mabey I broke an insulator or something. Plug wires are all wired correctly too.

Please help me you guys, its driving me crazy to drive the car like this. Oh, and by the way what are avg fuel economy for these cars? 15 city 30 HWY?

Could it mabey be my fuel pump? It seems to me like its been alittle noisy latley. Would a bosch be a nice Quieter alternative?
Thanks,
Elijah

Ranger
04-07-06, 09:48 PM
Many people have reported problems with aftermarket wires on the Northstar. I am going to stop short of saying that is your problem as A/C Delco wires are not cheap. That is a choice you'll have to make.

ISC motor is a posibility. Does it move in and out at idle?

Vacuum leak is another possibility.

ISC or vacuum leak could cause "hunting" or surging, but not a misfire.

zonie77
04-07-06, 10:17 PM
A dirty or sticking injector? You might put it on a scope to eliminate ignition problems.

caddyfanatic2
04-15-06, 02:31 AM
a scope? All i know, is now I've Put in injector cleaner, changed the fuel filter, traced the vaccume lines, I found out the idler pulley for the tensioner has a bad bearing and I bought the wrong one... so tomarrow, I will change that. But i know that that had nothing to do with rough idle, or missing. I pulled off the cover on the top of the engine and theres little specs of oil in there... should I be worried? Could the bits of oil have coated the injector wiring and its making one short intermittantly? Hmm, well.. anyway this is driving me nuts... I want my baby to be nice and smooth!

1993 eldorado green1
04-15-06, 12:37 PM
a scope? All i know, is now I've Put in injector cleaner, changed the fuel filter, traced the vaccume lines, I found out the idler pulley for the tensioner has a bad bearing and I bought the wrong one... so tomarrow, I will change that. But i know that that had nothing to do with rough idle, or missing. I pulled off the cover on the top of the engine and theres little specs of oil in there... should I be worried? Could the bits of oil have coated the injector wiring and its making one short intermittantly? Hmm, well.. anyway this is driving me nuts... I want my baby to be nice and smooth!

if theres a running condition that would make the car stall the isc is gonna be moving to try and correct the issue. i would start with the missfire first, whaen you find that you will see that the idle is smooth again.

i have the same wires and my car runs fine, my 94 had plugged egr passages and it caused a miss similiar to what your describing, may or may not be the problem.

i would start the engine, while its running enter diag. and see if theres any "current" codes.. i was having problems with the crank sensor and it would only give a valid code while the engine was running. give that a shot and repost with your findings..

eldorado1
04-15-06, 01:37 PM

Oil is normal, it's from the PCV and "heavy ends" of the fuel after shut down. You didn't mention milage, but an intermittant miss could be a lot of things. At this point, I'd be suspicious of the coils, and the injectors. The injectors are particularly prone to leaking, even low mileage ones. At idle, when the demand for fuel is the least, a dripping injector would make the most impact.

zonie77
04-15-06, 02:31 PM
a scope?

Yes, remember the things mechanics used before scanners? It will eliminate or confirm ignition as a problem. If it's not ignition I'd bet on an injector problem.

caddyfanatic2
04-17-06, 09:45 PM
With it running, P095 & S codes. They're all history. The car has 91,000 on it. and I put a new PCV valve on it last night, still runs bad. I thought mabey a coil pack, but when I take off any of the spark plug boots I can hear it arcing. Im starting to think it might be something with the injectors, so how do I get new ones for this car at a relativley cheap price?

eldorado1
04-17-06, 09:47 PM
new? cheap? haha... no.

Either cheap and used, or new and expensive. Pick one.

CadiJeff
04-17-06, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a flakey coil pack to me
try searching for that

caddyfanatic2
04-17-06, 10:13 PM
Holey cow... I just looked up that code, p095.

P095 (E095) ...... Engine Stall Detected

Phwew... I mistaked it for the other one that said there was a prob with the shift solenoid. I guess that that makes sense though.

And I know the other ones are for my ride control, its shot, but I cant buy new shocks untill I pay the car off. Its going to be thousands I can see.

Hey, If anyone wants to see pics check out the pics on www.myspace.com/elijahphillips (http://www.myspace.com/elijahphillips) Its under pics. I got a real good deal on her. or... haha.. at least what I think was a real good deal.

blunted
04-18-06, 01:14 PM
Would a leaky injector be cured with a cleaning or would that just make the problem worse ?

CadiJeff
04-18-06, 10:09 PM
I doubt the injector would be significantly effected either way.
If the coil packs check out my next suspect would be the fuel pressure regulator this one is a bit more complicated to do but not impossible. search for the procedure it should be posted here somewhere, just keep in mind that the 1994 northstar intake manifold is somewhat different than the later intake manifolds (ie. the FPR is inside the manifold).

caddyfanatic2
04-18-06, 10:41 PM
I should be able to check and see if the fpr is bad by doing a fuel pressure test, right?

Also I got to ride in a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood today, and im in love! Once this car is paid off then im going to buy one of those. I love the boaty ride. See... My car is big, but it handles real well. This fleetwood reminded me of my '73 coupe deville.

davesdeville
04-19-06, 03:53 AM
You can test a FPR by checking if the diaphragm will hold vacuum by applying vacuum to the vacuum nipple, and seeing if it holds vacuum. Vacuum. Vacuum. You can verify the actual pressure by using a gauge on the schrader valve, and driving with the gauge taped to the windshield and having a passenger watch it.

Infamous Lac
04-22-06, 12:27 PM
Im am having the exact same problem with my 95 eldo with 104,000, except my started all of a sudden after a trip to the gas station. I changed plugs, wires, pcv and fuel filter it just smoothed up a bit. Power is way down at WOT with is leading me to think it is a bad FPR because I can't detect a miss from one individual cylinder.

mallmon
04-23-06, 08:18 PM
I think you may have a timing problem here. The sputtering....misfire....sounds like fouled plugs, bad tensioner, and timing problems. Instead of guessing, you should have your car looked at by a reputable person in the service community.

denscor
04-23-06, 11:35 PM
Wires - Duralast (Lifetime warranty (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#)!) they are not the best wires! I have had new ones be messed up!!! Pay the extra and get ac delco

gushue1234
05-25-06, 01:44 AM
My 94 Eldorado was having the same problem. Come to find out 2 wires were switched. 2 was going to 3rd cylinder and 3 was going to 2nd cylinder i found some very usefull information on how to go into your computer and disable the cylinders one by one

Go into OBD with engine warmed up idling (hold off and warmer on the air conditioning panel till your dash seems like its goin crazy)

It will scan all systems and tell you which codes are current or history

Using HI(Yes) and LO(No) answer yes(HI) to PCM?

Answer No(LO) to PCM DATA, PCM INPUTS, and PCM OUTPUTS

Answer Yes(HI) to PCM OVERRIDES

Goto PS04 (Selective Injector Disable Mode)

To disable the displayed injector(displayed on where the temperature is) press the COOLER button

To Select another cylinder press WARMER

Whatever cylinder makes the least amount of difference when you disable it is the misfiring or "weak" cylinder.

Hope this information helps you all... it helped me, plus I thought it was pretty cool how you can do those types of things without a shop computer

auroradude
05-25-06, 08:09 AM
Dude, get AC delco wires and your problems will be solved most likely

caddyfanatic2
06-02-06, 05:41 PM
Wow, let me say you guys are good. It was a flakey coil pack. It finally went all the way out. It was the one for #1 cyl & #5 I believe. $32.00 And the car no longer misses, or has hesitation problems. Now I think its about time to change the Fuel Pump. Its getting worse. When it idles Not only do i hear it but it has times the noise gets really loud, and the lights dim some. I think a bearing is going out or something. Im kinda wondering if I can put an external pump in it with the same pressure and flowrate. That way I dont have to worry about getting low on gas and the pump not being lubricated.

Ranger
06-02-06, 07:05 PM
I don't think an external pump will have a high enough flow rate. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that these high flow pumps heat up and in order to keep them cool, they were put in the tank. Just fill the tank at 1/4.